PDA

View Full Version : What keeps a signature from smearing?

Brian Kent
06-11-2014, 12:26 AM
I am delivering 10 communion sets tomorrow- signing 20 pieces tonight. I will be writing over shellac, but I think the next layer of shellac fuzzes up the writing.

I have dewaxed shellac, paste wax, wtf, and spray acrylic. Will any of these work over a signature or do I even need anything over a signature?

Bill Boehme
06-11-2014, 12:37 AM
Don't put anything over the signature or else use a Dremel engraver to sign the pieces and then fill with stain. Then you can apply a topcoat without bleeding.

Keith Westfall
06-11-2014, 1:08 AM
What do you sign it with? I have a fine tip pen that I got from an art store that doesn't seems to smear or react to a wipe on turner finish/polish that I use.

klw

Brian Kent
06-11-2014, 1:25 AM
I have a flo-tip pen that stopped working, so I finished with a fine tip marker.

John Keeton
06-11-2014, 6:55 AM
I typically use Pigma Micron archival pens and seal with a wipe on coat of Deft lacquer, which does not effect the signature. However, shellac would due to the DNA base.

Dan Masshardt
06-11-2014, 7:54 AM
Thanks for bringing up the question as I'm interested in these answers as well. Post some pictures of the sets!!

Sean Hughto
06-11-2014, 9:00 AM
burning it in works

the alcohol in the shellac tends to re-wet most inks to some extent or at least slightly redissolve the first layer od shellac the ink is resting on

A paint pen on the bare wood followed by shellac would be what I might try. And shellac is magic in that it can cover anything and anything can cover it - so the spray acrylic or a spray lacquer might be a good insurance policy as a sealer over the signature before the next coat of shellac.

--------------------------
Sorry, Mr. Keaton. I didn't even know what wtf was (apparently General Woodturners Finish), so was making a joke based upon the common texting acronym/internet meme the youngins use. No offense to General or anyone else!

Rick Gibson
06-11-2014, 12:12 PM
I've used a fine tip sharpie for the signature and then finished over that with CA. I did write directly on the wood before any finish and then the first layer of CA was put on with as little wiping motion as possible.