PDA

View Full Version : PIP: DRI handscrew kit build

steven c newman
06-07-2014, 11:11 AM
Amongst the tools in the mail yesterday, was a Kit. From DRI Industries. :confused: Seems all the metal parts need to make one handscrew is in a bag. It is suppose to be for a 12" handscrew clamp. 290830 One page, printing on both sides, was included. A bit hard to read, too. :mad: I cut the jaws to shape, and drilled the first set of holes. Found out that the Forstner bit was a bit dull, got accused of "Burning Popcorn" down in the shop. Just a wee bit smokey..:eek:

So, here is a mock up290831Holes for the pivot pins are done. Will be drilling the slots next. Handle I guess get spun onto the rods? Then they have a split pin to be added to the handle. That means drilling through the ferrel, and through the threaded rod? This might get the be fun..:D.. Jaws are Red Oak, since I do have a 2x4 to cut things for this project, why not use the Red Oak 2x?

steven c newman
06-07-2014, 1:24 PM
Sitting around waiting on the oil finish to dry290858Might take a while...

Jim Koepke
06-07-2014, 11:38 PM
I built a clamp from one of those kits years ago. It may have been a Jorgenson, about a 3". I wish it was a larger size. If I saw some of the kits cheap enough at a yard sale or something I would likely grab them.

jtk

bridger berdel
06-07-2014, 11:48 PM
I have 3 or 4 handscrews that need new wood. sort of a reverse kit, I guess.

Steven Herbin
06-12-2014, 9:32 AM
Horror of horrors, I bought a couple of these at (forgive me) Harbor Freight. Cost less than any kit would have, counting my time in the calculation. If the wood parts beak, I have a DIY clamp build kit.

So far they work great.

When I decide to make a set with wood threads, it's a different story.

BTW, anyone have an opinion of the Beall threading kits?

-- Steve.