PDA

View Full Version : Shellac on Walnut ply - Method?

Dave Fairfax
06-07-2014, 10:58 PM
Ive started my finish schedule on the walnut veneer plywood. It calls for a coat of dewaxed orange shellac to warm it, then Im going with a few coats of waterlox OSF.

The problem is the pieces are pretty big and I had trouble brushing such a larger surface without leaving streaks and high points.

I was thinking of using a pad, similar to a FP pad. Ive applied shellac by FP, but I would like to get a thicker coat so I dont have to apply several. Again, this is just to warm the wood before the waterlox. thanks.

D

Rich Enders
06-08-2014, 1:06 AM
Dave,

You are going to sand down the shellac anyway, so why the concern about streaks? Also applying more coats with shellac is quite easy and can be done quickly. I don't see the problem.

John TenEyck
06-08-2014, 2:51 PM
Shellac should not be applied to a thick layer or you risk crazing/cracking in the future. Shellac should only be applied in thin layers and you should apply only enough layers to create the thinnest unbroken film possible. If you want a deeper color, use a darker shellac, or add Transtint dye to it instead.

Spraying is the easiest way to cover large areas, but I've had pretty good luck using a balled up microfiber cloth. Brushing is the most difficult way to apply shellac, IME.

John

Dave Fairfax
06-08-2014, 11:13 PM
@ John....I used the pad and it worked so much better than the brushing.

@ Rich...I sanded it down and put my first coat of waterlox OSF on today and it looks great. I cannot stress the difference it made by using a quality brush with the varnish and Scott's brush care 101 was a great starting point

Jerry Olexa
06-10-2014, 8:06 PM
I reco you pad it on..Thickness is not a goal....I also wouldn't sand it between coats..Just my opinion..