PDA

View Full Version : Shenui, G. Weike or ??? for first purchase... your input please.

Brett Tossell
06-14-2014, 10:30 PM
Hello there...

I'm new to the forum and an avid 3d printer / tinkerer from Phoenix. I've been a long time lurker - newly registered as I've finally got approval from the wife to buy a laser cutter.

I'm not afraid of buying from China - as I used to be in the import business in the past - and brought in tons of stuff from China - and I think the price to value ratio is good.

For background - I've worked with a laser cutter on a couple of occasions thanks to our local hackerspace, and really enjoy the challenge. Recently - I've reached out to several Chinese suppliers, and I've been learning much from reading here. In the past, I've built a 3d printer, and have used this to design and create all kinds of plastic things, but now I want to reach out into lasers.

Shenhui has several good offerings - I've been looking at their SH-G1290-100W-Reci ($4,000). I've noticed several of the veteran posters here seem to have good things to say about Shenhui and their products, and based on that I'm encouraged.

G. Weike has really worked the customer service end taking the time to answer questions and give good feedback. They are offering their LC1290 with the following:

LC1290 motorized z ,Reci 100w laser tube ,red dot ,CW5000 Chiller,USB port ,RDCAM system, knife and honeycomb table, based on FOB Qingdao USD4800

Other companies have also submitted proposals - and I'm open to suggestions - but I would rather purchase something that other forum members can speak of, and give their experiences with. From the bids - G. Weike has the lead, and I've been happy with their sales folks answering my questions - but I'd like to hear your thoughts.

For my use - I'm hoping to do cutting of wood, MDF and acrylic. My wife is intrigued by the photo engraving, and doing some paper / fabric cutting. It's hobby use for now - but most of my side businesses have started this way - so I tend to try and buy tools that can serve me well into the future.

I've been voraciously reading this forum, and will continue to do so - but I'd love to hear your input. What would you buy if you could do it again, and why? What other vendors should I look at? What spares package do you recommend? (I was planning a spare tube, mirrors, lenses, power supplies, belts, spare servo and mainboard).

Thanks for your time.

brett

Clark Pace
06-14-2014, 11:08 PM
I did not have a good experience with Gweike. At least their laser 4x8 table. But they did pay the shipping back and forth when my parts went bad several times. My shenhui has been a good machine so far. But I know I might have gotten lemon. All machines I'm sure don't have the problems I had. I should also put a plugin for my redsail laser. A real workshorse!!!

Bert Kemp
06-15-2014, 9:14 AM
Brett,
From what I read either of those machines would be OK I have a FSL and am looking to get something different. Sent you PM:)

Robert Walters
06-15-2014, 1:41 PM
I have a FSL and am looking to get something different.

Bert,

I'd be interested in hearing what you have to say about your FSL.

And anyone else about MornTech USA - Stockton California.

morntechusa DOT com

Bert Kemp
06-15-2014, 4:01 PM
I think if you search Full Spectrum Laser here you'll find most of what I said unless they have deleted all my post. I've been kicked off this forum and one other for posting all the problems I have with FSL, so I'll refrain from comment. You could PM me I suppose, but in general I think most people here will tell you to stay far away from FSL. There are a couple of people who got lucky and like what they have.

Mark Senior
06-15-2014, 4:16 PM
I have a G Weike LG500 and can't fault them. The machine is better than I expected given some of the things I'd read as well.

My only big gripe is the dongle and software, they (all the Chinese makers) need to sit down and stump up some money and write stuff that's not as clunky and out of date.

There's work around's and things I know but it's not 2001 anymore. Lasercut - I'm pretty sure that scroll bars were around even back then rather than some random hand to drag around a screen etc.

Jerome Stanek
06-15-2014, 7:51 PM
the new RDcam software doesn't use a dongle I have a LG500 and like it

Bruce Dorworth
06-15-2014, 11:24 PM
Brett where are you located? I have a G,Weike that has been a real good laser. I get great customer support. I have the lc1290 80watt. From what I understand if you want to engrave picture you should stay no higher than a 60 watt. I use mine strickly for hobby.

Bruce

Brett Tossell
06-16-2014, 1:03 AM
Bruce -

I'm in Phoenix.

That's interesting - the engraving side is not something I've had much experience with. I was hoping - and perhaps I'm wrong - that I could simply run the laser at a lower power setting, or faster speed to engrave. Again - the engraving is more my wife's idea, and frankly something I have no experience with. Can you explain a little?

I like that LG500 - it's a clean looking unit. I'm simply looking for a larger working area to better accommodate the bulk cutting of smaller pieces from larger sheets of MDF or acrylic. I'd be concerned with the smaller space - as I've found my ambitions and my projects tend to grow in size - and I fear a smaller machine would crimp my plans. Working with the laser cutters I've been using in the past - I really like the ability to put down a good size piece of material - and then bang out parts.

I know this is ambitious - trying to find a machine that works well to cut and engrave - and one with a decent work area. Is there such a beast that will do it?

John Bion
06-16-2014, 3:11 AM
Hi Brett,
I have two G Weike machines. On the whole the machines are good. I have had a few problems with the CW 5000 chillers supplied with them but this was not necessarily a Weike fault.
The construction of the machines is pretty good, and they will custom make a machine case for you (Weike was willing to do more on this than Shenhui which is what settled me on Weike as opposed to Shenhui). On construction I would say that there have been two faults, one is QC related: grinder splatter on the inside of the case painted over (minor and of no real consequence but just a bit off-putting and potential for rust), the second is threading screws into the 2mm (?) steel sheet rather than tacking on a nut to give more substantial thread meat (this is not the end of the world but has meant that I have had to re-tap a couple of threads).
On Support: Lucy has been very pleasant and cheerful and intends well, however language barriers can be a little frustrating at times. A negative of Chinese support appears to be that they seem to have a flow chart of problem solving to run through, however the flow chart comes to an end at some point and so does the help, even if your problem is not solved.
As mentioned, I have two machines: the 100w Recci tubed machine has been trouble free from the moment I turned the key and has run well; both machines were optically set up spot on (which amazed me given the distance they had traveled) the 60w machine gave me quite a bit of grief on the software and settings side of things and it was only with the help of a UK based Laser forum/friend that I got that this machine running. This machine did not have the correct settings in it when it arrived and it kept either cutting incorrect sizes or ‘hard stopping’ (head crashing into the side), and the table kept on going out of true (down to settings). I had long nightmares with software and the dongle for the 60w machine and it was only the local forum friends that got this one sorted for me - a major word of advice here is that if you have Vista as your OS, throw it hard and far right now or else you will do so later after you have suffered hair loss and a nervous breakdown (Windows 7 or XP work well). Once these were corrected it has run spot on since then. Two days ago I changed the tube in my 60w because the power had faded horribly - what a joy - it is like a new machine - roughly a year of running. Weike has been very quick on sending parts under warranty - once they have agreed to do so - but this can take many photographs and videos of the problem - and over an intermittent and slow broadband service makes for a frustrating support/warranty system/service.
Look out for Chinese holidays - they catch you blind and are a right problem. Do not order just before their Spring break! Faults and breakdowns are pre-programmed to occur just prior to other Chinese holidays!:eek:

I know some people like Lasercut 5.3 - however I hate it. I only use it as the donkey to get my file from my computer to the machine. It is clunky and awkward to use (you do get used to it though). The CorelDraw plugin for Lasercut does NOT work. I have this installed on five computers with either X3 or X6 and on none of them does it work. Just save as a DXF and import into Lasercut. (Yes - it was installed properly - over and over again - including by Weike support ‘engineers’). I understand that a new version is coming out - they should have done this years ago.

Order the larger extraction fan:). Do not order the red dot pointer and autofocus:mad:.

These machines are not Trotecs, but nor are you paying for a Trotec! I would say they are value for money depending on your situation and work.

Hope these rambling thoughts help.
Kind Regards, John

Bruce Dorworth
06-16-2014, 3:15 AM
I am by no means an expert, but here is my understanding...To engrave certain materials you need to really lower the power of the laser. Most Chinese lasers do not run at lower than 15%. 15% of a 100 watt laser is 15% 15% of a 60 watt laser is 9%. It is that and something to do with the different size spot between the two lasers.

I am sure someone that is more knowledgeable with jump in here and do a better job of explaining this.

Bruce

Rodne Gold
06-16-2014, 3:59 AM
I have 2 shenhuis , been working flawlessly for over 3 years in the most horrendous environment , 8 hours a day and still going strong.
I get better service from shenhui than from my local GCC agents.

Dave Sheldrake
06-16-2014, 5:30 AM
I am by no means an expert, but here is my understanding...To engrave certain materials you need to really lower the power of the laser. Most Chinese lasers do not run at lower than 15%. 15% of a 100 watt laser is 15% 15% of a 60 watt laser is 9%. It is that and something to do with the different size spot between the two lasers.

I am sure someone that is more knowledgeable with jump in here and do a better job of explaining this.

Bruce

Spot size is relative to incident beam Bruce, bigger tubes have larger beams so smaller spot sizes BUT as you mentioned much higher minimum power.

cheers

Dave

Brett Tossell
06-16-2014, 8:02 PM
Dave -

Now I'm ignorant - I've never tried to do engraving - but I'm curious - if you can't bring the power down - can't you bring the speed up? I've never engraved - so I've got no experience - but wouldn't less time (faster speed) on target at a higher power have the same effect as a lower power tube running slower? - I have never tried engraving - but I'd love someone who knows to explain.

Thanks all.

Spot size is relative to incident beam Bruce, bigger tubes have larger beams so smaller spot sizes BUT as you mentioned much higher minimum power.

cheers

Dave

Dave Sheldrake
06-16-2014, 8:57 PM
Hiya Brett,

It's a common conundrum, you need less spot power but the tube won't first below XX% so you have to increase speed. That's great until you start to lose location because the motors can't keep up (or change direction super fast) so more speed may not always be available.
Most glass tube will fire in the 10 to 12% range reliably (a few exceptions) so if you have a 130 watt and run it at 10% that's 13 watts of ERP (Effective Radiated Power) that may end up being above what the material will stand and will introduce too much heat into the job, you increase speed to try and offset and end up losing steps on the motors so quality again suffers (engraving) On cutting trying to change direction too quickly results is the same effect as trying to corner in a car too fast, you get wobble...
60 watt DC tubes do good engraving work, 80 watt can be used and will give results but much above that and you are usually in trouble.

cheers

Dave

Travis Wizniuk
06-17-2014, 6:03 PM
I imported a 900 size G. Weike about 6 months ago..

The machine is awesome.. I has exceeded my expectations in every way. I would not hesitate to buy another one if I needed it.

Someone mentioned issues with the chiller. I'm not sure if they have the older version of the CW500, but mine has been flawless. The new version is %100 automated and has nothing to set. It simply cycles in when required.