View Full Version : How to spend $200 on tools

Brian Kent
06-13-2014, 11:16 AM
Criteria: must be fun

A) 1/2" Kelton Hollowers with a Trent Bosch Handle

B) CBN Wheel

C) 1/20 of a Powermatic Lathe

D) Stick it in the bank until I actually need woodworking supplies

I actually know better than to turn a question like this on a salivating pack of spenders like Wood Turners. No doubt the recommendations will escalate to adding a little and buying a Oneway Lathe and a Monster Hollowing system.

Ready, Go!

Prashun Patel
06-13-2014, 11:22 AM
B) CBN wheel, hands down. It changed the way I think about sharpening.

I know people better than I can do it with less, but IMHO, if you want a hollowing system, I'd save up for a captive type system. Of course, such systems are usually partially specific to the lathe you have. If you upgrade, then you might have to upgrade the rig as well.

charlie knighton
06-13-2014, 11:22 AM
how about some air brush supplies.....it will not go far but would be a good start

sort of depends where you are in the curve

Kyle Iwamoto
06-13-2014, 11:28 AM
Keltons. But you do know that eventually that will lead to the Monster Hollower......

But, I see you already posted that..... LOL

Brian Kent
06-13-2014, 11:33 AM
Prashun, I checked with Monster Lathe tools and I can use the full-size articulated hollowing system on my Delta 46-460. If I go that direction someday I can use it on a future lathe with just a new mounting plate.

Roger Chandler
06-13-2014, 11:45 AM
Prashun, I checked with Monster Lathe tools and I can use the full-size articulated hollowing system on my Delta 46-460. If I go that direction someday I can use it on a future lathe with just a new mounting plate.

Yes you can! ;)

Thom Sturgill
06-13-2014, 1:37 PM
CBN, you will wonder how you ever got along without it!

John Keeton
06-13-2014, 3:00 PM
If the limit is truly around $200 - CBN, hands down! It will cost you a bit more than that with shipping, but well worth every penny.

Bob Bergstrom
06-13-2014, 3:15 PM
+1 CBN. So much better than the rest!

Brian Kent
06-13-2014, 4:13 PM
D-Way CBN 180 grit, with or without the radius edge? 8" wheel on a 6" grinder with guard removed?

Thom Sturgill
06-13-2014, 5:02 PM
D-Way CBN 180 grit, with or without the radius edge? 8" wheel on a 6" grinder with guard removed?
Radius edge should be great for sharpening the little scraper tips used for hollowing - wish they had been available when I got mine. I would go for an 8" wheel, the guard is not needed so it can be removed, only question would be arbor size. Some 6" grinders are 1/2" diameter arbor and may be too short since they are generally made for 1/2" thick wheels while 8" grinders are generally made for 3/4"- 1" wheels. Check with Dave, letting him know the specific model.

Dennis Nagle
06-14-2014, 6:19 AM
I must be missing something. I go up to my white wheel, lay the tool on it, and BAM, it is sharp!! I've been reading for the last number of years that the CBN will change my whole sharpening world....but why? How?

Thom Sturgill
06-14-2014, 7:16 AM
I must be missing something. I go up to my white wheel, lay the tool on it, and BAM, it is sharp!! I've been reading for the last number of years that the CBN will change my whole sharpening world....but why? How?

My understanding is that the newer steels contain increasing numbers of microscopic carbides formed during the forging and heat treatments. These carbides account for the wear resistance. Aluminum Oxide can not cut carbide so it just knocks them out of the steel matrix while CBN (or diamond) can cut them and sharpen the steel yielding a sharper edge with better wear resistance. If all of your tools are Sorby or other M2 steel you may not notice much difference, if you are using vanadium steel (Thompson's and others) you will. The AO wheel effectively gives you a serrated edge compared to the cleaner edge of the CBN wheel, on a small, microscopic scale. Cindy Drozda published a long article on this after she switched to having Doug make the blanks for her tools.

Doug Herzberg
06-14-2014, 7:42 AM
I'm not sure I'd call a CBN "fun," but of the things on your list, it's what I'd buy. It does make sharpening simpler, which makes turning more fun.

Dennis Nagle
06-14-2014, 11:42 AM
Thanks Thom. In that case I'd go with CBN too.

Dennis Ford
06-14-2014, 4:11 PM
A CBN wheel is high on my list but if you don't have hollowing capability already, the Kelton hollowing tools with Bosch handle would be a good choice.

Thom Sturgill
06-14-2014, 4:47 PM
Brian, While I recommended the CBN wheel, I would also suggest looking at John Jordan's tools. The tips are removable, and you can get both 1/2" tools, long handle, sharpening jig, adapter, and spare tips for your $200.

Jamie Donaldson
06-14-2014, 6:57 PM
And JJ's larger hollowing tools can be used in your Monster hollowing set-up when you up-grade!

Bob Bergstrom
06-14-2014, 7:44 PM
Radius edge should be great for sharpening the little scraper tips used for hollowing - wish they had been available when I got mine. I would go for an 8" wheel, the guard is not needed so it can be removed, only question would be arbor size. Some 6" grinders are 1/2" diameter arbor and may be too short since they are generally made for 1/2" thick wheels while 8" grinders are generally made for 3/4"- 1" wheels. Check with Dave, letting him know the specific model.
We have the curved wheel at the club and most that have used it and have a straight one at home prefer the straight. The straight has much more room to move about on the wheel. The new straight one has grit on the side that can be used also.

Harvey M. Taylor
06-15-2014, 12:57 PM
I didn't know how good a wheel I had till I read Thom,s explanation.Thanks Thom. Max

Brian Kent
06-15-2014, 2:41 PM
Well I just sent a message to D-Way to make sure I get the right arbor for an 8" wheel on my Delta variable speed 6" grinder.

Peter Fabricius
06-15-2014, 7:01 PM
Well done, Brian,
I am running a 8" CBN wheel from DWay on a 6" 3450 rpm grinder. Dave sent me a 1/2" bushing that he counter bored to fit on the shorter grinder shaft.
The only concession that I make is to hand spin the CBN wheel before flicking the on switch. Not sure if I need to do that but the start up is much easier on the grinder motor.
the CBN 180 grit is wonderful.
You will like the tool edges from the CBN!
Peter F.

Rich Aldrich
06-15-2014, 8:51 PM
I would go with the CBN as well. I is amazing how sharp or at least how long the edge lasts.

I actually had a catch while grinding and damaged a Norton blue wheel - went off the edge while grinding a bowl gouge with a Vari Grind 1. It stalled the grinder and the grinder started going again when I removed the tool. I was quick on the switch otherwise the wheel would have flew apart. Mostly inexperience, but sure made me nervous at the grinder after that.

Brian Kent
06-16-2014, 12:42 PM
Got a confirmation E-mail from Dave and ordered the 180 grit 8". With arbor, tax and shipping: $210.95.

John Altberg
06-17-2014, 10:26 AM
When I got my 8" wheel for the 6" grinder, Dave was not offering the counter bored bushings so I had to turn away part of the spindle on the grinder to get it to fit. Little Delta grinder works like a champ with the big 180 grit wheel on it. You won't regret this purchase, Brian!

Reed Gray
06-17-2014, 12:50 PM
Well, I was down in Phoenix and didn't see this thread till I got back. I would not put an 8 inch wheel on a 6 inch grinder. Mostly because the motor and bearings are not intended for that much weight. True, you don't need the wheel guards on to protect you from the wheel exploding, but they are very handy for helping to keep the dust under control. This dust does seem to float in the air like wood dust.

robo hippy

John Altberg
06-18-2014, 10:07 AM
I would not put an 8 inch wheel on a 6 inch grinder. Mostly because the motor and bearings are not intended for that much weight.

robo hippy

Reed,

I don't disagree, but given that I already had the 6 inch grinder all set up and I paid $69 for it 10 years ago, I have chosen to run it 'til it drops with the bigger wheel!

John

Prashun Patel
06-18-2014, 10:15 AM
Similar to John, I have also been running the Dway 8" CBN on my Delta 6" variable grinder for a couple years now. I have not had a problem. This is not to say it's good practice, just that it has not been a problem for me yet.

Brian,
I suppose it's too late, but if your CBN hasn't shipped, you might order 2 bushings from D-way. Our 6" grinder has a smaller arbor than most 8" grinders. If you decide you need to upgrade eventually, then you will require a new bushing.

Brian Kent
06-18-2014, 10:21 AM
It should arrive today and when the current grinder needs replacing, no problem getting another bushing.

Sid Matheny
06-18-2014, 1:25 PM
This is something that has been on my long list of items I want and it just got moved up closer to the top. Let us know how it works out for you.

Sid