PDA

View Full Version : Any Quickbooks experts?

Kev Williams
06-16-2014, 1:34 PM
Been using Quickbooks since the mid 90's, my current version is 2005. QB for my business QB is extreme overkill; I have no employees, I don't use QB to write checks, etc. I don't use the program "correctly" at all, but how I do it has always worked for me. I've never never not once ever had a problem-- until today.

Which is estimated taxes day. And I had to pay a vendor bill. So I entered the bill, saved it. Then went to the 'pay bills' screen.

And there at the top of the list of bills to pay, is a bill to "Company AA", for $25.19, that was due 4/25/2013. The problem is, I haven't done business with "Company AA" in over 15 years, and, the amount, invoice number and all descriptions match a bill for "Company CO", which is one of my customers, and a vendor (I engrave parts for them that I buy from them)...

I did a company backup last Friday morning, and another backup Friday evening.

Friday morning's backup shows all is well, with the bill in question all correct, but the new bogus bill appears on the Friday evening backup. I've checked all the numbers and everything adds up fine, nothing else wrong that I can find.

It's no problem to call up the Friday morning version, then add the invoices, the one bill and bank deposit made since then, then re-backup and just move on. But why did QB do this in the first place? I have to wonder what else it might decide to scramble up on its own?

Mike Chance in Iowa
06-17-2014, 1:18 PM
Not sure why it doesn't match up now, but have you tried to Make Inactive Company AA in your vendor list? Have you tried deleting the new Vendor Bill and then creating a new one?

Kev Williams
06-17-2014, 3:52 PM
I can make the company inactive easy enough, but the goofy bill-switch will remain the same. I can just switch the names then mark it paid like it was before then all should be the same again. My MAIN concern is how it happened in the first place? To do that on purpose takes quite a few steps that I know neither me nor the wife could've done by accident!

I suppose it would be prudent to do a backup, then remove and reinstall the program?

Mike Chance in Iowa
06-17-2014, 7:02 PM
Uninstalling and reinstalling may help, but my gut feeling is that whatever happened is not going to be resolved by doing that. Quickbooks is a very quirky program. Since it's a 2005 version, I doubt you would receive any support from QB. If you're running it on a newer OS, they would say it wasn't designed for it and if you're running it on say XP, they'll say they don't support systems that old.

When my QB has done oddball things over the years, I have not found a reason for it, but once I resolved the issue and fixed whatever it goofed up, the problem didn't happen again.

Steve Rozmiarek
06-18-2014, 9:09 AM
Intuit probably has a built in bug to "encourage" you to buy the new version. I despise that company, but have to use it. Grrr.

Phil Thien
06-18-2014, 9:27 AM
Look for a utility called File Doctor from Intuit. Run it on your file. Hopefully it gripes about a problem. Maybe it fixes it, maybe it doesn't, you just want it to notice there is a problem. If it doesn't complain, then stop and throw your hands up.

If there IS a problem, restore last Friday's backup. Run the File Doctor on THAT file. Hopefully it gives you an all-clear. Now duplicate the transactions you added since Friday, and run the File Doctor utility again. Provided it says everything is okay, keep on using the restored file, do lots of backups, and check it with File Doctor from time to time.

Also, make sure you have all your QuickBooks updates, and if you use multiple PC's, make sure they're ALL updated.

You may have found a bug in the version of QuickBooks you're using. You may have a hard drive developing a problem. You could have a bad stick of RAM. The key is to get back to a known-good file and keep checking that it stays good, to restore confidence.

Also, if you're experiencing any other strange problems on this particular PC, get the hardware checked out. Run something like memtest86 on it overnight to make sure you don't have any problems with your RAM.