PDA

View Full Version : What is a "cast clone" bandsaw?

Marc Rochkind
06-15-2014, 12:43 PM
Reading through some posts here, I see the term "cast clone." Could someone explain what that refers to? I have a feeling that the Grizzly G0555P I just ordered is a "cast clone," but I'd sure like to know why.

Bruce Page
06-15-2014, 12:58 PM
It refers to the many 14” Asian clones based on the Delta 14” bandsaw design.

Marc Rochkind
06-15-2014, 1:56 PM
Thanks, Bruce!

ray hampton
06-16-2014, 12:47 PM
will the parts from a clone work good if they are use to replace a part on the machine that was clone

Rick Potter
06-16-2014, 1:04 PM
I tried putting some generic blade guides on an old Delta once (might have been a jet). Didn't fit...sloppy.

I think you will find that when copying machines, a lot of the parts were done in metric measurements....close, but no cigar.

On the other hand, I am sure some parts fit.....maybe. My best analogy is trying to replace old cabinet hinges with new ones of the same size and appearance. Screw holes are almost in the right spot, but not quite.

RP

Bruce Page
06-16-2014, 1:05 PM
will the parts from a clone work good if they are use to replace a part on the machine that was clone

Ray, some parts might be interchangeable between brands but I wouldn't count on it.

Gus Dundon
06-16-2014, 4:58 PM
The cast clones band saws are usually cheaper compared to Delta saws. Any bandsaw that looks the same with the older type of Delta saws are considered as cast clone.