PDA

View Full Version : Euro Griggio “T” jointer guard

Larry Copas
06-09-2014, 9:56 PM
I'm not for sure if this is the right guard for my jointer. It measures 22” long for a 12” jointer. It looks like I can cut off 6” without effecting anything. It would make it a lot easier to walk around, especially when the fence is toward the operator side.

Thought I would ask before I did something I might regret later on. This is my first experience with this type of guard.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/5tucker/DSCF7895.jpg

johnny means
06-09-2014, 10:30 PM
The extra length means you are never grabbing above the cutter to adjust the guard. When I go to edge joint boards that I just faced, I dont necessarily turn off the jointer first. This could become messy real quick if I was grabbing the guard at the cutterhead.

Rick Fisher
06-10-2014, 2:00 AM
Hey Larry .. I would not cut it .. I prefer the porkchop guard. You and I have the same jointer :)

The Suva model of that guard is nice for that reason.

Kevin Jenness
06-10-2014, 6:45 AM
I would cut it but leave enough length to the left of the clamp for safe adjustment. We have a similar guard on our 400mm Griggio. I prefer it as you can run boards beneath it for facing and the cutterhead is always covere. Some others in the shop open it up the width of the board for facing, which I feel is less safe than a porkchop type. (I am assuming yours allows being suspended up over the workpiece like ours.) It also allows for sliding the board back over the guard, nice for heavy pieces.