PDA

View Full Version : Birthday Bowl

Steve Schlumpf
06-14-2014, 4:57 PM
This is a small bowl I turned for our youngest granddaughter’s 9th birthday which is coming up June 23. She says she loves ALL the colors when asked for a favorite, but we know she already has a lot of purple in her room and hope she will like this as just something she can throw her barrettes or whatever into.

291294 291295 291296
291297 291298 291299

Maple, 6.5” diameter x 4.25” high x 1/8” thick at rim tapering out to ¼” at base. Dyed using purple RIT dye, sealed with shellac and finished with wipe-on poly. It has been buffed and given a coat of Renaissance wax to give an overall soft feel to the piece.

As always, your opinions, comments and critiques are welcomed!

Thanks for looking!

John Keeton
06-15-2014, 6:27 AM
Steve, you really have a way with color! The amber tones of the maple provided some interesting variation in hue for interest.

Nice work on this one - proportions are good and it is the perfect size for all the "stuff" a 9 year old might want to keep in it.

Keith Outten
06-15-2014, 7:31 AM
Its a beauty Steve, no doubt your Grand Daughter will appreciate such a gift from her Grand Father forever.

Steve Schlumpf
06-15-2014, 8:58 AM
Thanks guys - glad you like it and I appreciate you taking the time to comment! With 362 hits and no posts, I was beginning to wonder if I missed something in the form or color! :D I realize that the AAW symposium is happening and it sure depletes the ranks! Hope everyone is enjoying themselves!

Steve Mawson
06-15-2014, 9:07 AM
Nice piece and would assume that anything from grandpa would be a good present. Like the size and still not sure on this color thing but looks nice with good proportions. Wish I was at the symposium with the other folks, saw 105 degrees yesterday, still nice inside I am sure, perhaps next year.