PDA

View Full Version : Questions from a newcomer

Andrew Holz
06-11-2014, 11:46 AM
Hello, everybody. I am a Laser World newcomer. Recently I got a Chinese 60W machine from Automation Tech. And now I am getting familiar with it... There are some issues I can not figure out myself. For some reason LaserWork6 does not recognize *ai files. When I am trying to import it I get a message: There is no data...:( However I can open it with AI.
Is there any good books on laser engraving in the market I can read? Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Jon Sollee
06-11-2014, 12:14 PM
Hey Andrew,

I import .ai files everyday to laserworx.. What sort of image are you trying to etch or cut? I don't know if there any books on this.. however just playing around with it like any other program will help you a bunch.

Rodne Gold
06-11-2014, 12:41 PM
You cannot import an ai file higher than ai ver 8. Save the ai as a ver 8 and try import.

Andrew Holz
06-11-2014, 1:05 PM
You cannot import an ai file higher than ai ver 8. Save the ai as a ver 8 and try import.
Thanks Rodne. I tried to save in *ai ver8 and ver3 and I got the same message: No Data! It looks like I just got to get a CorelDraw.... I have been working with Photoshop since version 3.5 (1996) and now I have to learn another software:mad: Who said that computers are to make our life easier???:)

Andrew Holz
06-11-2014, 1:13 PM
Hey Andrew,

I import .ai files everyday to laserworx.. What sort of image are you trying to etch or cut? I don't know if there any books on this.. however just playing around with it like any other program will help you a bunch.
Thanks Jon. Now I am trying to import some text files, created in AI - initials, signature etc. I need an arc text that is easy to create in AI. I could not figure out how to create an arc text in LaserWorks... I engrave on nail polish mask on steel to mark my knives with electro-etching. This is just for training and learning the machine. But now I am stocked...

Robert Walters
06-11-2014, 1:48 PM
I engrave on nail polish mask on steel to mark my knives with electro-etching.

Hi Andrew,

This "nail polish mask" you speak of, is it like a sheet/roll of material that's self-adhesive and you are creating stencils from you can then electro-etch?

Have a link? My googleFu is no good today it seems.

As far as a book goes...

What many people have done is just read every single post in this forum.
Yes, it's long, but there is a huge amount of real world information there from a variety of perspectives.

You can search too, but I find that it brings up too much information some times.

IF/when you get corel draw...
Nothing says you have to get the latest version. I saw v14 on amazon for $280.
There is the 'Home and Student' (non-commercial) version for $80 too (no book or extras).

matthew knott
06-11-2014, 2:14 PM
As mentioned save as V8 or bellow, also if its text you have to 'convert to curves' or outlines as the software cant handle text in any other way, try the file i attached as it will be a good tester for you, if this doesn't work i dont know whats wrong!!

Well that's annoying you cant upload .ai files some reason :( pm your email and i will ping a file over to you

Andrew Holz
06-11-2014, 2:32 PM
[QUOTE=Robert Walters;2277107]Hi Andrew,

This "nail polish mask" you speak of, is it like a sheet/roll of material that's self-adhesive and you are creating stencils from you can then electro-etch?.....
QUOTE]
Robert, I just apply nail polish (fast drying lacquer) on steel and instead of scratching it with a needle, I engrave a pattern with laser and then electro-etch the pattern.

Jerome Stanek
06-11-2014, 4:24 PM
If you export it as a DXF then you can import it in laserworks

Andrew Holz
06-13-2014, 11:38 AM
Thank you all, guys. I've just installed Corel and everything works fine.

Melinda Mendez
12-12-2017, 9:16 PM
Hello!

I am trying to get my LaserWorx to work with me. I have a Vytek, and I am trying to get the program to cut a stencil for me. I have imported my image from CoralDraw into LaserWorx. The result on the LaserWorx is, the lines on my sample is uneven on screen, whereas, on CoralDraw it is beautiful. I have tried everything I can thing of to get LaserWorx to work in my favor.
Can you anyone please help me!!!
Sincerely,
Distressed & Frustrated

Bill George
12-13-2017, 1:19 PM
Hello!

I am trying to get my LaserWorx to work with me. I have a Vytek, and I am trying to get the program to cut a stencil for me. I have imported my image from CoralDraw into LaserWorx. The result on the LaserWorx is, the lines on my sample is uneven on screen, whereas, on CoralDraw it is beautiful. I have tried everything I can thing of to get LaserWorx to work in my favor.
Can you anyone please help me!!!
Sincerely,
Distressed & Frustrated

How are you Exporting out of Corel Draw? DXF works for me. Take time to search for you answer first and read on here, most of the new people ask the same questions over and over again. Its not easy learning Corel Draw or laser work, takes some time.

Bert McMahan
12-13-2017, 2:04 PM
Could you share more about your electro etching process? I'd love to try that.