PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Clewes in Minnesota

Jeff Belany
06-09-2014, 10:35 AM
Had an opportunity to go to a Jimmy Clewes demo in Duluth, Minnesota on Saturday. Almost 8 hours watching a very talented turner making some very nice items. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not an experienced turner of larger items like bowls. I've been turning since 1996 but almost all that time I have made are pens and other small items which I feel I'm reasonably good it. I have tried a few bowls and small vases but never have done much of it. What I really liked about Clewes was he has similar ideas to mine as far as types of turnings -- I have always done things that are more utilitarian that 'art'. I have nothing against people that make beautiful hollow forms or super thin bowls but it isn't my style of turning -- to each his own.

I got to see a nice small box, a beautiful bowl, a small platter with a black and gold rim and a wood hat made by this talented artisan. Anyway, I was a great day watching and listening to a great turner. Wish I had more opportunity to do so. Up here in the boonies we don't get many chances.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

charlie knighton
06-09-2014, 11:41 AM
yes, Jimmy C. is to be admired. enjoy your work

Quinn McCarthy
06-12-2014, 12:45 PM
Sounds like fun.

Was that part of the duluth turning club?

Quinn

Jeff Belany
06-17-2014, 11:26 AM
I went to the demo but there was also 3 days of workshops you could sign up for. All sponsored by the Lake Superior Woodturners.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin