PDA

View Full Version : dresser set for our daughter

John Gregory
06-30-2005, 11:03 AM
The constuction is done. Now time for the finish. The dressers are from a Woodsmith Magazine plan. (The first time we have used a plan). Constructed of Red Oak, the drawer sides are poplar. Our daughter wants a dark stain (Walnut). This was our first attempt at dovetails. We used a Porter Cable jig. 4112 I think.

Thanks for looking. I will post final pictures here when the project is completed.

Roy Wall
06-30-2005, 11:12 AM
John,

Looks terrific and very strong......those will last and last!!!!

The DT's look perfect! do you cut the tails & pins at the same time?

John Gregory
06-30-2005, 11:19 AM
John,

Looks terrific and very strong......those will last and last!!!!

The DT's look perfect! do you cut the tails & pins at the same time?

Hi Roy. Both the pin and tails are cut at the same time on the jig we have. Once the set up is right, it is not hard to do. But getting the set up correct can use up lots of scraps. LOL

Ken Fitzgerald
06-30-2005, 11:44 AM
John .....Fantastic work! Your daughter will love it! More detail on the woods used and what you'll use for a finish. More photos after finishing please!

Steve Beadle
06-30-2005, 11:49 AM
Looks like you've done a wonderful job in creating what I am sure will be a precious heirloom. Did you brand it anywhere? I had a small brass plaque made for an armoire I made last year for my youngest daughter, since I don't have one of those "Handcrafted by" branding irons.
Be sure and post finished pictures, when you've added the drawer pulls!

John Gregory
06-30-2005, 11:56 AM
Looks like you've done a wonderful job in creating what I am sure will be a precious heirloom. Did you brand it anywhere? I had a small brass plaque made for an armoire I made last year for my youngest daughter, since I don't have one of those "Handcrafted by" branding irons.
Be sure and post finished pictures, when you've added the drawer pulls!

I did get a branding iron last Christmas. So we will brand it when completed and countersink a 2005 penny for the year of it's creation.

Michael Gabbay
06-30-2005, 12:11 PM
John - very nice work. Your daughter should be vary pleased.

Mike

Lee Schierer
06-30-2005, 12:16 PM
Very nice looking work, I can't wait to see the finished photos. Make sure you finish the insides of the drawers and carcase with as many coats as the outside gets. It will prevent warpage and moisture related problems later on if you do.

Bob Noles
06-30-2005, 12:21 PM
John,

What a terrrrrrrrrrific job! You are a true craftsman.

I am so glad you posted the DT's. I am giving serious consideration to the PC4212 and I think you may have just finished the sale :rolleyes: I was heading out the door for a long weekend and got an email from my friend Roy Knapp here on the forum advising me to take a peek at your post before I got away. He has been giving me some good advice on DT jigging and wanted me to see how well you did.

Thanks for sharing and have a great 4th.

Robert Ziegler
06-30-2005, 12:27 PM
Very nice work.
Question: The drawer fronts appear to be solid - are they?
And, how much does the raised portion extend from the cabinet frame?
The affect is beautiful. It's going to be an family treasure for a long time.

Bob

John Gregory
06-30-2005, 12:58 PM
John,

What a terrrrrrrrrrific job! You are a true craftsman.

I am so glad you posted the DT's. I am giving serious consideration to the PC4212 and I think you may have just finished the sale :rolleyes: I was heading out the door for a long weekend and got an email from my friend Roy Knapp here on the forum advising me to take a peek at your post before I got away. He has been giving me some good advice on DT jigging and wanted me to see how well you did.

Thanks for sharing and have a great 4th.

If I didn't already have the older sibling of the PC4212, I would buy the 4212. I think it has a couple of extra features mine is missing. But the feature mine has is it is paid for :D

Roy Wall
06-30-2005, 1:00 PM
John,

Did you use veneer sheet goods for the sides between the stiles & rails..?

John Gregory
06-30-2005, 1:02 PM
Very nice work.
Question: The drawer fronts appear to be solid - are they?
And, how much does the raised portion extend from the cabinet frame?
The affect is beautiful. It's going to be an family treasure for a long time.

Bob

Bob,
The drawer fronts are 3/4" solid red oak. I did the bevels on the drawers using a jig for my router table as suggested in the plans. You can do the same thing with a table saw, but I thought using the router would reduce some sanding. The raised portion protrudes about 1/4" from the face frame.

John Gregory
06-30-2005, 1:06 PM
John,

Did you use veneer sheet goods for the sides between the stiles & rails..?
I used MDF core veneer for the panels. We had requestes oak ply from our wholesaler, but the guy brought out the mdf by mistake. The MDF core is more costly than the ply. We didn't noticed the error until we were unloading at home. I don't mind the MDF core, I just didn't want to spend more money for it.

An interesting note, we bought the material for our next project. A dresser made out of Lyptus. There is no lyptus plywood, just MDF core. At least that is what National Wood Products told us.

Jay Knepper
06-30-2005, 1:14 PM
Great job, John. Those will be in the family for a long time!

Sam Blasco
06-30-2005, 1:25 PM
man, there are a lot of lucky relatives associated with SMC members. Great job!

John Gregory
06-30-2005, 1:35 PM
man, there are a lot of lucky relatives associated with SMC members. Great job!

This is an expensive hobby, we all know that. However in our case, family members pay for the material for our hobby. :D . They support our "habit" One of our daughters made the statement that our hobby brought happiness to others too.

Roger Fitzsimonds
06-30-2005, 1:37 PM
John That is beautiful. I really like the dovetails. A real family heirloom there.

Roger

Vince Sandy
06-30-2005, 1:49 PM
Wow! Great looking pieces, you should be very pleased and your daughter is sure to love them. Please post pictures after you're finished with the set.

Thanks for sharing, Vince

lou sansone
06-30-2005, 2:39 PM
as others have said ... great work.. first impression is very nice design and clean lines. the inset drawers are hard to get looking as good as you have done.

let us see how they come out after being finished
lou

Earl Kelly
06-30-2005, 2:47 PM
John, nice job. Lots of work went into those pieces, I'm sure. Here's a little tip for you. Get some small drawer glides. They nail in just inside the cabinet front, some are thinner than a thumb tack, to over a 1/16th thick. These will allow you to fine tune your drawer front gaps top and bottom. Even if one side is cocked up or down you can put one under the opposite to even the front. Mohawk Finishing carries these, I don't know who, but others should have them also.

Jules Dominguez
06-30-2005, 3:03 PM
Really nice work, John. They look very attractive unfinished and should look great when finished. How do you plan to finish? The open pores of red oak can cause real problems with an oil stain or an oil finish. I know it can be handled, but if it's not specifically addressed with the finish system, the results can be unhappy.

John Gregory
06-30-2005, 3:15 PM
John, nice job. Lots of work went into those pieces, I'm sure. Here's a little tip for you. Get some small drawer glides. They nail in just inside the cabinet front, some are thinner than a thumb tack, to over a 1/16th thick. These will allow you to fine tune your drawer front gaps top and bottom. Even if one side is cocked up or down you can put one under the opposite to even the front. Mohawk Finishing carries these, I don't know who, but others should have them also.

We got some slick strips. The plan suggested this so we thought we would give them a try. Very slick plastic tape.

Aaron Montgomery
06-30-2005, 3:45 PM
That's some really nice work! Be sure to post again when you've got them finished!

Thanks for sharing!

Aaron Montgomery
06-30-2005, 3:56 PM
John - did you download this plan or get it out of a magazine? I didn't see this project on the Wood magazine site. If it was a magazine - could you post an issue #?

Thanks!

Jim Becker
06-30-2005, 4:16 PM
Really nicely done, John!! Super!

John Gregory
06-30-2005, 5:22 PM
John - did you download this plan or get it out of a magazine? I didn't see this project on the Wood magazine site. If it was a magazine - could you post an issue #?

Thanks!

I error in the magazine I stated. It was Woodsmith. Issue 53 for the lingerie (http://plansnow.com/lingerie.html) and issue 125 for the chest on chest (http://plansnow.com/chestonchest.html). They have other matching pieces too. Out daughter wants night stands (http://plansnow.com/nitestnd.html)next.

We made the plans from the magazine. I had a neighbor give me some old issues when he retired and moved to warmer places. Then the wife and I purchased some back issues to make our set more complete

Earl Kelly
06-30-2005, 6:10 PM
We got some slick strips. The plan suggested this so we thought we would give them a try. Very slick plastic tape.

John, the peel and stick strips work good also. Just make sure to set them in a little deeper than the drawer front depth.

Don Baer
06-30-2005, 6:40 PM
All I can say is WOW. Those are truly future Familty hierlooms. I learn more and more just by reading on this forum. I can honestly say that hanging around here is like serving an apprentice ship. The more you look the more there is to learn.

Vaughn McMillan
06-30-2005, 8:23 PM
Beautiful work, John! Very clean lines, with just enough details to make it interesting. The dovetails are also a nice touch, and they look expertly done.

- Vaughn

Corey Hallagan
06-30-2005, 8:36 PM
Nice work! That is a great looking piece. You guys and your dove tail joints are killing me! They look so good... I have never cut dovetails before. I think I might want to start on something smaller, like a jewelry box drawer :)

Corey

Jerry Olexa
06-30-2005, 9:11 PM
Very nice work!! Like the contrast on the dovetails. Your family will be pleased and proud!

Jules Dominguez
06-30-2005, 9:17 PM
You and your wife do great work, John. I think anybody would be proud of that set. I sure would. How do you finish red oak to avoid the bleedback problem with the open pores?

Aaron Montgomery
06-30-2005, 9:34 PM
I error in the magazine I stated. It was Woodsmith. Issue 53 for the lingerie (http://plansnow.com/lingerie.html) and issue 125 for the chest on chest (http://plansnow.com/chestonchest.html). They have other matching pieces too. Out daughter wants night stands (http://plansnow.com/nitestnd.html)next. Ahh.. thanks John. I have to say your pictures do these pieces more justice than the plan pictures do. Very nice indeed!

John A. Williams
06-30-2005, 9:39 PM
I was thinking the same thing, about how much nicer they look in your pictures that in the plan pictures. Very nice work!!! How hard was it to get the gaps right on all those drawers?

John

Jason Tuinstra
06-30-2005, 11:39 PM
John, well done. Clean lines and tight joints - can't ask for much more. I'm sure it will be loved and used for years to come.

Michael Gibbons
07-02-2005, 7:36 PM
Looks great. You can't find that quality in store bought stuff. All solid wood, what a concept!

Christopher Stahl
07-03-2005, 12:31 AM
This is excellent work. The drawers are fantastic. Perfect spacing.