PDA

View Full Version : You made me do it

Rick Potter
06-09-2014, 2:28 PM
All this talk of Bessey clamps, including my own post, made me look into the Asian/German differences. Factor that in with Lowes dumping all Bessey clamps, and you have a classic clamp hunt situation ;).

It was a lovely summer evening, and my wife and I decided it was a great time for clamp huntin'. Four Lowes stores later, we came home tired and bruised, but filled our clamp quota for a while. We picked up some German F-Clamps in 6 and 12" sizes for under $5 each, some Revo clamps 24-48" for about $15 each, a couple hand squeezer types for $5, two $40 band clamps for $10 ea., and just for fun, got some 12" Asian F clamps for holding jigs. Yup, they are lighter weight, but I really like the spring loaded feature. You don't need three hands to put one on. $4 each.

I figure we saved more than $300 overall.

Next stop, Harbor Freight, to return four 6" F clamps that have slipping handles after a couple uses, as well as a set of T handle allen wrenches, that oddly have no 1/4" sized wrench.

Rick Potter

PS: If you decide to go clamp huntin' in my woods, don't bother with Lowes stores in Upland, San Dimas, Rancho, or Fontana. They are hunted out.

Mike Heidrick
06-09-2014, 4:57 PM
Our store has not decided to clearance any out yet :rolleyes: I really like those smaller ones.

Another great Bessey is the 7" throat 16" long HD Tradesman F style clamp.

Jeremy Ferguson
06-09-2014, 7:17 PM
I was hunting around as well on Saturday. I had already picked up some k bodies a couple weeks ago. I scored a half dozen 3/4 pipe clamps for $3.60/ea, a couple of the mini bar clamps for $1.60/ea, and two of the cheapo wood vises for $4.80/ea. i know the vises are pobably barely functional but for that price its hard to say no.

Shawn Pixley
06-09-2014, 8:32 PM
I cleaned Ventura County out of the Bessey Revo (48", 31" & 24") a couple months back.

Rick Potter
06-09-2014, 9:10 PM
You know, all the stores I visited had 4,5, and 6 machinist vices at reduced prices. I left some pipe clamps there too.

RP

Dave Zellers
06-09-2014, 9:12 PM
I already have all the clamps I need.

:cool:

NOT!

But I do have about twice as many as I ever thought I would have.

Which is half as many as I need?

Andrew Hughes
06-09-2014, 9:41 PM
I snoozed on this one.Good F clamps are worth their weight.Is it still true the one with the most clamps in the end wins?

Albert Lee
06-09-2014, 9:45 PM
I've recently bought myself a set of corner clamp by Lamello. Simple and fast to use, not cheap, about $300 USD.

in compareson to the $20 corner clamp I've bought, I dont think I will ever use the cheap clamp again.

Brian Tymchak
06-10-2014, 8:06 AM
Another great Bessey is the 7" throat 16" long HD Tradesman F style clamp.

Yes! Put those on sale... I dare 'em... ;)

Actually Amazon has those for $30 each, $10 off. But, that's still a bit too much for my wallet right now.

Michael Kellough
06-10-2014, 12:08 PM
Yes! Put those on sale... I dare 'em... ;)

Actually Amazon has those for $30 each, $10 off. But, that's still a bit too much for my wallet right now.

Amazon's variable pricing algorithm must really take me for a sucker @ $46 each.

John Lifer
06-11-2014, 7:27 AM
Down here, clearance is putting them 10% off and folks buying them out.....BTW, was in the big orange the other day and they had a set of Bessy's 6" and 12" two each for $20.... Short, but $5 each is a steal. Special box in front of store.

Brian Tymchak
06-11-2014, 8:05 AM
So I went back and took a closer look at the Amazon deal I saw. It's actually Rockler selling thru Amazon and Rockler has the same deal on their website.

Don Huffer
06-11-2014, 8:36 AM
So I went back and took a closer look at the Amazon deal I saw. It's actually Rockler selling thru Amazon and Rockler has the same deal on their website.

I just never understood why Amazon would be a place to shop. I have tried many times but they never have the best price for items I'm looking for.

Don

Steve Rozmiarek
06-11-2014, 8:40 AM
Apparently I've been distracted by other non important issues, and am late to the party. Lowes is liquidating Bessey??? That was the only reason I ever went there!