PDA

View Full Version : Any Powermatic Drill Press Experts In The House?

John McClanahan
06-08-2014, 9:59 PM
I recently bought a Powermatic drill press model 1150A. For $175, I figured I could spend some money getting it in good running condition and still be ahead. Other than a good cleaning and repairing the quill return spring, everything seems good, except for chuck taper.

This model came with a JT33 taper for the chuck and the chuck has spun on the taper. The chuck had a threaded retaining collar to prevent the chuck from falling off. As such, the chuck spun enough to damage the spindle taper.

While inspecting the taper, I noticed a ring that looked like the tapered end plugged into the spindle. I also noticed a roll pin above the retaining collar threads. It further makes me think the spindle and taper are two pieces. Does anyone know if this is correct?? If so, can the stub be pulled out, or is it pressed in?

If the taper can be removed from the spindle, I may check into having a new stub made, this time to accept a #2 morse taper. A morse taper spindle was an option when the drill press was new, but finding a morse taper spindle now may require a lot of searching and waiting.

Below is a picture of what I see.

Thanks,
John

Andy Pratt
06-08-2014, 11:03 PM
always worth checking with powermatic, their customer service has always been top notch every time I've called, maybe they still have some old #2 MT parts around, or might at least be able to give you input

wish I could help on your specific problem, my pm drill press is a newer design that is different though

Sid Matheny
06-09-2014, 1:02 AM
It has been about 40 years since I used to machine those but as I remember it is all one item. To bad you did not get one with the #2MT. Not sure about the roll pin? Sorry, not much help.

Sid

Ronald Blue
06-09-2014, 6:06 AM
I looked at the manual online and it appears that the main spindle is one piece. If would appear the roll pin only holds the threaded collar on. If the JT 33 chuck mounting taper is a scored as it appears you are with few options. It does appear the spindle is available with the Morse taper socket from ereplacementparts.com/taper-socket-quill-assembly-p-1799454.html. Not inexpensive but a last resort option. I hope the rest of the machine is better. Just curious, was the chuck off the spindle when you purchased this? Good luck.

John McClanahan
06-09-2014, 8:17 AM
I did multiple searches including ereplacementparts and both types of spindle are obsolete. I couldn't find the 1799454 part (help, please!). The threads are for a collar that is used to force the chuck off of the taper, so I would be surprised if the roll pin held the threads on. The threads also receive the chuck mounted collar that holds the chuck on. The chuck spun on the taper, but the collar kept the chuck from coming off.

John

Charles Taylor
06-09-2014, 8:52 AM
The threads are for a collar that is used to force the chuck off of the taper, so I would be surprised if the roll pin held the threads on.

That's the way the spindle on my Delta 15-655 is made.

Harold Weaver
06-09-2014, 3:44 PM
John,
Try the OWWM forum with this one. Bob Vaughn is the Powermatic guru over there and frequently provides PM advice when you post and should be able to assist you about the spindle. I believe they also have a classified section for finding old parts as well. Post a "wanted to buy", it amazes me how many of those guys NEVER throw away anything from old machines!

Doug Ladendorf
06-09-2014, 3:52 PM
I was thinking exactly what Harold said. Some OWWM guys hang around here but the specifics you need will be cake for Bob and others on OWWM.

I had an 1150A that also had some issues in this area but before I could work on it I sold it for my current 1970 1150.

Ronald Blue
06-09-2014, 9:36 PM
I just tested my link and it still shows as a valid part. It does say it's direct sourced from Powermatic and to allow 11-17 business days. Try part number 2640018.

John McClanahan
06-09-2014, 11:22 PM
Thanks, Ronald. That part number worked. I may check with a local machine shop to see what can be done for my spindle. I do like the morse taper socket spindle, though.

I guess I should sign up at OWWM, too. I seem to visit there often.

From what I found at OWWM, this problem is somewhat common, since the chuck is held in place to continue slipping.

John