PDA

View Full Version : Rocking Chair Class at local fine furniture maker

Mike Waddell
06-11-2014, 12:09 PM
Hello All,

I've had the good fortune to spend time recently with the craftsmen at a local furniture maker's shop. I'm not sure if it is proper etiquette to share their name here on the forum, so if you would like to know the name of the shop please message or email me and I will share their name with you. Also, if the moderator tells me it is fine to share their name I will happily do so.

I cannot say enough good things about such an opportunity. During this particular course (they have now done three of these in the last year or so) we built a rocking chair together. Each person taking the course worked one on one with one of the artisans at the company's shop (and what a GREAT shop it is), learning to set up their machines while also discussing the finer points of craftsmanship from board selection all the way through glue-up techniques.

We spent two VERY full days together. When I left on Sunday, the chair was glued up (except for the rockers left to attach). The company will then finish the piece with a hand-rubbed oil finish that they are famous for and ship the piece to my home (or pickup at one of their local stores at no cost).

I learned an incredible amount during the two day affair and highly recommend that, if you have not already done so, you take advantage of these types of situations. Here are a couple of pics