PDA

View Full Version : New Jet 1221VS Lathe...Noisy.?

Dave Winters
06-16-2014, 5:36 PM
Just got my new Jet 1221VS lathe.. and it runs fine but makes a rough sounding noise, maybe bearings? It's actually my second go-round with this one as the first one arrived damaged. The tailstock handwheel was broken in three places, and the lathe made the same rough sound, so I thought maybe when it took the hit that broke the handwheel, it damaged the bearings as well. I seem to remember to have heard that some bearings need a break-in time...or is that an old wives tale?
Thanks in advance-
Cody (age 14!) and Dave (old and in the way)

Doug Ladendorf
06-16-2014, 7:17 PM
Wow Dave, that's frustrating. I hope you called customer service and they are taking care of you. Bearings should be good to go and it should work well out of the box without any setup other than what is outlined in the manual.

You might ask the mods to move this to the woodturning forum. You will get more engagement there.

Good luck,
Doug

Kyle Iwamoto
06-16-2014, 9:24 PM
Oh bummer.... Both of my Jets run quiet from the box and still do. The lathe shoud be quiet. Does it make noise with nothing mounted?

Tim Leiter
06-16-2014, 10:22 PM
I'd probably ask for a new lathe as it seems you have a defective one or that got damaged during transport. Call the manufacturer to get it replaced, if they will. You paid for a new one your should expect a new one with no issues. Just my opinion and what I would do.
Tim.

Jeff Belany
06-17-2014, 11:20 AM
Ran my 1221 last night and it is REAL quiet.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Stan Smith
07-29-2014, 3:05 PM
Sorry, I'm a little late posting to this thread. My motor made a small noise as soon as I plugged it in. The Jet tech said it could be the fan hitting the shroud. That noise is gone now but I can hear another one in the motor. It's not loud or constant though. I started using this lathe in April and have only made tool handles and pens on it. The Jet Tech did offer to replace the motor, but I decided to wait to see if it's just a break in issue. Sure hope it's not bearings. Looks like quite a job to replace the motor and I had a difficult time getting the mounting bolts in the lathe frame holes. Jet support does seem to stand behind their products so working with them on your problem could be very helpful. IMO.

John Keeton
07-29-2014, 4:45 PM
This is more toward Stan's post. My 1642 had an intermittent motor noise when new and it seemed like a metallic noise. I removed the fan from the motor and no noise. Apparently, one of the spot welds on the fan was "clicking" when in operation. Jet sent me a new fan and all is well.

Stan Smith
07-29-2014, 5:31 PM
Thanks, John. I used to have a 1642 years ago. If I'm not mistaken, the motor is a lot easier to get to on the 1642 than on the 1221.