PDA

View Full Version : experience with ipe?

Jim Barstow
06-13-2014, 12:19 AM
It's time to replace the surface of our 25 year old large redwood deck. The quality of redwood has decreased since it was built but I've found a supplier of all clear heart redwood that is pretty close to what we used originally. (Recycled old growth redwood is ridiculously expensive at $10 / linear foot for a 2x6.) This price is pretty close to what I would pay for ipe but I'm wary of ipe for 2 reasons:

1. Even though you can (theoretically) get ipe that is certified as sustainably harvested it sounds like the process just documents the destruction of the rain forest. Ipe is currently harvested far in excess of its replacement rate. At least with redwood I know that old growth trees are not being taken.

2. ipe has a coefficient of expansion much greater than redwood. We have second house with a deck made out of cumaru (similar to ipe) but with a lower coefficient of expansion. It has large gaps in the summer and no gaps at all in the winter. I've heard of stories where the wood has shrunk so much that it escapes the hidden clips used to attach it to the deck framing.

Any advice on ipe? I like the look and durability of ipe but don't want to contribute to the further destruction of the rain forest. I'm also worried about its stability.

Rich Enders
06-13-2014, 12:59 AM
The recently introduced cap stock coated composite decking from Trex, or Fiberon available from the big box stores and others should be entered into the mix with redwood, or ipe. Primarily made from recycled post-consumer waste, it is durable, does not change color, can be fastened with either side clips or deck screws, will not rot, is not affected by bugs, and it carries a guarantee.

It has long been considered an expensive second rate option, but rates a new look.

joseph f merz
06-13-2014, 10:43 AM
I have been at this position to many times . I keep mulling over the options . http://www.redwoodlumberco.com/ .this place seems to have great lumber .

Jim Barstow
06-13-2014, 11:36 AM
I looked at top-of-the-line composites also. My first impression (and current impression) was that "It looks like plastic". From an
engineering perspective it makes sense but from an esthetic sense, it's awful. For the same reason I don't build furniture out of MDF
even though it is stable, flat and uniform.

Lee Schierer
06-13-2014, 4:49 PM
Ipe is extremely hard and you will likely have to drill holes for nails or screws. Don't waste your money on any type of sealer as Ipe is so dense that the sealer will nit penetrate the wood, it will remain on the surface. Be aware that after about a year the nice brown color will turn silvery gray. The board walk at Atlantic City, NJ was done in Ipe a number of years ago.

Rich Enders
06-14-2014, 9:08 PM
Jim,

I certainly agree with you regarding building furniture from MDF. But a deck? There is an élan associated with the use of wood, but for unpainted exterior applications it won't be long before it loses its sex appeal. This is a deck after all, that few except the owner will notice, and nobody except the owner will have to maintain.

Greg Portland
06-17-2014, 12:17 PM
2. ipe has a coefficient of expansion much greater than redwood. We have second house with a deck made out of cumaru (similar to ipe) but with a lower coefficient of expansion. It has large gaps in the summer and no gaps at all in the winter. I've heard of stories where the wood has shrunk so much that it escapes the hidden clips used to attach it to the deck framing.
I built an Ipe deck with 1x6 decking and EB-TY clips and never noticed a gap. I was able to buy boards with a notched edge which saved me a lot of time with a biscuit joiner. You can use thinner deck boards with Ipe because of the wood's strength.

Mel Fulks
06-17-2014, 12:46 PM
Greg, how long ago was that put down? Mine has been down about ten years and I am not sure it's finished shrinking. I was allowed to pick the material so all the pieces are at least rift grain,no flat sawn pieces. The shrinkage has surprised me
because it seemed so dry. But it is in full virginia sun.

Peter Quinn
06-17-2014, 8:01 PM
The quality of the IPE I've seen lately is diminishing about as fast as the price is rising. They are taking more marginal trees every year, the widths get smaller, the grain gets crazier. I've seen a few that broke free of their ebb-ties, might be as much a function of the fasteners? I haven't heard cumaru to be any better. As far as the rain forrest, I have no info regarding that, not sure how you can get the truth without going to the country, and even then you can't see the forrest through the trees. So you have to trust who you will to tell you the truth. I agree on the plastic decks, not much to look at. Its hard to explain to those who like them how much those of us who don't want plastic under foot don't like them. Not my thing. Not sure what the best choice is for a deck, PT scares me, plastic annoys me and wood has its draw backs. I know a guy that made a concrete deck.....looks like a bridge in the back yard but suffers none of the short comings of other materials!

Rich Enders
06-17-2014, 9:41 PM
A lot of folks in my world still think of the poor quality original stuff when composite decking is mentioned. To make sure we are on the same page regarding the new capped composites I have attached the following photo.

William Adams
06-18-2014, 7:01 AM
The Forestry Stewardship Council actually has people on the ground who inspect forests and lumber and pulp mills --- just buy from a company which has their certification.

I just bought some and found that while it was a bit difficult to cut w/ a hand saw (I'll probably need a new plastic miter box, not sure what I was thinking --- habit I guess) it cut quite nicely on my Shapeoko (a hobby-level CNC machine) w/ a Garr tool 1/8" carbide bit --- hoping to find some time today to get back to more than just test cuts.