PDA

View Full Version : What is a friend's cherry worth?

Wade Lippman
06-14-2014, 10:15 AM
A friend's father died. She asked me for advice on selling the tools and their value. That was easy because I didn't want any of them.

Now she has asked me if I want to buy his cherry; about 50bf of it. She would rather sell it to me than to have to deal with nutcases on CL. I have only seen pictures, but it looks nice. I already have a good stock of cherry, but have room for more.

I have gotten cherry at auctions for $1/bf a couple times, but it retails for $5.50. I am thinking a fair price is like $2.50. She will sell it to me at whatever price I say, and while I don't want to take advantage of her, I also don't want to buy it for too much when I don't need it.

So, what's a fair price?

Yonak Hawkins
06-14-2014, 10:27 AM
Before I even got to your price in your message, I had gotten $3.00 in my head as fair for your friend. Geographic price differences may make $2.50 more appropriate for your area so I'd say you're in the right ballpark.

Chris Merriam
06-14-2014, 10:34 AM
I would have said 2.50 as well, I can get it from local sawyers for that price

Jamie Buxton
06-14-2014, 10:38 AM
The fair price is the local retail price. That's what people in your area are selling and buying lumber for.

So pay her the $5.50. Anything less than that, you'd be taking advantage of her.

Jerry Olexa
06-14-2014, 10:44 AM
Locally rough sawn is $3/bf...Rockler occassionally has it @ $3.50 bf for 3 good sides milled....Let your conscience guide you...:)

Judson Green
06-14-2014, 11:06 AM
What grade is it?

Here select and better is ~$3.30 and 1 common a dollar less.

Paul McGaha
06-14-2014, 11:16 AM
Just a suggestion Wade but if it were me I'd offer her the going price of your local lumber yards. That's just how I buy my wood.

$5.25 for 4/4 FAS Cherry here. $2.50 for 4/4 common Cherry (Groff & Groff Lumber).

PHM

scott vroom
06-14-2014, 11:20 AM
I think the right approach is to tell her what the retail price is and then offer half of that amount. 1) you guys are friends; 2) she doesn't have to deal with herds of cl buyers all looking for cheap deals. Sounds fair to me.

Myk Rian
06-14-2014, 11:55 AM
How is she financially?, if I may ask.
A financially stable person just wants it gone. Others need the cash.

David Kumm
06-14-2014, 12:02 PM
You are talking 50bd ft and a widow. If you overpay you are talking $50-100 extra to feel good. Pretty cheap at any price. Dave

scott vroom
06-14-2014, 12:35 PM
You are talking 50bd ft and a widow.

"A friend's father died."

David Kumm
06-14-2014, 12:45 PM
"A friend's father died."

Sorry. Daughter who lost father. Same concept. Dave

scott spencer
06-14-2014, 12:56 PM
"What is a friend's cherry worth?" - Priceless... :D

We're pretty close to the cherry capital of the world here Wade....NW PA has some of the best cherry in the world, and even the local stuff around here is pretty good and plentiful....location is a factor on price. The last time I bought rough sawn cherry from a sawmill it was $2.50 BF, and it was really nice. What to offer depends on how good it is, how much you want it, and what kind of help their family needs. Good luck!

Matt Day
06-14-2014, 1:53 PM
Half the local rate sounds good to me, for both parties.

Would you pay full retail on the machinery? Doubt it, so why would you pay full price on the lumber? I understand it's not quite the same, but it's like buying anything that you can't return for your money back, you don't expect to recoup all your money.

Wade Lippman
06-14-2014, 2:07 PM
I appreciate everyone's advice. I expect it is more a case of having to clean the debris out of the house than needing the money.

I told her retail is $6, but I have bought it at auctions for $1. It is worth $2.50 to me. She might get $3 for it on CL, or she might not get any replies. What ever she wanted to do was fine with me.

Moses Yoder
06-14-2014, 2:26 PM
I think you should consider the pile of cherry as your own, then imagine you want to sell it on Craigslist. Figure out a price for that, and pay that.

Jim Matthews
06-15-2014, 7:07 AM
50 board feet?

Unless they're wider than 6" and particularly well figured
it's one of the most commonly available woods, East of the Mississippi.

I just paid $1.75/bf for more than 700 bf, in the rough.

Unless there was a bequest from the deceased, I would only accept
tools and lumber from this lot as a gift. Otherwise, it's like buying a car from friends or family.

I would recommend to the seller that the lumber be priced at retail during the sale
and offered as a "Sweetener" to get larger items removed.

If money is not the primary concern, this sort of thing should go to someone
just starting out in making things for their own use.

Situations like this are always fraught, money and grief are a toxic brew.

keith micinski
06-15-2014, 10:33 AM
You are talking 50bd ft and a widow. If you overpay you are talking $50-100 extra to feel good. Pretty cheap at any price. Dave

I agree with this concept. It's not like we are talking about a large sum one way or the other. I always try to put myself on the lesser side of deals with friends and most people in general, knowing that if it wards off a disagreement later, it was money or time well spent.

Roger Feeley
06-15-2014, 8:03 PM
Jim, I agree that buying tools and lumber this way can be uncomfortable but it can be better than the alternative.

When my grandfather died, he left a whole wood and upholstery shop. My father desperately wanted it all but my grandmother was too proud to sell it to family. So she found a buyer for all of it at $50. My father and I had to make three trips with a 4x8 utility trailer full of tools to the buyer. To top it off, the buyers dog bit my dad. I don't think my dad ever fully forgave my grandmother.

I would find a way to do the deal if you wan the stuff.

Dave Zellers
06-15-2014, 8:36 PM
Wow- that's so sad. In other situations, there is a strong desire to keep it in the family but no one wants it.

Life is strange.

Gene Takae
06-18-2014, 6:05 AM
Maybe buy it at the $2.50 and surprise her with a keepsake from it?

Russ Marcum
06-18-2014, 9:24 AM

I would agree with this.

Not sure what your normal builds are, but it would be a nice gesture to do something like a picture frame.

That way she could have something of her dads with his picture.

Just a thought

Yonak Hawkins
06-18-2014, 9:44 AM
. . . do something like a picture frame.

That way she could have something of her dads with his picture.
. . . . .

Keith Hankins
06-18-2014, 10:17 AM
Here in PA if it's FAS 5.50 to 6.00 I buy in bulk and 3 is my normal price. If she is a friend and the money can be used by the family, I'd go 3 - 3.50 even if i did not need the cherry. I could not take advantage of someone to benefit myself with a passed loved one. Then take the wood make something out of it and give it to her as one last gift from her dad.

Steve Peterson
06-18-2014, 11:12 AM

This is the best idea so far. $2.50 is a fair price. The keepsake will be priceless for her. See if your friend has a picture and have it in the frame when you give it to her.

Steve

Brett Luna
06-18-2014, 2:18 PM

I really like that idea, too. Otherwise, I think letting her know what prevailing retail price is and making your considered offer is just fine. With all the cards on the table, I think the fair price is whatever the two of you agree upon.

Chris Fournier
06-18-2014, 8:09 PM
What's the grade? Is it off a band mill waned edge or... Or how good is this cherry and how important is this relationship to you? This is a personal question and only you know the answer and you already know it.