PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly vs ClearVue cyclones

Mike Suiter
06-11-2014, 8:06 AM
I'm going to put a cyclone in my new 30x40 shop I'm building and finally retire my HF DC (it just won't die). I've been doing a lot of searching and it pretty much seems that anyone that has a cyclone loves it no matter what brand. I've decided my choice will be between the Grizzly G0441 and the ClearVue 1800. The Grizzly is on sale and currently $1500 delivered and CV $2100 once you add the electrical box with remote, filter clean out box, hanging brackets, and shipping. For those prices you get the 55 gallon drum with the Grizzly and none with the CV.

Now I know the CV has a better American motor and better filters but I plan on putting the cyclone in its own room. So in doing that does the filter matter that much? I plan on running 6" main lines in my one-man hobby shop and will probably only need one blast gate open at a time. Is there anything else I'm missing here? I own several Grizzly machines and have been happy with them and I've heard good things about ClearVue, but $600 is money that could be used elsewhere in my new shop.

What do you guys think? Let me know if I'm missing anything in evaluating the 2 cyclones.

Matt Meiser
06-11-2014, 8:29 AM
If you are putting the cyclone in its own room the air you are sucking out of one room still has to be replaced. That means either it gets pulled in from outside or recycled from that room, whatever is easier. Not really a comment on the filters but just the general physics of the situation.

I just sold my G0441 since I'm moving and downsizing my shop significantly. I was very happy with mine. Its much better built than that cyclone company in New York would have you believe from their comparison. Not sure if Grizzly used that as constructive criticism for improvements or what.One thing that needed to be done on mine, but I never got around to it, was to figure out a better seal where hoses clamped to metal parts. There tended to be some blow-by especially at the mechanism on the clamps. That's probably true of any hose/clamp joint. We don't notice it at machines because those are on the suction side. The filter design works, but the bags at the bottom are prone to damage if you drop something against them, especially once they get a year or two old. More frequent replacement to guard against UV degradation is probably not a bad idea. The non-standard drum design makes finding bags other than from Grizzly a little tricky but I did find them at McMaster Carr. Overall it worked very well though and mine collected many bags of sawdust over the years--along with a tape measure or two, remotes, and some small parts that got away.

Clearvue owners love them but I couldn't get past the plastic-and-MDF construction, especially on the blower housing for that kind of money. My second choice was an Oneida.

Rick Alexander
06-11-2014, 9:13 AM
I went through the same decision some years ago and ultimately went with the G0441 like you are considering and never looked back. I'm like Matt - couldn't see that plastic and MDF lasting longer than steel and for a much better price point for me. I do have to make sure I pay attention when I use the drum sander that I'm not getting too much pressure on that little clear cleanout bag. I guess the cyclone itself isn't probably as efficient as the clearview. I also think like Matt that I'm having issues with the seal at the cyclone itself as I get some fine dust around the corner there where it's sitting. I never considered that to be honest but I bet that is what's going on. I've taken the filter off a couple of times and blew it out with compressed air as well. Might want to do that on a rainy and slightly windy day. I came off the cyclone with the 9 inches for about 2 feet and then split if off into two separate 6 inch branches - one for one wall of the shop (RAS/chop saw/belt-disk sander/TS) and one to the other side of the shop (Planer/horizontal sander/jointer/2 router tables/drum sander/pocket hole machine). It depends on the machines but I can usually keep 2 gates open for each leg and not have a problem with collection. The drum sander however requires all the gates to be closed but that and like I said I have to watch the pressure buildup at the bag. Also, if I'm planing a bunch of wood at once, I put two 55 gal separator bins on a Y in line to collect the chips prior to going down the pipe to the cyclone and when I'm doing that I have to have all the other gates closed. Planing will fill that 55 gal bin up fast but this setup works great to solve that problem. Most of my machines are set up on 6 inch lines at least to very close to the machine to maximize air flow. Be aware if you're going to run 6 inch it gets pretty expensive but I can tell you it makes a gigantic difference - well worth the one time expense.

Ole Anderson
06-11-2014, 9:47 AM
Six inch lines seem to be the standard, but with a larger cyclone like you are considering, you will be better served with a main run 7" in diameter. That is the sweet spot between optimum duct velocity and pressure losses for 800 cfm which is where you want to be with your top and bottom sucking TS hook up. 7" 26 gage snap lock steel isn't much more expensive than 6" plastic S&D pipe. As for the cyclone choice, the CV might suck better but you pay more for the MDF and plastic unit. Like Matt, I couldn't get by that. Went with yellow.

By the way, this thread might be better served in the Workshop forum where most DC discussions take place.

David Kumm
06-11-2014, 10:10 AM
Not really an apples to apples comparison but if you decide to go the Grizzly, I'm with Ole. Spend for a 7" main at get the most out of your $$. Static pressure is the killer in small cyclone systems and you will gain significant cfm with the extra inch of main. My other concern is that the filter area could be greater. Spun bond is pretty durable but filtration is always better if you can increase the area of fabric. Also adds cfm. I don't know if a larger filter can be specified but I'd ask. The CV filters are probably $200 of the price difference. Dave

mreza Salav
06-11-2014, 12:35 PM
You'd appreciate being able to see how far up the cyclone cone you have over-filled your bin. It is not a matter of "if", but how many times that happens. I have an over-fill bin sensor that kicks with about a 30 seconds delay but if you are planing a 12" wide board it takes only a few seconds to get passed the sensor and into the cone (planers produce a LOT of shavings).
As David said, extra filter area is important. I am not banging my CV or don't plan to mount/unmount the thing on a daily basis. So MDF/plastic thing is not of a concern to me.

Art Mann
06-11-2014, 1:44 PM
The Clearvue and Grizzly units aren't directly comparable because the Clearvue is only a partial kit that you have to assemble and supply some of your own materials.Personally, I would rather build furniture than dust collection equipment.

For what its worth, Wood magazine did a comparison of the various cyclones that are available and the Clearvue didn't rate very well. The builders had a lot of trouble sealing up the air leaks that go along with a build-your-own kit.

Mike Suiter
06-11-2014, 2:15 PM
Thanks for the replies. I thought about putting a furnace filter opening in the room for the air replacement. Don't know if that's a good idea or not. With ClearVue's site it's hard to figure out what all else you need with the main unit to use it.

Anyone know which issue of Wood did the cyclone test?

David Kumm
06-11-2014, 2:48 PM
I don't own either cyclone so I don't have a dog in this fight but don't take that magazine test too seriously. something was wrong in the testing execution as the difference in cyclone efficiency among any wood cyclone of similar length and design will be incremental. It is more about adequate size to provide the cfm under pressure to grab the dust at the machine and how efficient the filters are relative to the resistance they produce. Dave

Cary Falk
06-11-2014, 4:15 PM
I was making this decision last year. I first started out thinking I would take my 3 hp double bagger and make a cyclone according to Bill Pentz's site. Then I thought maybe it would be better to sell the 2 bagger and buy the 5hp motor and blower per Bill's site. By the time I priced out materials I was real close to the G0441. I figured why waste the time to make one. I looked at the clearview but decided I didn't want to make one before so why make one now. I was put off by the plastic and particle board for the cost as others had said. I bought the G0441. I'm no dust collector expeert but I am happy. It is built like a tank and hasn't given me a bit of trouble. I use the 55gal drum liners from HD for the bags. They are tight but they work good enough.

Cary Falk
06-11-2014, 4:27 PM
Anyone know which issue of Wood did the cyclone test?
It was May 2013. I can't find my issue. If I recall Clearview was not testd and then they reported Clearview results several issues later.

Art Mann
06-14-2014, 11:33 PM
The follow-up test of the Clearvue dust collector comparing it to all the other units was published in the March 2014 issue. Air flow measurements of the system showed that it was somewhere in the middle of the group. The measurement of the effectiveness of the filter system placed it at the bottom of the group. Their overall conclusion was that the unit is expensive for a unit you have to build yourself and the performance is worse than many lower cost units.

Curt Harms
06-15-2014, 9:52 AM
The follow-up test of the Clearvue dust collector comparing it to all the other units was published in the March 2014 issue. Air flow measurements of the system showed that it was somewhere in the middle of the group. The measurement of the effectiveness of the filter system placed it at the bottom of the group. Their overall conclusion was that the unit is expensive for a unit you have to build yourself and the performance is worse than many lower cost units.

As I recall, the problem was with the filter assembly, not the blower or cyclone. There was speculation that perhaps the filters were not assembled correctly or something but I don't recall any explanation.

glenn bradley
06-15-2014, 10:53 AM
It was May 2013. I can't find my issue. If I recall Clearview was not testd and then they reported Clearview results several issues later.

They also reported them as being fairly poor which I found hard to believe. This caused quite an uproar and I don't know that it was ever resolved. I have run a Grizzly almost daily for about 5 years and have been happy with it.

Rick Fisher
06-15-2014, 1:08 PM
I have a friend who runs a 5hp Shop Fox, which I would suggest is similar to Grizzly.. He loves it and has found it a reliable workhorse ..

Art Mann
06-16-2014, 10:56 AM
As I recall, the problem was with the filter assembly, not the blower or cyclone. There was speculation that perhaps the filters were not assembled correctly or something but I don't recall any explanation.

I think it is possible that the leaks weren't entirely stopped or the filter assembly wasn't done correctly and that caused the high residual dust readings. As I recall, the system uses Wynn Environmental filters and those units have been tested and verified elsewhere to be good. What surprised me was the relatively poor air flow for a machine that has a 5 hp motor. Air flow is easy to measure and small leaks (assembly issues) are irrelevant. Many people regard the Clearvue as the gold standard for hobby woodworking but I have never seen any definitive tests from anyone other than the manufacturer or designer that verified this conclusion. I have come to believe that the basic blower/cyclone design must not be very good.

Alan Bienlein
06-16-2014, 1:01 PM
I think it is possible that the leaks weren't entirely stopped or the filter assembly wasn't done correctly and that caused the high residual dust readings. As I recall, the system uses Wynn Environmental filters and those units have been tested and verified elsewhere to be good. What surprised me was the relatively poor air flow for a machine that has a 5 hp motor. Air flow is easy to measure and small leaks (assembly issues) are irrelevant. Many people regard the Clearvue as the gold standard for hobby woodworking but I have never seen any definitive tests from anyone other than the manufacturer or designer that verified this conclusion. I have come to believe that the basic blower/cyclone design must not be very good.

See this thread for some measurements of a Pentz designed cyclone.http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?213202-Preliminary-test-measurements-on-my-dust-collection-system&highlight=

Art Mann
06-16-2014, 4:26 PM
You know, I had forgotten all about that thread, even though I commented on it. That was an informative post. I know you built your machine from Pentz plans but you used an 8 inch inlet. The CV1800 uses a 6 inch inlet. The maximum air flow per their specification is 1440 CFM, which is much less than what you are seeing. It looks like your machine is performing more like the CVMAX. That machine costs more than the one Wood magazine tested.

Michael Stockdale
07-09-2014, 8:49 AM
I am currently reading everything I can find about the cyclones available on the market today... I am hoping to install a 3hp (minimum) in my small shop within the next 2-4 months. I've already decided that I'm not going for the ClearVue because of the plastic and mdf construction, but I am considering building a Pentz design on my own... Of course, like most... I tend to associate cost with quality... though I realize that is not always accurate. Both the Oneida 3hp Super Dust Gorilla and the PRO1500 are very attractive, and one of them may ultimately be my decision. That said, the Grizzly GO441 looks like the most economical decision hands-down, especially when you consider shipping costs. And, everyone who owns one or has direct knowledge of them, seems to speak highly of them. My concerns center around the less than ideal filter stack included with the Grizzly, and the not so stellar quality control issues Grizzly seems to have with some of their products (typical of imports). I've already looked at Wynn filters, and I can add a stack of their 18" nano filters for less than $500... still coming in less than the Oneida Pro unit.

I know I have yet to ask a real question... Just looking for some confirmation from someone as to the Grizzly unit's quality. I plan on this being a "for the rest of my days" type decision (maybe 20-25 more years), so I would rather do it right the first time. Any inputs are welcome...

Michael

Lugoff, SC

David Kumm
07-09-2014, 8:58 AM
While I'm not as big a fan of the Oneida cyclone design compared to the CV or even the Grizzly ( Oneida's sheet metal work is good ), I do think they use the best motor of the three. A DC motor works hard, the hardest of all your motors, so if longevity is an issue you have to look at that. I outgrew my 3 hp and then outgrew my 5 hp so it is hard for me to relate to a system lasting that long though. Dave

Michael Stockdale
07-09-2014, 9:05 AM
David - Understand the design concerns... I have actually thought about buying an Oneida design and adding an "air ramp" before assembling/installing... That seems to be the major difference between their older design and the Pentz/Grizzly units. Yes, I understand that the inlet is not sloped properly to align with said air ramp, but I can't imagine the differences in efficiency being that great. Maybe I am mistaken...

Michael

Lugoff, SC

Steve Milito
07-09-2014, 9:23 AM
I know I have yet to ask a real question... Just looking for some confirmation from someone as to the Grizzly unit's quality. I plan on this being a "for the rest of my days" type decision (maybe 20-25 more years), so I would rather do it right the first time. Any inputs are welcome...

I don't see any quality issues with my Grizzly. Sheet metal work is fine. The welds are good, probably wouldn't meet 'food grade' standards, but they don't need to. I've never seen an Oneida but my Griz was significantly less expensive.

Michael Stockdale
07-09-2014, 9:38 AM
Steve - Thanks... And, I agree... It's basically a big vaccum, not an aircraft. I am trying to talk myself into getting the Grizzly... Just not quite there yet.

Michael

Lugoff, SC

John Huds0n
07-09-2014, 9:54 AM
If you are looking in the $1,600 to $2,000 range - take a look at the 3 hp JDS

http://jdstools.com/3hpcyclone3100-ck2300cfmdustcollector.aspx

It comes with a rf remote and the drum. I have had mine since the first of the year and I am very pleased with it. I will say that this is one of the shorter cyclones at 86", but that is one of the primary reasons that I bought it. I was seriously considering the ClearVue, but I just didn't have the ceiling height where I wanted to put it, and again the mdf/plastic construction was not impressive

I had originally planned on permanently mounting it and running ductwork, but I have found that since I got it - I actually like being able to move it around.

I found it to be a quality unit - but there is one drawback with a compact cyclone like this. Some of the 'fines' do make it into the filter side, but JDS has an automatic cleaner. Once the unit is powered off, a short time later what I call the 'beater' motor runs which turns a flapper mechanism to knock the fines out of the filter into it's own separate catch bag. The drawback is when the beater motor runs, it can be loud and annoying

I believe the JDS and similar Laguna cyclone are made in the same factory

David Kumm
07-09-2014, 10:06 AM
Michael, the helical baffle is the bigger deal than the sloped inlet but it really only is an issue if you are running a widebelt or drum sander with cartridges. CV mimics commercial cyclone design but all of the above will keep big chips out of the filters. With 3-5 hp systems it is more important to get the pipe sizing right. Don't cheap out on undersized pipe and short radius ells. Good place to put extra $$. Dave

Michael Stockdale
07-09-2014, 10:09 AM
Planning on running 7" mains with 6" drops, only reducing to 4" if absoluely necessary... I guess if I buy the Grizzly, I will have to adapt the 8" to 7" at some point...

Michael

Lugoff, SC

Wade Lippman
07-09-2014, 12:17 PM
If you are looking in the $1,600 to $2,000 range - take a look at the 3 hp JDS

http://jdstools.com/3hpcyclone3100-ck2300cfmdustcollector.aspx

I had the JDS because it was short and I had a 90" ceiling. It worked okay, but dust bin cover isn't very good. Also I found the drum cleaner to be really obnoxious. I sold it when I moved and got a Grizzly that I like much more. But if you need short or portable, the JDS might be a good choice.

BTW, I also used to own an Oneida; a 1.5hp portable. A filter was defective, as was the replacement they sent me. The third one was fine.

Michael Stockdale
07-09-2014, 12:25 PM
Got 12' ceilings in the shop... So, no requirement for a shorter unit.

Michael

Lugoff, SC

Steve Milito
07-09-2014, 4:56 PM
Grizzly's customer service more than makes up for the QC. When I bought my DC they were transitioning from the old design to the new design. I drove to the PA store, liked what I saw, and bought a unit. They assured me that they were all the new version. When I opened the crate at home I realized it was the older unit. They offered to replace the unit, including shipping to the version I wanted. They told me stock was available at my store. I decided it would just be simpler to drive back to the store and swap units. I had them open the crates to verify it was the new unit and off I was. No one ever said "hey they are almost identical and there is nothing wrong with the one you got". No hassles. The only reason I made a fuss was that I liked the way the filters were attached on the newer model and figured it would be easier to get an aftermarket filter with the new design. Really good company from a customer service standpoint.

Michael W. Clark
07-10-2014, 7:55 AM
The 12 foot ceilings are a major asset for you. Keep plenty of room below the cone and your drum. You may want to install a level switch in the drum because if you fill it up, you will get carryover to the filters.

With the flows we are talking in the 3-5HP range, dense air (not hot), and large particle sizes of most home wwing operations (with the exception of sanders like Dave mentioned), the Oneida, CV, and Grizzly will be very efficient. The key is the motor, emptying the drum before it gets too full, and the filter area.

If I were buying new, it would be hard not to go with the Grizzly. You can add a bin level switch pretty easily if one is not available as an option. The motor can be replaced later if it goes out, (Leeson and Baldor go bad too). Filters are not a life-time purchase, they are a consumable as well and can be changed/upgraded when the stock one blinds. Vent outside if/when you can.

Mike

Marty Tippin
07-10-2014, 10:58 AM
So it looks like the Grizzly G0441 doesn't come with a stand - that's an extra $275. But it seems that it would be pretty easy to make a stand out of dimensional lumber that would work just fine and cost a lot less. Has anyone done that?

I'm looking to step up from my Delta portable dust collector, but not sure I need the size of the G0441. I only use one tool at a time, but I have at least 6 tools that I'd like to connect via duct and blast gates. Would the G0440 be adequate?

Steve Milito
07-10-2014, 12:03 PM
I'm looking to step up from my Delta portable dust collector, but not sure I need the size of the G0441. I only use one tool at a time, but I have at least 6 tools that I'd like to connect via duct and blast gates. Would the G0440 be adequate?
Assuming that you only use one tool at a time, it's not the number of tools but rather the particulars of the most demanding tool you intend to use, the distance, the number of bends, and the pipe you use that determines the required CFM, which in turn specifies the required unit.

Alan Schaffter
07-10-2014, 11:36 PM
I've heard there could be a new gun in town in about a year w/latest design and a really novel integrated monitoring and control setup. Not sure who would come up with something like that though.

Ed McEowen
07-12-2014, 9:17 PM
Here's my stand, three different kinds of wood:

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd374/sawyered/shop/creations007_zps73c8ec1b.jpg (http://s1216.photobucket.com/user/sawyered/media/shop/creations007_zps73c8ec1b.jpg.html)

Michael Liechty
07-16-2014, 10:46 AM
I'm looking at the same thing I can't get beyond the $395 shipping from that company in NY. any idea if the inlet on the Grizzly can be rotated so it exits out the front?

ML

Steve Milito
07-16-2014, 11:13 AM
I'm looking at the same thing I can't get beyond the $395 shipping from that company in NY. any idea if the inlet on the Grizzly can be rotated so it exits out the front?

ML

Yes, If you look carefully at the photo you can see the bolt pattern that connects the housing.

Jim Andrew
07-16-2014, 7:41 PM
Personally, I'd go with the Grizzly cyclone.I have several Grizzly machines,can count 6 in my head, and have had hardly any problems with any of them. And I'm still sore at Oneida for selling me a sensor for my dust collector that DOES NOT WORK!

Erik Christensen
07-18-2014, 1:10 PM
most of my major tools are grizzly but I went with CV for the DC. I would make the same choice again. Has worked flawlessly for 4+ years and can handle multiple machines on a 6" pvc system.

Michael Liechty
07-21-2014, 12:00 PM
anyone with the Grizzly willing to measure the width from outside the filter housing to the outside of the cyclone for me?

ML

Steve Milito
07-21-2014, 1:44 PM
anyone with the Grizzly willing to measure the width from outside the filter housing to the outside of the cyclone for me?

ML

Does this help (http://cdn0.grizzly.com/specsheets/g0441_as.pdf)?

Michael Liechty
07-21-2014, 1:58 PM
Thanks Steve, was hoping for real world, seems grizzly changes their dimensions frequently. I have a a alcove for it and can't move the 1400 LB safe its it doesn't fit...

ML

Ed McEowen
07-21-2014, 9:39 PM
With my homemade stand, my G0441 measures 59" width.

Michael Liechty
07-22-2014, 1:37 PM
Thanks Ed Much appreciated.

ML

marty shultz
07-27-2014, 8:06 PM
I have had a clearview for about 8 years and it has worked very well. I'm getting ready to purchased another DC. Hadn't considered the Griz before.

One thing that's missing from this thread is the fan curves or facts associated with moving air. All 5 hp dc's will move chips. I'm also interested in how much noise is produced. The CV is loud.

marty shultz
07-27-2014, 8:12 PM
After reviewing the Grizzly I noticed it's only a 3 hp motor compared to the 5 hp of the CV. And I don't believe the filters are the same as the Wynn filters. The price for the 5 hp Griz was $2400 which is more than the CV unless I'm missing something.

Ole Anderson
07-28-2014, 8:18 AM
After reviewing the Grizzly I noticed it's only a 3 hp motor compared to the 5 hp of the CV. And I don't believe the filters are the same as the Wynn filters. The price for the 5 hp Griz was $2400 which is more than the CV unless I'm missing something.

If I recall, the CV design requires just over 3 hp, the next available motor was a 5 hp, so you can't necessarily compare it with other units that may actually require just under 5 hp. The impeller size and design dictates the fan curve which is the real indicator of air moving performance, not horsepower. You could put a 10 hp motor on a CV and the performance would be the same. The issue has always been obtaining a fan curve that is accurate. Each manufacturer tests their cyclones differently, so while not worthless, it becomes difficult to compare cyclones based on the fan curve. However, when the units are tested by an "independent" group such as Wood magazine, then you can draw some conclusions. Even on my 2 hp Oneida, you can find two different curves on their website. Of course performance has two major components, air movement vs suction and dust removal efficiency, the latter of which is largely based on the cyclone design and the filter provided.

http://www.oneida-air.com/PDF/AWW%20...jan%202006.pdf (http://www.oneida-air.com/PDF/AWW%20article%20jan%202006.pdf) 2006 American Woodworker mag test
http://www.oneida-air.com/PDF/Wood%2...r%20review.pdf (http://www.oneida-air.com/PDF/Wood%20Dust%20Collector%20review.pdf) 2013 Wood mag test
And for a more than full discussion of the last test, you may have seen this thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...-Shop-Cyclones (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?197321-Wood-Magazine-to-Test-Whole-Shop-Cyclones)
Sorry, I don't have a URL for the subsequent Wood mag review (pan) of the CV.

Peter Froh
07-28-2014, 3:43 PM
None of your links worked for me.

Ole Anderson
07-29-2014, 9:44 AM
None of your links worked for me.

The first two require that you have Adobe Reader to view the .pdf files, and the third is just a fairly current Sawmillcreek thread, all work for me. Maybe it's a Canadian thing, eh?

Noel Poore
07-30-2014, 9:01 AM
The links don't work if you are using ForumRunner. They work if you are reading the forum in a browser.

Noel

Wade Lippman
07-30-2014, 12:36 PM

I would love to know why the 3hp Griz uses more current than the 5hp CV, or more than the motors on other 3hp Griz tools. I thought it was some kind of hype, but it really does draw 22a. Did they select a special low efficiency motor for their cyclone?

Ole Anderson
07-30-2014, 2:19 PM
I would love to know why the 3hp Griz uses more current than the 5hp CV, or more than the motors on other 3hp Griz tools. I thought it was some kind of hype, but it really does draw 22a. Did they select a special low efficiency motor for their cyclone?

My guess is yes. Modern high efficiency motors generally cost more.

Art Mann
07-31-2014, 11:04 PM

There is something more going on here than meets the eye. It seems to me that some specs somewhere are in error. That is the most inefficient motor I have ever heard of if it actually draws 22A while delivering only 3 horsepower steady state. 3 hp is equivalent to 2.2 kW but 240VAC at 22A is 5.2kW. That means that the motor is dissipating something like 3kW in heat. That is twice the output of a 120VAC plug in space heater. Does the motor really put out that much heat? Reactive current could account for some of it but not that much.

Jim O'Dell
07-31-2014, 11:10 PM
You will find lots of information on the Oneida, Grizzly, ClearVue including some heated debates, and I've been in a few of those, in the archives if you do some searches here. I briefly looked at the Oneida. Couldn't get past the pricing for my "perceived" features it offered. One of the Griz units was on my short list and ended up second. I got the CV from the original owner, Ed Morgano. While I still don't like the use of the term "plastic" without qualifying what type of plastic the CV is made out of, I understand people have a fear of it. In the 8+ years I've had mine, I have never had an issue with either the MDF, or the PTEG material of the cyclone body, and my shop is not climate controlled. I have found the performance to be more than adequate for my shop and needs.
And I don't think that a magazine that sells ads is the best resource for unbiased information on anything. I know they will disagree with me on that. My recommendation would be to see if there are any woodworkers in a reasonable driving distance from your local that have units of various brands and models that would allow you to come and see it in operation. I have hosted woodworkers before to look at both my CV and my Grizzly cabinet saw, and would be happy to do so again. I think most woodworkers would be happy to do so with any of their equipment. Maybe talk to the manufacturers of the models you are most interested, and see if they would be willing to contact someone who has purchased one of their units in your area and pass along your contact information to try to set up a meet and greet. That is the best way I can think of to help you make the decision you are making.
In the long run, any of these units are going to do a good job for you. I've only heard of one woodworker complain about the cyclone he bought. Face it, there aren't many of us out there that will buy more than one of these in our lifetimes. And if you do, I'd bet you would return to the manufacturer you purchased your first unit from as long as you were happy with it!
And one more note....put as much effort into designing your pickup hoods as you do in the decision on which cyclone to go with. You can have a super commercial unit and the performance will be sub-par if you can't catch the wood chips and dust to begin with! Jim.

David Kumm
08-01-2014, 12:37 AM
Seems like this was discussed before and someone who had the unit verified the amp draw. Given the size of the impeller it could be that Grizzly just uses basically the same motor in their 3 and 5 hp units. Not much cost difference if any. Maybe someone at Grizzly will verify. 22 amps isn't terribly efficient for a 5 hp motor so I doubt the three is way less efficient. Dave