PDA

View Full Version : A veneer question

Brent Smith
06-29-2005, 5:49 PM
I have a few cabinets to do with rosewood veneer.This stuff is not cheap as you all know.I have access to a bunch of 2'x8' rolls of paper backed walnut veneer which I'd like to use on the insides of the cabinets to balance the veneer on the outside( and to save a few dollars.I'm using baltic plywood as a subsrate.

My question is.........has anyone used paperbacked veneer to balance against non-backed veneer. I don't know if the paper will act to put more stress on the board than the rosewood will.

Any thoughts on the matter will be appreciated.

Brent

Chris Barton
06-29-2005, 6:31 PM
Hi Brent,

I do a fair amount of veneering and from what I have seen you will be fine with the paper backed veneer. I have read many books and one of the authors even says that the whole "balancing" issue is a non-issue. I have made one project where I used a veneer on one side of a table top with an MDF substrate and no balancing side and I have had the piece for 2 years now without any issues. I think it mostly depends on the thickness of the veneer and the size of the field. I think you would be safe.

Chris

Doug Shepard
06-29-2005, 7:01 PM
I haven't done a ton of veneering, but the last projects I did with veneer was paper-backed veneer on 3/8" Baltic Birch ply (pieces about 14" x 24"). Like Chris, I didn't balance the other side either, but I did have a hardwood edging applied which may have stiffened things up. 3-4 years later and everything is still flat (knock on wood).

Earl Kelly
06-29-2005, 10:56 PM
Brent, the paperbacked should be OK. But be careful using anything other than urea resin glue with rosewood. Rosewood tends to check when glued with PVA or Titebond type glue.

Dave Tinley
06-30-2005, 9:25 AM
Brent
I am assuming you are using 3/4 plywood or mdf for a substrate?? If that be the case then I would not worry about a "balance" issue. If you walk into most any of the high dollar furniture stores, take a look at the underside of a dining table, in most cases you will find that the bottom has not been veneered.
The question of balance comes into play when using a 3/8 or thinner substrate. I have gotten 1/4 plywood to cup when veneering one side, but never with 3/4 substrate.
So, to answer your question, you would be fine using the paperback veneer for the inside, but IMHO it is not neccessary.
Hope this helps,
Dave