PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G0586 Jointer

Brian Gleason
06-08-2014, 6:14 AM
I found a Grizzly G0586 Jointer for sale. Looks be be in good shape, no rust, well maintained. Has a spiral cutterhead. Assuming it is in good condition, can you folks please shed some light on what a good price would be for this? If i Take the cost new (back then) and the cost of a new cutterhead it comes to about $950. Half would be $475 but i doubt i can get it for that (based on the asking price). Thoughts?

Thanks

Jim Andrew
06-08-2014, 9:01 AM
When I am looking at used machinery, I look at what the price is NOW, not when it was new. I sold a couple machines when I upgraded, advertised them for 60% of new NOW price and had no trouble finding buyers. Except for my old wood lathe, didn't even get a call on it.

eugene thomas
06-08-2014, 9:42 AM
Like Jim stated. Price now, condition and of course how bad do I really want it.

Jim Finn
06-08-2014, 10:03 AM
Yes 50% of current new price, as a top limit, is what I would pay.

Mike Ontko
06-09-2014, 11:04 AM
I don't think 50% of the new cost is an entirely reasonable figure to expect. Sure, I'd certainly be willing to buy something for that price, but I wouldn't likely sell something I have for that much of a discount...unless it was damaged (which I would disclose to the buyer) or considerably used/worn.

I just picked up a 6-year old G0593 this weekend (the G0593 is the G0586 with a spiral head) and paid about 3/4 of the new cost. But I purchased it from reputable seller--a woodworking instructor who has a shop full of beautifully restored old-arn machines that he maintains in near-new condition. (The case being, I know this unit was cared for.)

It all comes down to what YOU are comfortable paying, for what you're getting with a used machine (a proven history of operation with no or minimal setup issues) versus a new one (warranty and no nicks, dings, rust, or dust).