PDA

View Full Version : Bies. Fence and Unisaw

Joe Lenox
06-30-2005, 8:02 AM
I just finished putting togather my new saw and fence and have a problem with the fence hitting the miter slot when sliding it across the top....Ive tried adjusting it but I cant seem to cure the problem?? any suggestions would be appreciated...

Jim Dunn
06-30-2005, 8:14 AM
A friend of mine had the same problem and sanded the bottom of the fence. We/he couldn't find any adjustment for this problem.

Maurice Ungaro
06-30-2005, 9:00 AM
It would appear that you've set the guide rails too low, and the fence has no supprt when it gets to the mitre slot. DId you use the cardboard alignment jig that Biesmeyer supplies with their units for instalation? If you didn't get one, call Beis, they're very good about sending one to you.

Garry Smith
06-30-2005, 9:54 AM
I have the same problem and I know my rails are set correctly with the cardboad guage that cam with the fence.

Garry

Tom McDermott
06-30-2005, 10:01 AM
From posts on other boards, this seems to be a common problem. If you have the same issue, it's caused by the front rail being set too low so that the fence rides down too hard on the tble surface. The rail may be sufficiently adjustable or not. One person (positng on another board) elevate the square tube by shimming it with washers.

Mine came out perfect, but I did have to use the little pressboard guide to get the rail elevation set correctly.

Call Biesemeyer - from all indications they are good company to do business with, and will help you.

-- Tom

Joe Lenox
06-30-2005, 10:14 AM
I did get the template with the saw, and Iused it to set the front rail, however I still have the problem.....I really appreciate all the input from all of you...Thanks

Michael Gabbay
06-30-2005, 10:38 AM
Joe - my template worked fine for my saw. You may just want to shim the rail and raise it a little. I'm sure b-meyer will help on this.

Mike

Jack Norfleet
06-30-2005, 10:45 AM
I fixed it by adding a quarter inch washer on each bolt between the square tube and the L shaped bracket. It raised my fence enough to fix the problem.

I used quarter inch washers because I had a box on hand.

Other types of shims should work fine as long as they are the same thickness and you raise the tube an equal amount along the rail.

tim langford
06-30-2005, 3:44 PM
I fixed it the same way as the others did. One other thing I did was to gently sand the top edges of the miter bar slot to make it a little less sharp. I think this might help the sliding a little and also made it be less of a guillotine for unwary fingers. Keep your fingers away from the groove when sliding the fence.