PDA

View Full Version : World Cup

Chris Padilla
06-16-2014, 5:35 PM
Okay, here we go...about 20 minutes before the puck drops, first pitch, kick-off!!!!

G O, U S A!!!!!!!!!

Chuck Wintle
06-16-2014, 6:55 PM
Okay, here we go...about 20 minutes before the puck drops, first pitch, kick-off!!!!

G O, U S A!!!!!!!!!

Its 1 nil for the United States! Go USA!

Shawn Pixley
06-16-2014, 7:44 PM
What a corner kick after the equalizer!

Chris Padilla
06-16-2014, 8:00 PM
I guess it's you and me, Shawn! LOL!!

What a win!!!! 3 points, Baby!!!!!

Eduard Nemirovsky
06-16-2014, 8:17 PM
Good win but OK game.
Ed.

Shawn Pixley
06-16-2014, 9:32 PM
With Portugal next and likely mad by being thumped by Germany, USA had better work on holding possession better. Hopefully, their fitness will not be called into question. They looked like they were hurting out there.

As a non-sequitor, I saw opposing players help stretch each other out when someone had a cramp in the heat in several of the games. Sportsmanship like that is rare but worthy of praise.

Chris Padilla
06-16-2014, 9:34 PM
True. Ghana spent a lot of time around our box and the USA looked like they hadn't played together much until about the 80th minute when they finally had some bonafide attacks. They won't go far playing like this but let's see how they do against Portugal in a few days. Getting 3 points and the Ghana monkey of their back is HUGE!

Jim A Walters
06-16-2014, 9:49 PM
Great to see USA start out with a win and a good deal for US soccer in general.

+1 for the corner kick. Brooks gets all the credit but what a great kick by Zusi to lay it in there.

Jim

Eric DeSilva
06-17-2014, 1:34 PM
Sadly, someone blew the DVR'd surprise for me last night, but I still had fun watching the first 10 minutes and last 10 minutes. I'm damn glad they won, but they really seemed to be fighting upstream--I think they had some stars align for the win. Hope it keeps happening for them. All that being said, the Dempsey goal was a beautiful piece of work and the goal by Ghana was also something to watch. Aside from the incident in the Germany/Portugal game, so far I'm really impressed with the sportsmanship I've seen. And there have been some really beautiful moments of athleticism as well--Rooney's cross to Sturridge, Messi's close quarters skill... It's been fun so far. Just wish I could see more games!

Chris Padilla
06-17-2014, 1:54 PM
VLC Media player running at work...don't tell anyone I said that. ;)

Shawn Pixley
06-17-2014, 4:43 PM
Brazil - Mexico: rough game - far from the beautiful game. Referee is unable to control the game. Fouls are not called even with some nasty takedowns. More than one player down per minute. Player are just throwing other players around with no fouls called. Mexico can't hold the ball in midfield. Brazil can't swing the ball side to side without losing posession.

On the plus side, the Mexico keeper Ochoa, is having a great game.

If were scoring, I'd take a point from each.

Chris Padilla
06-17-2014, 6:11 PM
I didn't start watching Mex-Brazil until the 60th minute but what you describe sounds about right. It was a win for Mexico and a loss for Brazil.

Shawn Pixley
06-17-2014, 7:25 PM
I didn't start watching Mex-Brazil until the 60th minute but what you describe sounds about right. It was a win for Mexico and a loss for Brazil.

The start was worse than the end. As you say, a win for Mexico.

Bill McNiel
06-17-2014, 10:08 PM
Shawn - the Ref set the tone from the begining and we got a brawl instead of a solid match between two quality sides. I was really looking forward to a great passing/skill game as am deeply disapointed.

BTW- it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that dehidration induced cramps / hamstring issues occur in that kind of climate. Onus on the training staff.

Shawn Pixley
06-18-2014, 2:13 PM
I was impressed with the Socceroos. They played with confidence and a good tactical plan. They were just overmatched against the Dutch.

Pat Barry
06-18-2014, 2:32 PM
I watched more soccer in the USA vs Ghana game than I have seen in the past three years combined. That said, and 'hearing' the discussions I have this question: . Is the US 'acting' on par with the rest of the world or will this be a factor in holding the US back from being competitive? Honestly some of these guys can make a simple body contact look like they were hit by a train. What gives - hockey players take a slapshot in the face, skate to the bench, get stitched up and play on.

Trevor Howard
06-19-2014, 11:48 AM
Bye Bye Spain, so sad :D, here's hoping England don't go the same way today.

Dave Sheldrake
06-19-2014, 12:11 PM
I hope they do Trev, I truly do...I despise football with a passion and the amount of time I have the dam game stuck on my TV is mind bending.

Soldier gets shot or blown up, they get up, dust themselves off and carry on, footballer gets a near miss from a tackle and spends 3 days on the floor crying like a 2 year old and needs a years recovery before they can do so much as use a kettle again.

cheers

Dave

Chris Padilla
06-19-2014, 6:16 PM
Bye Bye Spain, so sad :D, here's hoping England don't go the same way today.

...and they are out as well! Geez. Germans look strong...French and Dutch as well. Europe still has some power.

Chris Padilla
06-19-2014, 6:19 PM
I watched more soccer in the USA vs Ghana game than I have seen in the past three years combined. That said, and 'hearing' the discussions I have this question: . Is the US 'acting' on par with the rest of the world or will this be a factor in holding the US back from being competitive? Honestly some of these guys can make a simple body contact look like they were hit by a train. What gives - hockey players take a slapshot in the face, skate to the bench, get stitched up and play on.

I guess it is simply a part of the sport. I read an article about how the US players simply don't play that way but if everyone else is doing it, then they are missing out on some strategy and getting a call or two thrown their way. Morality is great but as the famous saying goes, there are no moral victories. FIFA is training their refs to recognize all the acting and some have been penalized for it. I think they need one more ref out there...kind of like when the NBA went with 3 refs. Either that or the side judges need to be able to provide input.

Shawn Pixley
06-19-2014, 9:54 PM

As Chris said, right now the US team isn't playing to the ref's. There have been several retired futballers who have come out against both "flopping" and racism. The other problem is the officiating. Some refs will not call a foul unless the bone is sticking out, others call fouls on any 50/50 ball. The Mexico / Brazil game had poor officiating IMO. People were taken down without going for the ball or others simply grabbed and pushed out of the way - no foul. There are cultural differences in the way the game is played as well as how it is officiated.

Eric DeSilva
06-21-2014, 7:07 PM
I ended up watching Mex v. Brazil on DVR and you are right--pretty thuggish. On the other hand, the second half of Germany v. Ghana was some really gripping play. Just goes to show that none of these teams are invincible... Can't wait for US v. Portugal tomorrow.

Eduard Nemirovsky
06-22-2014, 8:05 PM
what a goal by Jones - amazing!!:D

Chris Padilla
06-23-2014, 7:22 PM
So close for the US to get the W but the draw works, too! I was VERY happy with the US's play against Portugal. They were significantly better in this game versus the Ghana game. As Landon Donovan said, "Soccer can be a funny sport." They played much better against Portugal and were down 1-0 whilst playing poorly against Ghana and up 1-0. I like our chances at a draw with Germany and impressed with Ghana's play against Germany. We shall see Thursday!!

Shawn Pixley
06-23-2014, 9:23 PM
The Dutch-Chile game today was quite good. The Chileans outplayed the dutch for the first 30 minutes. After that the Dutch took midfield. In the second half the Chile team would attack against a stout Dutch defense and the Dutch would counter with two forwards. Robben worked really hard all game and the second goal was a tribute to that work he wore the defenders down with his long runs and the Chile defenders didn't want the ball on his left foot. He made a wonderful cross to a teamate who also ran who got an easy goal.

There really wasn't much to play for as they were both "in." But the runner up gets to play Brazil whereas the first placed team wouldn't see them until the finals.

Chris Padilla
06-24-2014, 11:19 AM
I hate these concurrent games they have scheduled now!!! 3 games/day was pretty cool!! :)

Trevor Howard
06-24-2014, 11:44 AM
I hate these concurrent games they have scheduled now!!! 3 games/day was pretty cool!! :)
Unfortunately, they always play the last games of the group simultaneously, so no-one has an advantage if a certain result in one game would allow a team in the other game to change tactics.

Pat Barry
06-24-2014, 11:45 AM
I got on the USA soccer bandwagon, but quietly so as not to feel too engaged after the Ghana win. Now after the heartbreaking tie against Portugal I'm still riding the bandwagon but with one foot on and one foot dangling, ready to jump if need be. Now we go against supposed soccer powerhouse Germany and need a tie - do we even have a chance?

Chris Padilla
06-24-2014, 8:10 PM
So all the talk is of the psychological-issue Suarez...aka Mr. Biter. I hope they kick him out of the World Cup. I don't care if he is their poster child...reprehensible act!!!

Shawn Pixley
06-24-2014, 9:42 PM
I am a soccer / futball fan. Suarez is immensely talented yet seems unable to control his demons. I'd like to see a year's suspension. This is not his first time and without correction, it won't be his last. (Kinda sounds like puppy training doesn't it?)

The adage goes, "soccer is a gentleman's game played by ruffians. Rugby is a ruffian's game played by gentlemen." Suarez seems to try and prove this each time. I understand the frustration he feels by being marked successfully by a skilled adversary. However, his choices bring discredit to him, his team, and the game. There needs to be a Sterling-like response.

Trevor Howard
06-25-2014, 12:06 PM
I agree Shawn, like you said not the first time for Suarez. At the last World Cup, he blatantly hand balled to save a goal, got sent off, but Uruguay went through as Ghana missed the resulting penalty. When he plays within the rules he can be a joy to watch, thinking 2nd goal against England (even though it eliminated us) how he kept his head with the ball coming over his shoulder. I've read some newspaper are asking for a 2 year ban.

Shawn Pixley
06-25-2014, 1:59 PM
Argentina & Nigeria - exciting game from a casual fan's point of view. Skilled attackers who can put the ball in the back of the net. Both defenses are very poor though. I've seen university teams with much more sound defenses.

Shawn Pixley
06-25-2014, 2:07 PM
I agree Shawn, like you said not the first time for Suarez. At the last World Cup, he blatantly hand balled to save a goal, got sent off, but Uruguay went through as Ghana missed the resulting penalty. When he plays within the rules he can be a joy to watch, thinking 2nd goal against England (even though it eliminated us) how he kept his head with the ball coming over his shoulder. I've read some newspaper are asking for a 2 year ban.

I remember well. Diego Fourlon was so outstanding in that world cup. He was able to deliver the ball with pace from almost midfield. Suarez seems to have anger / aggression issues. I've played against people like that - hated it. I appreciate a tough competetor, but there needs to be an element of control. In fairness though we see suarez typ behavior in American sports too. Suh was suspended for stomping on a player in football. Ron Artest in basketball. Are examples that come to mind.

Shawn Pixley
06-26-2014, 2:16 PM
Despite the loss to Germany, the US team advances!

Suarez gets only 4 months, and nine games under suspension. Too little IMO.

Chris Padilla
06-27-2014, 12:02 PM
On to play Belgium!! Very cool on the advance. The Americans withstood withering pressure to beat Ghana 2-1, played brilliantly before coughing up a late equalizer against Portugal and finally concluded group play with a 1-0 heavy-legged defeat to Germany. Omar Gonzalez summed up the experience perfectly when he said, "Last game's draw felt like a loss, and today's loss felt like a win. It's pretty weird." Good stuff...fun times!!!

Shawn Pixley
06-29-2014, 2:03 PM
So Brazil outlasts Chile. Colombia cruises. The Dutch break Mexico's heart. Ochoa is a great goalie though.

Bill Edwards(2)
07-01-2014, 11:16 AM
I liked this: :D

Shawn Pixley
07-01-2014, 11:59 AM
I liked this: :D

Maybe so. But in American Football (NFL) the average game length in 2 hrs 54 minutes, but the actual action time is 11 minutes (Wall Street Journal 2010). That is with unlimited substitutions. In Futball, to get to Penalty Kicks after 120 minutes of play (with the vast majority being action time) with only 3 substitutions. There is a dramatic difference in the energy expended to get through overtimes between the two sports.

Soccer and hockey are two sports that are so energy sapping that to avoid a tie after regulation, Penalty kicks or shots are used. In The NFL if there is still a tie after overtime, a tie is awarded except in the case of playoffs and the Super Bowl.

Bill, that is not to say that I like the PK system I don't. But I do understand why it is done. To tell the truth though, in my 30+ years of playing I can remember only 2 PK shootouts. We did have some ties as shootouts are only needed in knockout play. The vast majority of time, a team wins in regulation. I'll have to look it up but the number of PK Shootouts this world cup seems very high.

Bill Edwards(2)
07-01-2014, 12:20 PM
Maybe so. But in American Football (NFL) the average game length in 2 hrs 54 minutes, but the actual action time is 11 minutes (Wall Street Journal 2010). That is with unlimited substitutions. In Futball, to get to Penalty Kicks after 120 minutes of play (with the vast majority being action time) with only 3 substitutions. There is a dramatic difference in the energy expended to get through overtimes between the two sports.

Soccer and hockey are two sports that are so energy sapping that to avoid a tie after regulation, Penalty kicks or shots are used. In The NFL if there is still a tie after overtime, a tie is awarded except in the case of playoffs and the Super Bowl.

Bill, that is not to say that I like the PK system I don't. But I do understand why it is done. To tell the truth though, in my 30+ years of playing I can remember only 2 PK shootouts. We did have some ties as shootouts are only needed in knockout play. The vast majority of time, a team wins in regulation. I'll have to look it up but the number of PK Shootouts this world cup seems very high.

Hey! I don't watch golf either. :D

Pat Barry
07-01-2014, 12:28 PM
I would sure like to see them gut it out and play for a winning goal ala Stanley Cup playoffs. You can give them a 10 minute break after 1/2 hour if need be. These guys could go all day anyway. On the other hand - even hockey uses the shoot-out for (meaningless) regular season games.

Shawn Pixley
07-01-2014, 2:01 PM
I never understood golf. The better you play the less you get to play?

Dave Sheldrake
07-01-2014, 6:46 PM
I hate football even though it seems to be our national sport...that said the Commitment, Dedication, Effort, Sportsmanship and real Desire of the American team tonight was inspirational. Our overpaid supposed "team" would do well to learn from our American friends.

cheers

Dave

Shawn Pixley
07-01-2014, 8:08 PM
The USNMT played their hearts out. Most teams would have given up after the 2nd ET goal. The heart they showed despite being out played most of the game is remarkable. Howard's goal keeping was sensational. Gonzales played with a lot of guts after spraining his ankle. the US side just didn't have enough midfield holding power. They were on the defense all game. I subscribe to the notion the best defense is a good offense. I say that as a defender for most of my playing days. Klinsmann's calls on the team were very good. I wouldn't argue on anything. The team has nothing to be ashamed of. They should be proud of their accomplishments. This is something to build on.

Chris Padilla
07-02-2014, 1:03 PM
You can clearly see the difference in the European and South American teams in terms of crisp passing, sound dribbling, and ball control. It is a thing of beauty to watch them move the ball down the pitch. The Americans look like a train wreck at times with poor passing, not handling balls, and losing control of the ball too easily. They had spurts here and there with 6-7-8 good, crisp passes in a row that got them down the field but it was inconsistent. Their play against Portugal, down 0-1 early, was their best game of the 4 played. That was the team I had hoped to see against Germany and Belgium. Instead, they sat back and played D most of the game and ended up losing. I agree with the notion of the best defense is a good offense. We need work on our offense. Overall I'm still happy with their performance and Tim Howard was amazing and kept us in every game. Now if we can field a team that can smash it into the back of the net a bit more often, we'll go very far...maybe all the way.

Shawn Pixley
07-02-2014, 6:04 PM
Chris,

I agree. We will do better when more American Players are in the English Premier League, La Liga, and the Bundeslige. You can only get to be the best by playing the best. I think Klinsmann did a fine job. Julian Green was definately the right choice. I feel sorry for Landon Donovan, but his skills have deteriorated, and it is time for a change of the guard. Unfortunately, that will include losing and retooling at times. Great job by the US National Team! On to the round of eight. I predict the final four to be Brazil, Netherlands, Germany and Argentina. The group round ended up as an accurate predictor of the group of eight as every group winner won in the group of sixteen.

Chris Padilla
07-03-2014, 12:17 PM
Up for the Fourth (c'mon, FIFA, did you REALLY have to schedule games on the Fourth of July!!! :p ) is France/Germany, a classic European battle and Brazil/Colombia, a classic South American battle! Good point about all the group winners advancing...I hadn't picked that up! Brazil is getting by without being classic Brazil sharp so we'll see how long they can keep it up but I expect they'll go through. Germany hasn't been sharp either so I suspect France might take them.

Shawn Pixley
07-03-2014, 2:02 PM
It is possible we could have an all South America or all Europe final. But we will see at least one European team in the final four.

In my eyes, the Brazil / Colombia match is the tightest. Neymar potentially being out, gives an advantage to Colombia. His speed can be troubling. But even if he plays, he may not be at top speed. So far, i've been unimpressed by Brazil. However, Brazil has the crowd and comfort with the heat over all the other teams. Both the Germans and the Dutch have struggled in the heat. I don't see how Qatar will pull this off in 2022.

As to Germany / France, I think the Germans will take them. They have a lot more depth and I think they can hold the midfield against France. Schweinsteiger has not looked good and their wing backs can struggle, but I don't see France utilizing the width of the field as well as Germany or Holland. They also don't have Ribbery, who before his injury was mayber the best offensive player over the last 12 months. I confess, I would love to see Klose get one more goal to break the lifelong Goal record tie he shares currently.

The Fourth of July schedule is unfortunate, but so is the overlap with Ramadan. However, I don't see FIFA nor Brazil worrying about US holidays. Given Brazil's religious nature, I was mildly surprised that we would see matches on Sundays.

Shawn Pixley
07-05-2014, 9:30 PM
On to the semi-finals with the best teams advancing - Germany, Brazil, Argentina, and the Netherlands. I think Germany will take Brazil without Neymar and Silva. Argentina and the Netherlands should be closer. I think The Dutch are a more balanced team though Messi can be magical. Netherlands 2:1 Argentina.

Chris Padilla
07-06-2014, 7:24 PM
Great games all around. Once they go up a goal, they tend to sit back a bit. It's too bad about Neymar but the officiating was pretty non-existent until about the 60th minute. I think we'll see an all Euro championship game.

Eric DeSilva
07-07-2014, 9:07 AM
Great games all around. Once they go up a goal, they tend to sit back a bit. It's too bad about Neymar but the officiating was pretty non-existent until about the 60th minute. I think we'll see an all Euro championship game.

Given where the score and game was, I actually thought Neymar was just running the clock--sad commentary on the state of diving. I feel for Brazil that he's out the next game, but can't same the same about Silva. Personally, I'd like to see Argentina advance to the final, but that's perhaps just because I like watching Messi. I also wasn't that hugely impressed by the Dutch during the Costa Rica game. Should be interesting either way.

Shawn Pixley
07-07-2014, 1:02 PM
I know what you mean when Neymar went down. The refereeing in the game was horrible. If the ref doesn't take control of the match from the start, he will never have control and the fouls will esculate in severity. Neymar should be the one to call out the officiating. The worst example of this was the '78 Final. A huge number of yellow cards were given and four red cards.

The Netherland / Argentina will be interesting. I was coached in the Dutch "total football" system so have a fondness for it. The way the Dutch play today isn't that, but the efficiency they play with isn't beautiful but it is effective. The offense runs through Robben who is a remarkable player in his own right. I have no faith in Van Persie as I think he is mentally weak and definately not a clutch or big game player. Hundulaar and Kuyt are very good. Argentina has a lot of flair and Messi is great but without Di Maria I think the dutch will close on Messi the way the Costa Ricans closed on Robben.

Chris Padilla
07-08-2014, 1:21 PM
Germany takes Brazil today but only because Silva and Neymar are out. I like the thought of Brazil rallying around the lost comrades and others stepping up and being the home team but somehow, I think Germany squeaks this one out. Here's to a good game with fair officiating. Is that possible?! :)

Chris Padilla
07-08-2014, 5:03 PM
OMG, 5-0 Germany at half time!!! WOW

Shawn Pixley
07-08-2014, 7:42 PM
Germany took them to the woodshed today. I don't think the loss of Neymar would have prevented this. Silva's absence was cetainly noticed. But Brazil was living on borrowed time. They were the most penalized team in the competition. They foul to cover defensive mistakes. That catches up with you over time (Silva's two yellow cards) and against technical proficiency. The Germans didn't do anything specatacular. They just executed good futbal 101. Pass, cross, pass, shoot. After the first two, the brazilians fell apart. It could have been worse. Germany didn't press in the second half and the end gift goal to Oscar (Neuer is probably really pissed) made it seem closer than it was.

Larry Frank
07-08-2014, 8:31 PM
I am not a big soccer fan but watched Germany destroy Brazil. The Germans were either awesome or the Brazilians terrible or some of both. The passing and play set up by the Germans was something to watch. I feel sorry for Brazil after they spent several Billion Dollars and lose like that.

Trevor Howard
07-09-2014, 11:43 AM
Last night I watched a piece of History being made. WOW

Chris Padilla
07-09-2014, 11:46 AM
The Dutch take on the Argentinians today! I am still standing by my all Euro WC championship.

Shawn Pixley
07-09-2014, 4:28 PM
The Dutch take on the Argentinians today! I am still standing by my all Euro WC championship.

I'd like the Dutch to win. But I fear, if they did, they'd break my heart in the final.

Shawn Pixley
07-09-2014, 6:49 PM
Congratulations to the Argentinians. The Dutch couldn't withstand two extra time games in a row. Both Robben and Messi were effectively neutralized.

Argentina gets the honor of losing to the Germans.

Chuck Wintle
07-09-2014, 8:19 PM
Congratulations to the Argentinians. The Dutch couldn't withstand two extra time games in a row. Both Robben and Messi were effectively neutralized.

Argentina gets the honor of losing to the Germans.

Waiting to see the Germans triumphant over the Argentinians! Go Germany.

Chris Padilla
07-10-2014, 11:39 AM
I think Germany will win but due to my wife's allegiances (she is Serbian and therefore hates Germany...I think it's genetic! LOL!), I will be pulling for Argentina to take the Cup.

Shawn Pixley
07-13-2014, 5:47 PM
Germany Wins! Argentina's defense was very stout though. The Argentinian midfield was mugging Schwienstieger though. Hats off to all the world cup teams and players!

Chris Padilla
07-14-2014, 4:00 PM
I thought for sure, like most of us, that it was going to PKs to determine the winner. Argentina's defense was very very good until the blew it near it the end and left Gotze free and unmarked in the box. Awesome game!

Shawn Pixley
07-14-2014, 6:49 PM
Chris,

They were marking Klose when he was on. When they brought Gotze on, they stopped that and when back to the collapsing scheme they used pretty succesfully during the tournement. They midfield and defense would pack the box and try to counterattack.

Pretty much all the stars on the German team go back to Bayern. Add to that Robben and Ribbery and it's little wonder why Bayern was the 2013 Champions' League winner. I have no idea why the last minute swoon this year to all Real Madrid in.