PDA

View Full Version : Running a Sub Panel to attached garage. Please check my Work before I begin

Blair Smock
06-11-2014, 7:03 PM
291115291114. I appreciate any help or advice.
I have two free Spaces on my Square D Main Panel. I plan on adding a 60amp breaker for my sub Panel.
The Sub Panel I have is a Square D 12 Circuit 6 Space 100amp Main Lug center. (I Plan on labeling this on the front and at the main it can only be used for a 60 amp service. Model number is QO612L 100SCP.
I am using 33-ft 6-3 Indoor Non-Metallic Wire)
Item #: 294914 | Model #: 63950032 from Lowes. My actual Run will be 33’ Total.

From the Main Panel ( See Picture) I will have to relocate one of my breakers to the opposite side. So I can fit my 60amp square D (QO260)

***My First question is my Main Panel has the Neutral busbar and the Ground Busbar together. When connecting the Sub Panel I understand the Neutral and Ground need to be separate. From My main panel would I attach the Neutral to one side and the ground to the other, or can they be on the same side. Please advise?

I Also Purchased Two Large Lugs so I can attach the #6 wire to my existing Ground and Nutrual /bar on the Main Panel.

***My Next question is this, I am located in Ohio, Does anyone know if I have to run conduit from my main to the sub. The Main is located in an unfinished part of my basement- My Plan was to run the 6-3 from the main and staple to the rafters in all the appropriate places required by code. When it enters the garage it will come in to a 90deg 1” piece of conduit straight up to the sub panel in 1” conduit all with the appropriate connectors. Main question is it ok for no conduit before it comes into the garage and run in 1” metal when it enters the garage up to the Panel.

I have a dedicated circuit in the garage for lighting on the main panel,
Currently have 1 240 tablesaw everything else is standard 120v
I will never have more than one 240 running at the same time.

Fyi, I Havent done electrical for several years, My Cousin is coming up to help over the weekend, He is a journeyman and knows much much more than me, I have gotten the above info from the net and doing research. I just wanted to have my ducts in a row before he arrives. Everything will be shut off and still given the utmost respect. Thank you in advance. Blair

Steve Meliza
06-14-2014, 1:38 AM
***My First question is my Main Panel has the Neutral busbar and the Ground Busbar together. When connecting the Sub Panel I understand the Neutral and Ground need to be separate. From My main panel would I attach the Neutral to one side and the ground to the other, or can they be on the same side. Please advise?
At the main panel they can connect to either or both as the neutral and ground are tied together. It sounds like you are aware then that the neutral and ground in your sub-panel are indeed separate.

***My Next question is this, I am located in Ohio, Does anyone know if I have to run conduit from my main to the sub. The Main is located in an unfinished part of my basement- My Plan was to run the 6-3 from the main and staple to the rafters in all the appropriate places required by code. When it enters the garage it will come in to a 90deg 1” piece of conduit straight up to the sub panel in 1” conduit all with the appropriate connectors. Main question is it ok for no conduit before it comes into the garage and run in 1” metal when it enters the garage up to the Panel.
Typically you need conduit where the NM would be subject to physical abuse and this can be very subjective. If you can find the room and budget to run conduit the full distance then you'll for sure be good to pass your inspection. In my garage the exiting NM for the lights was run through holes drilled about 1" in from the bottom edge of the rafters. Even though they were 8'1" up I was forever snagging them with plywood, ladders, and other boards. While re-doing the garage electrical that exposed NM was ripped out and EMT installed neatly. If you do any work in the area under the NM cable run you may run into similar issues.

Sounds like your cousin will be able to help you figure out the conduit issue as he'll be able to inspect the entire run and likely knows the electrical code for your area.

David G Baker
06-14-2014, 4:31 PM
The set up you showed looks good to me. The only question I have is will 60 amps be enough? I also like to use conduit in any area where it can possibly be damaged or be accessed by children.