PDA

View Full Version : Great Combacks

Jim Koepke
06-12-2014, 3:13 PM
Some of these may be old, but they still bring a chuckle:

Number 1:

If you ever testify in court, you might wish you could have been as sharp as this policeman.
He was being cross-examined by a defense attorney during a felony trial. The lawyer was trying to undermine the police officer's credibility.....
Q: 'Officer --- did you see my client fleeing the scene?'
A: 'No, sir. But I subsequently observed a person matching the description of the offender, running several blocks away.'
Q: 'Officer, who provided this description?'
A: 'The officer who responded to the scene.'
Q: 'A fellow officer provided the description of this so-called offender. Do you trust your fellow officers?'
A: 'Yes, sir. With my life.'
Q: 'With your life? Let me ask you this then officer. Do you have a room where you change your clothes in preparation for your daily duties?'
A: 'Yes sir, we do!'
Q: 'And do you have a locker in the room?'
A: 'Yes, sir, I do.'
Q: 'And do you have a lock on your locker?'
A: 'Yes, sir.'
Q: 'Now, why is it, officer, if you trust your fellow officers with your life, you find it necessary to lock your locker in a room you share with these same officers?'
A: 'You see, sir, we share the building with the court complex, and sometimes lawyers have been known to walk through that room.'
The courtroom EXPLODED with laughter, and a prompt recess was called. The officer on the stand has been nominated for this year's 'Best Comeback' line -- and we think he'll win.

Number 2:
Now We Know Why He Was a General -----

In an interview, General Norman Schwarzkopf was asked if he thought there was room for forgiveness toward the people who have harbored and abetted the terrorists who perpetrated the 9/11 attacks on America.
His answer was classic Schwarzkopf.
The General said, "I believe that forgiving them is God's function... OUR job is to arrange the meeting."

Number 3:
Dana Perino (FOX News) describing an interview she recently had with a Navy SEAL. After discussing all the countries that he had been sent to, she asked if they had to learn several languages?

"Oh, no ma'am. We don't go there to talk."

Number 4:

Conversation overheard on the VHF Guard (emergency) frequency 121.5 MHz while flying from Europe to Dubai ...
Iranian Air Defense Site: 'Unknown aircraft, you are in Iranian airspace. Identify yourself.'
Aircraft: 'This is a United States aircraft. I am in Iraqi airspace.'
Air Defense Site: 'You are in Iranian airspace. If you do not depart our airspace, we will launch interceptor aircraft!'
Aircraft: 'This is a United States Marine Corps FA-18 Fighter. Send 'em up, I'll wait!'
Air Defense Site: (... Total silence)

John Pratt
06-13-2014, 9:41 AM
Brilliant. I wish I was that quick witted.

Frederick Skelly
06-13-2014, 10:03 AM
Brilliant. I wish I was that quick witted.

+1, +1.
Fred

mike holden
06-13-2014, 10:33 AM
"I believe that forgiving them is God's function... OUR job is to arrange the meeting."
I first heard this in regard to Vietnam, but it would not surprise me that it goes back to Mesopotamia in 4,000 BC.

Mike

Jim Creech
06-13-2014, 11:02 AM
I remember reading one about the Marine sniper when asked by a female reporter "What do you feel when you shoot those Iraqis" ? Response....."Recoil Ma'am".

Myk Rian
06-13-2014, 11:35 AM
Lawyer: "Now, Mrs. Johnson, how was your first marriage terminated?"
Witness: "By death."
Lawyer: "And by whose death was it terminated?"

Lawyer: Doctor, before you performed the autopsy, did you check for a pulse?
Witness: No.
Lawyer: Did you check for blood pressure?
Lawyer: Did you check for breathing?
Lawyer: So, then it is possible that the patient was alive when you began the autopsy?
Lawyer: How can you be so sure, Doctor?
Witness: Because his brain was sitting on my desk in a jar.
Lawyer: But could the patient have still been alive nevertheless?
Witness: It is possible that he could have been alive and practicing law somewhere.

Grant Wilkinson
06-14-2014, 11:46 AM
Famous Winston Churchill quote:

Lady Astor: "Winston, if you were my husband I would flavour your coffee with poison"
Churchill: "Madam, if I were your husband, I should drink it"

Frederick Skelly
06-14-2014, 2:10 PM
Famous Winston Churchill quote:

Lady Astor: "Winston, if you were my husband I would flavour your coffee with poison"
Churchill: "Madam, if I were your husband, I should drink it"

Lady Astor to Churchill: "You Sir, are DRUNK!
Churchill: "Yes, and you Madame, are ugly. But I shall be sober in the morning."

(I know that the two of them just didnt get along for years, but Im not sure I believe that an upper class Englishman would have actually said that to a Peer. But its good for a laugh, huh?)

Roger Feeley
06-14-2014, 6:00 PM
I'm not given to snappy comebacks but there one occasion...

A co-worker once gave me a ride home in his Rolls Royce. Proudly, he said, "I bet you've never ridden in one of these before."
I replied, "Not in the front seat."

Mel Fulks
06-14-2014, 8:42 PM
When I was young I attended a church country retreat. We had a scavenger hunt on the last day and one of the listed items was a birds nest. When the bell rang to return I picked up some vines ,wound them around and added some moss
and composty stuff. When I turned it in a wonderful sweet lady gushed over it "look how the birds have woven that! May I
have it to show the kids in my Sunday school class!?" I said "of course". At least twenty years later my younger brother is dating the lady's daughter and I meet her and tell her the birds nest story. She icily told me her mother still had it and it was on the living room mantel. Well,that was not the light hearted response I was expecting but I replied "Well she should
have known from the QUALITY of it that I must have made it!".

steven c newman
06-15-2014, 11:53 PM
A Bouncer at a local bar was bragging about his knowledge of Karate

"I could just kick your head right off"

"Hmmm, ever see that karate move that stops a 357?"

"No, never heard of that one"

"Well I happen to have a 357 in my pocket, shall we try it out?"

( Bouncer left the area, just a little faster than needed)

Jim Rimmer
06-16-2014, 1:02 PM
Lady Astor to Churchill: "You Sir, are DRUNK!
Churchill: "Yes, and you Madame, are ugly. But I shall be sober in the morning."

(I know that the two of them just didnt get along for years, but Im not sure I believe that an upper class Englishman would have actually said that to a Peer. But its good for a laugh, huh?)

Another Winston/Lady Astor story with no provenance. He was at a banquet and was being served chicken. He asked her to pass him the breast. Outraged , she told him he should call it white meat. Supposedly he sent her a corsage the next day with a note that told her to pin it on her white meat.

There's also the exchange with George Bernard Shaw: "Enclosed are 2 tickets to the opening night of my new play. Bring a friend, if you have one."

"Can't make opening night. I will come the second night, if there is one."

Frederick Skelly
06-16-2014, 9:52 PM
Another Winston/Lady Astor story with no provenance. He was at a banquet and was being served chicken. He asked her to pass him the breast. Outraged , she told him he should call it white meat. Supposedly he sent her a corsage the next day with a note that told her to pin it on her white meat.

There's also the exchange with George Bernard Shaw: "Enclosed are 2 tickets to the opening night of my new play. Bring a friend, if you have one."

"Can't make opening night. I will come the second night, if there is one."

Great stuff Jim!