PDA

View Full Version : Dining room table and bench seat

Robert McGowen
06-08-2014, 5:45 PM
I was asked to build a "distressed farmhouse style" table. The general plans were provided for me, but like most things you build, I had to make some design changes on the fly. And naturally, the requested table size was just a few inches different than the plan, which throws everything off. It is made from Canadian white pine, with a dark walnut stain, and 6 coats of wipe-on poly. Other than a set of bunk beds for my twins quite a few years ago, this is my first real furniture build. Comments or critiques are welcome. Thank you for looking.

Yonak Hawkins
06-08-2014, 7:23 PM
It looks good to me, Robert. It seems to fit the bill for what they asked for. It looks well made and well designed. Question : Are the turnbuckles functional or are they simply acting as stretchers ? They definitely add to the style.

Pat Barry
06-09-2014, 8:38 AM
I like it, especially the legs. Much better than typical vertical legs. Do you find that the end overhang and lower strecher are comfortable for sitting down to dinner? Can you provide the overhang dimension for the two ends?

Mike Wilkins
06-09-2014, 9:20 AM
Looks great from here. I love that turnbuckle stretcher idea for the bench. Makes it look rustic, which I assume is the intention.

Cooper Anderson
06-11-2014, 10:00 PM
I'm very new to woodworking, so this may be a dumb question, but can you make a table and bench like this without a jointer or a planer?

Jim Becker
06-12-2014, 10:13 AM
I really like that! Stout, functional and beautiful!

lowell holmes
06-12-2014, 10:23 AM
What is Canadian white pine? I've never seen white pine available in 8/4 thicknesses.

I like the table and benches.

Gus Dundon
06-18-2014, 3:52 PM
That's a pretty looking wood! Great job on the build and design! A beautiful set.

Robert McGowen
06-23-2014, 4:55 PM
Thanks for the compliments.

Yonak - The turnbuckles are functional in the sense that they are real turnbuckles and I had to source the left-hand threaded rod for them. I used what is called 3-d paint, which basically means that there are particles in the paint that provide a texture. Once I sprayed everything with that, the turnbuckles were pretty much locked into place.

Pat - The overhang is about 12" from the end of the table to the top of the legs and about 6" from the bottom of the legs. The table can sit 6 comfortably and 8 uncomfortably. :) The owners use a highchair on the end for eveyday use, so the end space isn't really an issue.

Cooper - I did not use a jointer or a planer on this project, so I guess the answer is "yes." :)

Lowell - I went to a specialty lumber store for the wood. It was labeled "Canadian white pine" and was perfectly clear. It was very easy to work with.

Dennis Kelly
07-06-2014, 8:34 AM
Looks Great Robert! I was given the same directive last year to build a similar table. The only problem I ran into was finding the turnbuckles. Where did you end up buying them from?

Robert McGowen
07-07-2014, 4:26 PM
Dennis, I found everything I needed at McMaster-Carr. Website is mcmaster.com

Gary Holcombe
07-19-2014, 11:11 PM
Robert,

Very nice design and end product!!! Looks great!

Vince Shriver
08-04-2014, 12:13 AM
Very nicely crafted, very functional, very attractive. You did yourself proud - excellent.

Chad Easterling
09-09-2014, 1:37 PM
I got a turnbuckle for a dining room table I did at Grainger. www.grainger.com (http://www.grainger.com).