PDA

View Full Version : Rikon 14 inch band saw

Dave Fritz
06-11-2014, 9:35 PM
Today after using my band saw I found this in the unit. It's in the same place I found it.

Does anyone that has a Rikon 14 band saw know what this might be? I've looked at the manual and can't find this part and there's no obvious part missing that I can see.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Dave Fritz

Myk Rian
06-11-2014, 9:49 PM
Latch for the door?

Curt Harms
06-12-2014, 9:11 AM
I'll betcha it's part of the lower blade guide assembly. The knob that moves the lower guide assembly in and out sits in the U shaped cutout. It looks like part #120 in Rikon's online manual. Called a micro-adjusting knob bracket.

Myk Rian
06-12-2014, 12:00 PM
Blade guide would require some heftier bolts, instead of small screws.
One thing I did notice is your blade is tracking wrong. It should not be hanging over the edge of the wheel.

Bruce Page
06-12-2014, 12:06 PM
Get a small mirror and take another look. There has to be a couple of tapped screw holes in there somewhere.

Jim Colombo
06-12-2014, 1:04 PM
It looks like the lower guide adjustment pawl. The notch fits into the slot on the adjustment knob.

Curt Harms
06-12-2014, 2:22 PM
Get a small mirror and take another look. There has to be a couple of tapped screw holes in there somewhere.

There are. And you do need a mirror. They go into the bottom of an aluminum block underneath the left side guide bearing. The notch fits into a groove machined into the 'micro adjustment' knob. The function of this piece is when the knob is turned, the rear thrust bearing moves forward and aft. If Dave were to try to move the lower thrust bearing using the knob, the knob would turn but the thrust bearing wouldn't move. The parts drawing in the back of the online manual isn't very clear IMO.

Dave Fritz
06-12-2014, 7:41 PM
Thank you. I went to Woodcraft today and looked at a new unit and Curt is correct. I knew I'd get an answer here.

Dave Fritz