PDA

View Full Version : Shop made skewed rebate plane

steven c newman
06-15-2014, 8:20 PM
Made from a blank of old Barn wood oak. Bed is set at 45 degrees , but the iron is also skewed forward at about 15 degrees. It has a movable fence to set the width of cut, but no nickers. Not sure how a nicker would be mounted in the side of a wood bodied plane. 291348Iron is 1" wide. It came from an old Harbor Freight lathe chisel, a skew in fact. Ground off the Tang until it had a nice rounded shape. The wedge also has several angles ground into it. The bedding angle, a angle to match the skew of the iron, and a bevel near the escapement hole. The idea is that shaving come up the wedge, hit the escapement area and spiral right out the side. Top edge is carved like most traditional Chinese planes. There is a step up front. Four 45 degree saw cuts, two of which are deeper the the two in front. A chisel then removes the "excess" to round the top. Rear end is also chisel carved to fit the palm. Fence has two bolts that come up through the bottom of the plane and into a pair of square nuts, Those sit in mortises sized to fit and lock them in place, 291349like this. A #3 phillips screwdriver to loosen them up to set the fence. 291350Like this. In use, just like any other skewed rebate plane, except for them shavings291351Yeah, them. Nice and light weight plane, one handed if need be. Adjustments are by a small hammer. Nice weekend project.

Judson Green
06-15-2014, 9:21 PM
Cool Steven!

Matthew N. Masail
06-16-2014, 10:13 AM
That great! how square are you able to get the rebate ?

steven c newman
06-16-2014, 2:00 PM
All depends on HOW you hold the plane. Keep it upright, it plows a nice square rebate. Just wish there was a way to add a nicker. and be able to go cross the grain. Really easy to make, IF you can saw to a line. Iron was an old lathe chisel and very thick.....no chatter.

Judson Green
06-16-2014, 2:12 PM
A few seconds on Google image search...

And sometimes ones not enough...

Thought this was cool too. If ya look close this one is made the same way you did yours but the maker glued a block on to partially cover the rabbit, I guess adding more strength. If ya did that you could add a knicker with a wedge.

Matthew N. Masail
06-17-2014, 9:02 AM
I don't see why you can't add a nicker with a wedge or screw to the side of the plane. if you screw a blade (like a V blade) with the backside facing the plane, than you don't even have to cut a mortise to get it to cut perfectly in line with the planes side.

steven c newman
06-17-2014, 2:32 PM
Well, at the moment, I happen to have a Wards #78 rebate plane, basicly a clone of a Stanley #78. It came in the mail as a Mint Condition Ebay plane for ~ $16 or so. Been using it to mill tenons with

Don Kingston
06-30-2014, 10:17 PM
That's a nice bench previous post, and I am sure this sweet plane is not as easy as you make it sound. worth a try though.

steven c newman
07-01-2014, 9:29 AM
About a weekend to do. The main part is two saw cuts, for the iron to sit in. A bit of carving to make the round escapement hole in front of the iron. Wedge took several tries to get it fitted just right. I used an old lathe chisel because it was thicker than the plane irons i had. The fellow that make the original version of the plane, cut down a plane iron.

Note: the bed for the iron is the skewed part, the other cut is square to the side of the plane.

steven c newman
12-06-2014, 10:21 PM
Just a Bump for anyone that want to try one of these. Kind of fun to do, really...