PDA

View Full Version : Changing Table with PICS

Ralph Barhorst
06-29-2005, 1:23 PM
I just finished a changing table that is for my daughter who is expecting her first baby in the middle of August. Imagine, I actually finished it six weeks before the baby is due. :D

This piece was totally made from solid birch. I put on two coats of Zinsser Seal Coat (which is actually dewaxed blond shellac) on everything inside and out. Then I put on three coats of Watco Wipe-On Poly on the drawer fronts and the exterior. I really liked the Watco Poly since it is almost clear and it has very little odor.

Robby Phelps
06-29-2005, 1:34 PM
Beautiful piece Ralph. The figure in the top is tryly amazing. Are the surfaces sanded or hand planed?

Jim Benante
06-29-2005, 3:07 PM
Ralph,

I am planning on making a piece very similar to yours. Do you have a set of plans for that piece? I have a CAD drawing from another SMC member, but I might need more than a drawing as I am still pretty new to woodworking.

You did an outstanding job.

Jim

Jim W. White
06-29-2005, 3:59 PM
That is one EXTREMELY NICE looking changing table. I'm sure your daughter is going to be thrilled with it!

Martin Shupe
06-29-2005, 5:50 PM
I like your changing table very much. The design is sorta Shaker style, my favorite. If I am going to make one for a future grandchild, I'd better get started now!

If plans are available, I'd like to know how to get some.

Thanks, and beautiful work.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-29-2005, 6:08 PM
Ralph.....You've created a family heirloom! Bravo!

Vince Sandy
06-29-2005, 6:12 PM
Outstanding. Beautiful, functional, and should be durable with that finish.

Nice piece. Vince

Ralph Barhorst
06-29-2005, 6:20 PM
Beautiful piece Ralph. The figure in the top is tryly amazing. Are the surfaces sanded or hand planed?

Surfaces were sanded to 320 grit.

Ralph Barhorst
06-29-2005, 6:24 PM
Ralph,

I am planning on making a piece very similar to yours. Do you have a set of plans for that piece? I have a CAD drawing from another SMC member, but I might need more than a drawing as I am still pretty new to woodworking.

You did an outstanding job.

Jim

Jim - I designed it to be similar to one I saw in "Baby's R Us". I did draw it out on CAD but I did not include all of the details. I can send what I have if you want.

Ralph Barhorst
06-29-2005, 6:25 PM
I like your changing table very much. The design is sorta Shaker style, my favorite. If I am going to make one for a future grandchild, I'd better get started now!

If plans are available, I'd like to know how to get some.

Thanks, and beautiful work.

Martin - See my answer to Jim.

Chris Barton
06-29-2005, 6:25 PM
All I can say is, WOW! Great job!!!!

roy knapp
06-29-2005, 6:36 PM
Ralph:

That is just beautiful and you can see that special touch of love there to.:)

Russ Massery
06-29-2005, 7:41 PM
WOW! love that top! Nice work.:D:D:D:D

Corey Hallagan
06-29-2005, 8:18 PM
Great looking piece Ralph. I like the shape and the finish looks tops!

Corey

John Renzetti
06-29-2005, 8:38 PM
Great job Ralph, I'm sure that changing table will still be in use for many future generations. In that regard sign the piece or have a makers mark or medallion permanently afixed to it. You don't want some distant long lost cousin to get credit for it in the years to come.
take care,
John