PDA

View Full Version : Dumpster Dive to make a saw bench

steven c newman
06-16-2014, 9:57 PM
Weellll most of it was from a Dumpster Dive. Found an old Waterbed frame sticking up, carted to "find" home. Had to cut it to length on my "saw tub". One of those big, gray, plastic jobbies turned upside down. Plunked the 2x10 on it, marked it for the length I wanted, and a circular saw to cut it. I used the "leftover" to form a bench to do the build on. 291393Yep, saw tub. The work center was a 6' step ladder291394:rolleyes:Yep, instant work bench. Put the saw bench's top on the plank, and start the build291395Cut notches to house the splayed legs in. Circular saw to kerf a few cuts, knock out the waste, chisel and a rebate plane to smooth it up. Cut four legs from a Store Bought 2x4x8' by clamping to the "bench" set the saw to the right tilt, 22 degrees, I think.291399install them with screws and glue. There is a "v" notch at one end, so one of the braces had to go on the inside. Plane to level the top, and the legs flush. Set it down, and try a saw out291401 and it seemed to do ....OK. About knee high to me. Maybe 30" long. Did I say plane the top?291402 there is one nice thing about a step ladder as a work bench, IF you need to clamp something vertical291403like to install a brace. a finger clamp can hold it while you drive a few screws. I had to buy a box of 2" screws, and a $3 2x4. Spent a nice sunny afternoon outside. Not a bad day, afterall?

Matthew N. Masail
06-17-2014, 9:15 AM
I can think of worse ways to spend a day ! It's great when you make things for the cost of your sweat. Q: why not add 2 braces lower down?

steven c newman
06-17-2014, 10:42 AM
With my big feet?? I be sure to stub a toe every time. LOL

Legs can flex just a wee bit, to allow for uneven floors. When I put my knee down on it, I feel it settle a bit, but it is very stable.

Zach Dillinger
06-17-2014, 12:21 PM
I like it. I will be interested to see how it holds up over time.

Matthew N. Masail
06-17-2014, 12:41 PM
With my big feet?? I be sure to stub a toe every time. LOL

Legs can flex just a wee bit, to allow for uneven floors. When I put my knee down on it, I feel it settle a bit, but it is very stable.

Lol, if your that kind of guy, you will stub it on the leg anyway, believe me.

steven c newman
06-17-2014, 2:06 PM
It sat outside all last winter, still solid and just a bit weathered looking. Have been using it to break down barn siding boards.

steven c newman
07-02-2014, 4:26 PM
being outside, it has another good use. All them rusty saw blades i bring home from the Rust Hunts, need to be cleaned off BEFORE they can come into the house. Bench top is flat enough to help out, and short enough to allow normal saw to lay on it. Palm Sander and 100 grit paper to get the mess off. Nice breeze out there, so the rusty dust goes away. I think there was a song about that? Ah,,,,"Dust in the wind..."

steven c newman
07-27-2014, 5:41 PM
Did find another use for this bench293814Means I can saw sitting down. Saw bnch, with a mitresaw box, 293815I had rehabbed the saw, and wanted a Test Drive. Didn't feel like putting a few screws into the benchtop, so a few clamps were used. Both worked nicely.

Charles McKinley
11-10-2014, 12:00 AM
Hi Steve,

Nice bench.

My Great-Grandad Brown would say, "Never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lay down." :D

Pete Moe
11-11-2014, 8:15 AM
Nice work. Some of my favorite materials have been...proactively salvaged. The university near here just sometimes throws perfectly good stuff in the dumpster. Like the glass-front oak laboratory cabinets... and the maple library carts with the heavy duty casters. Lots of lumber, even a chainsaw (works fine for me!) in a case.

I have had to explain myself to campus police a few times, but once they know I am taking stuff OUT of the dumpster instead of putting stuff IN, they mellow out and even get a little interested.

Good for you, rescue that good wood.

Jim Matthews
11-22-2014, 10:57 AM
Q: why not add 2 braces lower down?

I made mine with a brace for the legs, stretcher between the brace.
It's high enough that I dont' trip on it, low enough that I can hold it down if necessary.

Jim Koepke
11-24-2014, 1:28 PM
Nice thing about a big top saw bench is there is room for a few dog holes. The dogs come in handy when you want to hold a piece securely for planing or sawing.

A 2X is also heavy enough for a holdfast.

jtk