PDA

View Full Version : Rewiring an old GE 1HP motor 230V to 115V

Lincoln Myers
05-23-2003, 12:18 PM
Tried this on WC w/ little response. Maybe The Creek can come through for me...
This may be too general of a question, but I need assistance on rewiring an old GE 1 HP motor from 230V to 115V. The diagram on the inside is barely legible, and I have NO experience w/ this type of thing.

I got this motor w/ an old Sprunger 6" jointer a while back, and the previous owner had it at 230. I don't have the capacity for this in my shop (garage).

Any help would be appreciated. General rewiring suggesions or specific help. Thanks

Carl Eyman
05-23-2003, 12:55 PM
I know the theory, but would be afraid I would mis-identify a wire and have to call the guys with the red truck. I'd take it to my friendly motor rewind shop and ask them how much they'd charge. Wear your oldest shirt with frayed cuffs and collar and a pair of shoes with a hole in the sole.

Alternatively, I'd try GE customer service to see if they'd send you a readable diagram.

lol

btw: borrow the most raggedy car or truck you can find,

Kevin Gerstenecker
05-23-2003, 5:42 PM
Without looking at the terminal plate in the motor, it is a little hard to tell which wires would need to be switched, and to which terminal. Check closely to see if the terminal plate is stamped, you may see L1, L2, etc on the plate, near the terminals. If this is an older motor, there may be no markings. For the most part, all dual voltage electric motors are fairly similar in their wiring schematic, but then again, there are variances. The best bet would be Carl's advice, and contact a motor shop, or GE customer service. They could help identify your situation with that particular motor. A motor shop could tell you which end is up, and they would probably do this for free............it should only take a few seconds. Good Luck, and just to be safe, make sure the power is disconnected, and don't just guess at it! :D