PDA

View Full Version : Therapy for a sore back?

steven c newman
06-09-2014, 10:21 PM
I don't think this is what they were talking about290967Have some old Barn Siding, Double Dutch 4" stuff. Ripped right down the middle of the double. Need to joint a few edges staright and square, may have to glue a few panels up. Leg vise and Crochet held things up. Jointer plane is a Stanley #31. Making some nice curls. The tongue or groove edge was planed off with a scrub jack first. Then the Jointer went at it. Later, when I do the faces, I have a few other planes to work with290968A Stanley #5-1/2, A Stanley #5, and a Stanley SW Four Square 5-1/4. Just a few boards to do290969and if they all turn out like the board in front, should be so good stuff to use.... BTW: Note them curlies in the second photo. That is the #31's results.

Jim Koepke
06-10-2014, 12:12 AM
Ibuprofen works pretty good for me on minor aches and pains.

jtk

steven c newman
06-10-2014, 1:39 PM
Trust me, there is Pain Killers, and anti-inflammatories galore in the system. Might be a good thing I use hand tools?

We'll see how it goes with a handsaw after awhile. Just finished stoning one side of a Disston D-7 Light Weight saw. 8 pointer, should be ok to crosscut these boards?

Have an OLD D( no hyphen)8 that will need a re-toothing along the last 6" or so. Farmer used just that much of the saw, and forgot to use the entire saw. Teeth from the worn area on back look like NEW, are at least never used. Don't feel like jointing the entire plate, so maybe a "breasting" at the toe? Don't want to make this into a Panel saw, just for a few inches of bad teeth.

steven c newman
06-10-2014, 3:29 PM
The Disston D-7 Lightweight 8 ppi saw has had the right side of the teeth hit with the oil stone. Test cuts on some Pine/Fir Barn Siding291014 Cuts very fast and a bit rough, but, it now cuts straight as can be. Might now be a keeper?

steven c newman
06-10-2014, 10:21 PM
More "therapy"291038a six board table top being test fitted. The boards were cleaned up with the two planes sitting there. I did find ONE nail tip. It was just below the surface, but not quite deep enough. The Scrub Jack found it anyway. Pushed the nail on down through the board, spent maybe ten minutes to renew the cambered edge of one dent. Back in service. Wax the sole,too291039The black streak is where no wax was applied. The plane on the bottomis a Sargent #414c, with just the corners cambered. Boards are 30" long. Maybe I can stumble down the stairs tomorrow and apply some glue, and make a table top? Then get a few more boards cleaned up, and work on a base...

Bill Houghton
06-10-2014, 11:14 PM
rest and ibuprofen or other such drugs.

But, better in the long run is getting some information on exercises from your doc/physical therapist, and being diligent about them.

steven c newman
06-11-2014, 5:49 PM
I've been doing this hand plane work as a way to limber the back up. Can't sit around all day, eating pain pills, and roasting on a heating pad.

That said. I did get the six boards into the clamps with a good bit of glue. They can sit there a day, no real rush. I also needed to mill down a few aprons. Two long ones, and two shorties. They all had to be S4S, including a groove needing to be planed off. 291098The plane is a Corsair C-5 Scrub jack. 291099Set a bit rank, doesn't take too long291100and a few swipes with the Jumbo Jack. So far, I have used the Stanley #31 to joint the long edges straight. and three different jack planes. Worked down a few face grain 291101with a Sargent #414c. Made quite a mess, too291102sometimes, them big curls just wrap around my wrist as I go. On some of the boards, either the 5-1/2 Jombo cleaned up291103the face grain, on others291104the newest jack in the shop smoothed out the saw marks on the edge grain. This one is a Stanley #5 Type 17. At no time did any of the smooth planes even came out of the tool chest. Their turn comes later. Need to rip a 8/4 x 4" Oak blank into four legs for this table. Hmmm, taper them by just the handplanes? Or, go digging around and pulling out the old lathe, to turn the legs? Either way, would beabout the same amount of work, er, Therapy. Hoping I can get back to work at my "Day Job" this weekend, been off from this sore back for almost two weeks...

steven c newman
06-12-2014, 3:12 PM
Well, another day of rehab. Had to resaw a blank of red oak to make leg blanks for a table build. Don't have a table saw to rip with, a bit sore to handsaw it. So, I made a guide fence for a circular saw.291160and clamp a blank to the workbench291161being careful not to cut into the bench. Had to move the clamps once to complete the rip cut. Then I needed the two halves cut to length291162This is the saw I stoned one side of the teeth on. Now cuts a straight line, and cuts the oak like butter. A Treasure Hunt in all them boxes produce a long metal object291163I think it is called a Lathe? Anyway, dug out the lathe chisels, cleaned the bed of the lathe, and chucked a blank onto the lathe291164Kept going until I had a couple legs done291165Then decided it was about lunch time. I also allowed the motor on the lathe to cool down awhile. After lunch break, turned the other two legs. Then put the lathe away, as I needed the benchtop cleared off. Have to start making a set of aprons, and work on the top291166Since it has been sitting clamped up for a day. Should be about ready to come out of the clamps?