PDA

View Full Version : How'd I do? $561 out the door for a loaded unisaw

Todd Burch
06-16-2014, 5:13 PM
http://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/auction/view?auc=1140870

220 volt. Delux Unigard. 52" Unifence. Aux table w/ shelf and outfeed table.

Chris Padilla
06-16-2014, 5:22 PM
I dunno...the arbor run-out looks bad. :p

Todd Burch
06-16-2014, 5:28 PM
Wow - you have good eyes!

Jim Andrew
06-17-2014, 12:56 PM
Think if it wasn't rusty from sitting outside, you got a steal!

Paul McGaha
06-17-2014, 1:13 PM
Well, I'd say,

You Suck !!!

I think you did great.

PHM

Bill McNiel
06-17-2014, 2:25 PM
"you done real good son"

Mike Cutler
06-17-2014, 4:02 PM
It looks good Todd. An hours worth of elbow grease, and it would appear that you're good to go.

Jim Matthews
06-17-2014, 7:02 PM
It's haunted, and will make your hair fall out.

​(you suck)

John McCaskill
06-17-2014, 10:28 PM
Circle Saw can fix you up with new arbor bearings.

Peter Quinn
06-18-2014, 4:45 AM
Unless there is a raccoon living in the cabinet you've done great! Enjoy that.

Todd Burch
06-26-2014, 7:32 PM
Picked up the saw today, just got it home. Just under 375 mile round trip. It's missing a few bits:

miter gauge
handle to lock down the unifence
a few screws and bolts to hold accessories on

The throat plate has been trashed in use. Need a new one of those.

This is a right tilt, 5HP, 220V, single phase machine. 34-814. Pretty heavy. It was tough unloading it out of the pickup by myself. Need to wire up a cord for it. Might be a day or two before I turn this thing on. Will need belts eventually too - these are pretty stiff from sitting. Seems, per the first two digits of serial number, it's a '98 model.

The table top has a strip, about 2" wide, of light rust across the front - should come off with no residual sign, or if it leaves a sign, it will be of no account. The table shows a lot more wear and tear than my '06 Powermatic. I have one scratch on my PM top from spinning a heavy piece of wood on it, while sheetrock screw was underneath it. This table as lots of front-to-back scratches from running rough materials through it. No major abuse though like dings or drill holes.

The shop guy was watching me load it, asking me questions. He mentioned that their lawyers are making them transition over to Sawstops.

Arbor bearings seem fine so far (cursory inspection). No raccoons living in it. No ghosts noticed so far. So far, so good.

Todd

Bill Orbine
06-26-2014, 7:43 PM
You did good! Wait till you plug it in! :eek:

Todd Burch
07-03-2014, 4:01 PM
After I inventoried everything, it seems the advertised Delta Outfeed Table (50-302) was not with the booty, and to make a long story short, I ended up getting $100 back.

I picked up new triple-belts, a new throat plate, dado throat plate, a missing lock knob for the blade raising wheel, some trunnion lube, an arbor wrench set, and new 50T blade and a miter gauge. With the new belts, the saw is fairly smooth. Arbor bearings seems tight enough for my needs. I also picked up a set of long Biesemeyer rails and a leg set. Fence should arrive next week.

It starts up strong - sounds good. With the trunnions lubricated, both the raise/lower mechanism and tilt mechanism are very smooth - no more squeaky / jerky movements.

I need to move this moose over to my fixer-upper so I can start on cabinets. It's heavy. Need to borrow one of my machinist friends along with his dial indicator to make sure the table, blade and fence all jive up properly too. (Do I need a machinist to do this for me? No, it's just a social thing!)

Keith Hankins
07-03-2014, 4:37 PM
winner winner chicken dinner

Carroll Courtney
07-04-2014, 1:22 PM
Worth every penny even before the refund,what a fantastic saw.The 3hp uni are strong,I can't imagine the 5hp what a beast.Congrats----Carroll

Todd Burch
07-07-2014, 10:49 AM
I decided to put the unifence, extension table and uniguard up for sale locally. Maybe I can reduce my cost by another $100. Fingers crossed.

Todd Burch
07-22-2014, 4:21 PM
Mission accomplished.

$561 for the saw
Minus $100 credit for no out feed table
Minus $50 for the fence that sold on CL
Minus $50 for the guard that sold on CL
--------------
$361.

Now, add the VSCTools Fence and T-square, the new Beisemeyer 52" rails, the new Delta out feed table, new 50T blade, belts, miter gauge, throat plate, dado throat plate, yada, yada, yada, and that adds about $1300 to the $361, so I guess I'm in about $1700 for a "new" 5HP Unisaw. Still not a bad deal.

I lubed up the trunnion - what a huge difference. It was dry as a bone and squeaky. Now, the raise/lower and tilt mechanisms are as smooth as silk.

Table top and Fence got adjusted via a dial indicator - she looks good to go. Now to make a side feed table and install the out feed table. Then, make a cross cut sled and a box joint jig. ;)

Todd Burch
02-14-2015, 4:26 PM
I sold this saw last week. I was done with it. $1200 smackaroos. It was a great deal for the buyer. I sure got my use out of it. I saved several $K doing all the trim and cabinets and built-ins myself.

I had installed the Delta outfeed table, but never made a side feed table.

Art Mann
02-14-2015, 4:38 PM
On the face of it, that looks like a good deal. My only objection would be it is right tilt and I prefer left tilt. For that price, I think I could put up with the tilt.

Todd Burch
02-14-2015, 7:36 PM
This was my first right tilt, and I didn't care for it so much. I like the left tilt too.