PDA

View Full Version : vibration reduction on 14 delta bandsaw

Mike Kees
06-07-2014, 11:35 PM
I need some help on finding rubber isolation mounts for the motor in my bandsaw. I just upgraded from factory 3/4 h.p. to a 1.5 h.p. motor with a 56 style base.(rigid) . I have heard of isolation mounts but cannot find a source. Thanks in advance for any help.

Bruce Page
06-08-2014, 12:17 AM
Take a look at Grainger or McMaster-Carr for isolation mounts. A link belt really helped to smooth out my old Delta 14".

Peter Kelly
06-08-2014, 12:48 AM
http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-vibration-control-levelers/=sbap26

I recommend the Heavy Duty Vibration-Damping Swivel Leveling Mounts 1/2 way down the page.

Would second the link belt as well as the cast iron pulleys from Iturra.

Mike Kees
06-08-2014, 11:11 AM
http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-vibration-control-levelers/=sbap26

I recommend the Heavy Duty Vibration-Damping Swivel Leveling Mounts 1/2 way down the page.

Would second the link belt as well as the cast iron pulleys from Iturra.
Thanks for the input. Mcmaster-carr is the source that I have been searching for.

Keith Bohn
06-08-2014, 12:07 PM
The fact that it's vibrating is a symptom of another problem, like maybe a set in the belt (to name one). I would recommend fixing that first.

Just saying.

Bruce Wrenn
06-08-2014, 8:58 PM
Before you do anything else, isolate the vibration. Take belt off motor, and turn it on. Motor doesn't vibrate, then it's not the problem. Did you replace the original drive belt? If not, then that's next. Run machine without a blade, this elimnates both blade and upper wheel problems. When you took sheave off original motor, did you bend it?

Dave Zellers
06-08-2014, 9:50 PM
+10 on the link belt. Band saws are notorious for sitting idle for extended periods which causes the conventional belt to assume it's resting shape which causes vibration.

I'd recommend, with the others, installing the motor mounts and a new link belt.

Andy Pratt
06-08-2014, 11:05 PM
I agree with keith, the vibration indicates some other problem which you should identify and fix before trying the mounts. Even if you also end up with the mounts, fix the root cause first before expensive components get damaged from it.

Mike Kees
06-10-2014, 12:15 AM
I agree with keith, the vibration indicates some other problem which you should identify and fix before trying the mounts. Even if you also end up with the mounts, fix the root cause first before expensive components get damaged from it.
So I have been reading all the posts and thought that I should provide more info on what I am experiencing. First my machine is a 1989 delta 14. I have replaced stock motor with a 1.5 h.p. baldor, have riser block, new machined pulleys and link belt. The top of my stand had considerable flex, so I had an additional 3/16 plate welded to the top. This stiffened it up considerably. The old motor had a resilient mount. Now I am bolted directly to the motor mount rails in the base. When my saw runs there is a humming noise from the base, I can fell the vibration on the one panel the most. The motor itself has slight vibration,when felt with my hand touching it as it runs. I can balance a nickel after start-up but it falls over at stopping. The issue as I see it is mostly the noise. I really appreciate the help from everyone, have ordered the mounts and vibration feet from Mcmaster-carr when I get these installed I will post again and share results ,thanks.

Peter Kelly
06-10-2014, 1:03 PM
Might be an issue of wheel balancing?

Myk Rian
06-10-2014, 2:32 PM
I can balance a nickel after start-up but it falls over at stopping.
You do know that many motors use the capacitor for braking, right?