PDA

View Full Version : First cast resin pen

Bobby McCarley
06-29-2005, 3:02 PM
This is my first attempt at using casting resin and then turning a pen with it. Not too bad, but the fumes from the liquid resin are sure strong. Needs to be done outside only.

Bobby

Fred Ray
06-29-2005, 3:27 PM
Very nice, Bobby. I've done about 6 "pour your own" now. Gotta get the camera working again so I can post pics. I like that lavender color. Should be a good seller to the ladies.

Jason Solodow
06-29-2005, 11:11 PM
Those are awesome! Where do you get the resin stuff? How much different is it from turning an arcylic pen?

Dawn Sunkle
06-29-2005, 11:24 PM
Bobby, that is very cool.
I'm planning on trying my hand at a few of those myself as soon as I can get the supplies ordered. :)

How do you find turning it? Is it easy to turn? Do you have to be really gentle with it?

Did you finish yours or just sand it down?

Thanks for sharing the picture!!
Dawn

Matthew Poeller
06-30-2005, 11:04 AM
Is a great site for pen turning and they have a really great tutorial on cast resin making.

Dawn Sunkle
06-30-2005, 11:20 AM
I read alot of good info on that site. I'm just looking for "personal" experience :)
They look like they'll be alot like turning the clay pens.

Dawn

Bobby McCarley
06-30-2005, 12:10 PM
Thanks for the comments. I haven't turned any other arcylic blanks so I'm not sure how they compare. The only thing with mixing your own is getting the mix right.This batch is kind of brittle, so you have to be extra gentle when turning. I think I put in too much hardner. You need really sharp tools also. On sanding this one , I went up to 1500 and then just polished it using automotive rubbing compound. There are other and better products available to polish you pen, but I don't have any on hand yet.

Bobby
Louisiana