PDA

View Full Version : Rabot Kid

richard poitras
06-11-2014, 11:29 PM
Anyone ever seen or use one of these planes?

http://www.rabotkid.com/en/index.html

Defiantly different as they use razor blades...

John McClanahan
06-12-2014, 7:56 AM
I watched a demo at a woodworking show several years ago. Looked interesting. To me, it looked more like a remodeling tool, rather than fine woodworking. The base tool sold for $50 at the show at the time.

John

Dave Richards
06-12-2014, 8:06 AM
Didn't some German company market a similar product? As I remember, the blade chattered a lot because it was so thin. Maybe this one doesn't have that problem. I suppose it would be fairly easy to make your own out of a scrap of maple. I wonder if it is considered bevel up or bevel down. :D

glenn bradley
06-12-2014, 8:55 AM
Dad has a similar tool from the way-back machine. It works well for materials that one would be able to work with a razor blade. Most wood products run through the blades too fast to be a go-to tool but, that's not unusual. Works well for a more reasonable length of time with bass wood and balsa. Is very usable with synthetic (foam) modeling materials. Blade mounts chisel plane. regular plan or curved heel style for scooping.

HANK METZ
06-12-2014, 10:03 AM
I had a similar tool from the early '60's that employed used double- edged razor blades. It was a neat concept, but of limited usefulness again due to a lack of blade stiffness. It was a Wilko product (https://www.google.com/search?q=wilkro+razor+blade+plane&newwindow=1&client=firefox-a&hs=fI7&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=iLKZU63DA6OF8AGgqYCACg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAg&biw=1299&bih=738). Like the flying car, some dreams never die, they just resurface every decade or so.

Rick Potter
06-12-2014, 12:07 PM
Check out the Stanley RB5. It is a basic block plane that uses double edge blades. You can flip the blade from one end to the other on the base, and it becomes a bullnose plane. I picked one up cheap when Lowes was dumping them a few years back. Also got half a dozen 5 packs of blades for a quarter a pack. Blades are made in England, and look like scraper blades.

I also remember a plane using regular single edge razor blades at a show years ago. It was made in India. Never saw it again.

Rick P

Edit: Just looked, Amazon has the RB5 for $9.87. They also have replacement blades for $5.21 EACH. Guess that makes my two bits for a 5 pack a wise investment. Looks like you could resharpen them. I never thought of it because they were so cheap.

Roger Pozzi
06-13-2014, 7:53 AM
Yes. After spending a lot of time at their booth at the woodworking show looking closely for any slight of hand or trickery of some type, I bought into this concept thinking that it would be a good one-handed scraper. I must admit, it is not good, it is great! Also, it does a fantastic job with leveling proud box joints or splines.
I think their showmanship and advertising could benefit from a better presentation in English. (I don't do well with French)

Jim Matthews
06-13-2014, 9:28 AM
Rali produced a similar line of planes, using laminated metal plates
to build up a body. (The plates looked like the same material used to form audio frequency transformers.)

They had real limitations to setting shaving depths.

For a jobsite toolbox, this might be interesting.
I'm not one for tools that require disposable parts.

Those are forever being lost, or in need of replacement.

http://www.handplane.com/14/rali-planes-a-new-generation-of-hand-plane/