PDA

View Full Version : Porter-Cable 3-1/4 HP 5 Speed Router 7518

Roddy Thibault
06-29-2005, 11:26 PM
Porter-Cable 3-1/4 HP 5 Speed Router 7518
Does any one own or used one of these..and if so how do you like it?
i just bought one use for $300 cnd can they be rebuilt? and how can u tell if they need to be rebuilt?
im hoping that it can do stile's & rail's
any thougts on this would be great

Corey Hallagan
06-30-2005, 12:25 AM
That router is one with a good reputation. You can definitey do rail and stiles with that router or any 3HP router, but it needs to be in a router table to do so. I believe 300.00 will pretty much buy a brand new PC 7518 so I hope yours has little if any wear. That router is known as a workhorse so it will definitely do any router job you throw at it. Don't know about rebuilding but like I said, I hope it is in like new condition.

Corey

Kirk (KC) Constable
06-30-2005, 1:43 AM
I have two 7518s, right at a year old. They both exhibit speed control problems while spinning panel bits. Never any problem with the rail/stile cutters...but shouldn't be any problems AT ALL.

KC

Tom Hintz
06-30-2005, 3:34 AM
The Porter Cable 7518 is considered by most to be THE 3 1/2 Hp router out there. It's built like a tank but has all the features you need for a table mounted router that can swing any bit on the planet.
It also has a constant speed feature where the motor applies power to maintain bit speed under load. When running free, you can hear the speed vary as the circuitry reacts to the freewheeling shaft. It doesn't mean anything and you hear much less of it when cutting wood as the load is more constant.
I have a review of this router with photos and more on it's features at the link below if that will help.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/pc7518rvu.html

Kirk (KC) Constable
06-30-2005, 4:12 AM
It means something when the motor comes to a dead stop, after it's come up to speed and involved in the cut. Very much like the problem with the 7529. There was a thread here not too long back about some heat problems with the newer 7518s as well.

KC

Roger Everett
06-30-2005, 5:42 AM
You can't go wrong w/ the 7518, I bought mine in '92' , and it's still going strong. It's the size and heft of the bearings that makes a difference in longevity.
Roger

Tom Hintz
06-30-2005, 8:27 AM
KC,
the dead stop deal certainly is not right. I have gotten quite a bit of email about the variation in speed but it sure sounds like yours has a major hitch in it's git-a-long somehwere.

Jim Becker
06-30-2005, 10:26 AM
Probably a major chunk of router tables on the planet use the PC 7518! (Including mine) Workhorse. The folks who fabricated our soapstone counters used three of them plus the 7539 plunge version to cut and finish the edges, sink cutout and routed drain board.

Some 7518's have had issues as KC described. I did need to replace the EVS circuit board in mine a year ago, but have not had the issue since. The swap was easy and although the unit was out of warranty (four years old), the cost for the part was reasonable.

Keith Outten
06-30-2005, 11:30 AM
The newer model 7518's have a bearing or bearing seal problem that PC needs to correct. This is the workhorse router that is used on many CNC Routers and there are lots of people who are raising Cain with PC about the problem.

I would check into this before making a purchase.

Tom Hintz
06-30-2005, 11:55 AM
I've gotten quite a bit of email about the 7518 over the last few months and so far no one has mentioned bearing problems. Most of the folks love them and some wondered about that varying bit speed when freewheeling.
I have been thrashing mine officially recently, making all the molding for three rooms in the house, swinging big bits for long periods of time with no problem yet. Maybe this is something that was short-lived or has been corrected already?

Jim Becker
06-30-2005, 11:57 AM
Most of the folks love them and some wondered about that varying bit speed when freewheeling.

This is the condition that required I replace the EVS circuit board. It solved the problem immediately.

Chris Padilla
06-30-2005, 12:54 PM
Gotta 7518 in my router table...it is a real workhorse and never complains! Bought mine in 2000 I think....

Keith Outten
06-30-2005, 6:25 PM
A discussion concerning overheating of the PC7518 can be found on the "Talk Shop Bot" forum.

Eddie Valenzuela
07-03-2005, 9:45 AM
I have mounted under a table and use it for putting an edge on cabinet doors and drawer fronts with no problem. I also use it to raise panels for the doors; I have to do it in three passes, because it will bogg down and then I have to swith it off and then back on again for it to start back up. I just figured it was to much material for it to cut. Is this right?

Kirk (KC) Constable
07-03-2005, 7:27 PM
NO...it's not normal. That's exactly what mine do...but only on panels. And I only have to stop and start four or five times, then it seems to work properly.

KC