PDA

View Full Version : Neander chest on chest build – complete/final pics

Mike Allen1010
06-06-2014, 4:11 PM
I Finally finished acherry chest-on-chest build from Glen Huey's excellent book "BuildingEarly American Furniture".

Since the last post, I've install the hardware, lined the drawer bottoms withbook matched aromatic cedar and put on the solid wood, ship lapped back(book-matched "Whitewood" from the local BORG– whatever that is). This took longer than I thought – pretty much par for the course with the wholebuild. Here are some final pics:

Before I started with the back and drawer bottoms, seem like I needed another "shop appliance" – a little sawhorse to support theother end of long boards for crosscutting at the saw bench. The saw benchis the second most used tool in my shop after the workbench and Yes, buildingthe sawhorse now is probably procrastinating. Soaking wet Doug Fir from the BORG, fun little project tobuild by the seat of your pants without having to worry about irritating details like plans, dimensions etc. I'm hoping to get a dispensation from David and his fellow "end grain-averse" Neanders – personally I love these through, wedged M&T joints.

I have a cheesy 30-year-old, Taiwanese bandsaw with a shop made fence and a maximum 5 1/2" re-saw capacity. The poor motor was really straining to get through resawing this white wood (which couldn't have been softer), even moving at a snail's pace. Are there really bandsaw's that can re-saw 12" inch wide hardwoods?

I explored a riser kit and more powerful motor, but couldn't really find a riser kit that said it would fit and I don't know anything about electric motors so wasn't sure was looking at the correct ones – all I saw seemed to be in the $250 – $400 price range, and I thought for that $ I might as well just get another, bigger saw? I definitely need some advice about how to make this happen so I'm ready when I win the lotto (suggestions welcome).

Rabbits for ship lappingthe back. I've had a Stanley 78 for years but recently splurged on theLV rabbit plane and I love it! Plane iron holds an edge and easy to adjust and set up for fat shavings that make for fast, clean, square rabbits.

Keeping track of the alternatingside to rabbit for ship lapping is a challenge for me; triangle mark to keep track of the book matched pieces, then planning off the mark in final surfacing.... which side do I rabbit again ? The big gap in the middle is the last piece, and as is typical, I rabbited the wrong surface. Said "screw it is going in any way it's just the back."

Mike Allen1010
06-06-2014, 4:30 PM
Here are some final pictures, kind of glarey– I'm a horrible photographer:

I started this over Thanksgiving and working on it during the weekends took me just about six months. I think Totally material costs were around $900; $300 for hardware and $600 for the cherry, Poplar secondary woods and Cedar. Somehow that seems like a lot to me? – I could be off on that number.

The finish is a mix of Two colors of Watco oil/ varnish followed by blonde shellac and paste wax. I used Trans Tint to dye the cock beading. This is my first time for the turned, split columns and cock beading around the drawers– both of which I enjoyed and will probably do it again. Also the first time for the "seashell" carved molding - that was way too much work/eyestrain, probably won't be doing that one again.

Many thanks to Andrae Covington, Gentleman woodworker and vicarious tool collector, who graciously took the time to add linksto the previous post in this build:

Neander Chest- On- Chest Build Pics (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?211475-Neander-Chest-On-Chest-Build-Pics)

Neander Chest- On- Chest BuildPics- Part 2 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?211982-Neander-Chest-On-Chest-Build-Pics-Part-2)

Neander Chest On Chest Build – Part3 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?212971-Neander-Chest-On-Chest-Build-%E2%80%93-Part-3)

Neander Chest-On-Chest Build-Part 4 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?213287-Neander-Chest-On-Chest-Build-Part-4)

Neander chest build-Part 5 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?213908-Neander-chest-build-Part-5)

Neander Chest-On-Chest Build-Part 6- Drawers (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?215547-Neander-Chest-On-Chest-Build-Part-6-Drawers)

Neander chest on chest build –carving (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?217030-Neander-chest-on-chest-build-%E2%80%93-carving)

Now, at last the infamous "plastic bins" I got from the LOML can be replaced! – don't ask… It's a long story…

Thanks a lot for looking and letting me share.

All the best, Mike

Mike Allen1010
06-06-2014, 4:34 PM
BTW, is it me or is it much harder post pictures now they used to be?

I think I used to be able to highlight a group of pictures and upload them all at once, and now I have to do them one at a time. Also once I "inserted the photos online" into the post, when I tried to move them around to arrange with the corresponding text they disappeared – weird? Is it just me or is the IT stuff related to pictures now different than it used to be? Maybe it's the Alzheimer's…
Mike

Augusto Orosco
06-06-2014, 5:33 PM
Well, that's just so beautiful. Outstanding. My money is on your wife taking this one over and send you back to your plastic containers. At least that's what I would do if I were her! :)

Malcolm Schweizer
06-06-2014, 6:31 PM
Just stunning! That can be passed down from generation to generation. Well done.

Christopher Charles
06-06-2014, 7:07 PM
Congrats Mike, and many thanks for taking the time to post all the pics along the way. And yes, when you win the lottery, just let me know--there are bandsaws that do scary cool things (and these days for the price of a handful of premium planes).

Will look forward to your next build thread!

Cheers,
C

Jim Matthews
06-07-2014, 7:28 AM
Remind me to post my upcoming bathroom remodel pictures
on some North Korean woodworking forum where
no unfortunate comparisons will be made.

I look at your handiwork, then I view mine
and I feel (kim jun) ill...

Oh, to be talented.
And hardworking.
And persistent.
And actually finish things.

Winton Applegate
06-09-2014, 12:30 AM
That is one beautiful looking chest on chest.

W a y _T o_ G o_ M i k e !

I would say you’ve won !
Take a parade lap.

Photo glare. You and me both. I think we need to start looking for a two for one sale on indirect/reflectorated/umbrellaesk whatchamadingys that put light on without the glare.

I haven’t begun to fight in that quadrant . . .
but then I don’t have anything to take photos of . . . really . . . you sure do though.

Bandsaw slow

are you using a very coarse blade ? ? ? ?
I bet if the blade was four or five hooks per inch and sharp you could feed pretty well.
My guy with about four hooks per inch cuts the hardest stuff and moves right along quick like. Not a large saw as they go, would be no prob to cut 12 if I could squeeze it in there. This is about ten bubinga.

Definitely look into a coarse blade if you haven’t. Check belt tension (could be a bit slippy).

Up loading photos

Yah since I finally got real and gave them some bucks I tried the photo thing here as opposed to photobucket and I could only upload one at a time. I thought I used to send a group. What ever, I am just glad it worked at all.

Thanks for including the recap list of links.
I got all confused, and still am, I thought you used dovetailed drawers . . .
and you did . . .
I did, I did see a pooty tat
so . . . why the corner blocks in the drawers ?

Chris Griggs
06-09-2014, 5:56 AM
Wow Mike. That is a serious piece of furniture and it came out beautifully. Thanks for documenting the build. Its been very cool to follow it. You've got some sweet skills dude.

BTW, is it me or is it much harder post pictures now they used to be?

I think I used to be able to highlight a group of pictures and upload them all at once, and now I have to do them one at a time. Also once I "inserted the photos online" into the post, when I tried to move them around to arrange with the corresponding text they disappeared – weird? Is it just me or is the IT stuff related to pictures now different than it used to be? Maybe it's the Alzheimer's…
Mike

No its not Alzheimers. Something changed a few months ago. Not sure what, but uploading pics is a big pain now. Used to be much better.

Mike Allen1010
06-09-2014, 10:36 PM
[QUOTE=Jim Matthews;2275530]Remind me to post my upcoming bathroom remodel pictures
on some North Korean woodworking forum where
no unfortunate comparisons will be made.

I look at your handiwork, then I view mine
and I feel (kim Jun) I'll

Jim, please don't abandon us for some "North Korean" WW forum!! (though the thought of such a thing makes me laugh out loud!!��) - the Cave wouldn't be nearly as much fun without you!

I know you are being far too modest about your work and I look forward to your re-model pcs. Thanks for your nice comments. I always enjoy your posts!
Cheers, Mike

glenn bradley
06-09-2014, 11:42 PM
Serious piece of work and very beautiful.
and yes, the picture uploading is completely bogus now.

Mike Allen1010
06-10-2014, 1:52 AM
Hi Winton,

Thanks for the band saw tips. I would love to be able to resaw 12"wide bubinga! Think I have a 5 TPI skip tooh blade but whatever was on hand at Rockler definitely not any thing high quality.

I think my biggest problem is the motor on my band saw is only ¾ horse power and re-saw capacity is max 5 1/2 inches. I have to upgrade, but really have no idea about what kind of BS would make sense for me. I think I would like 10"-12" resaw capacity and the largest electric motorm build the biggest motoru I could run without having to rewire an outlet to 220 volts. I enjoy restoring old hand tools, but don't know anything about woodworking machinery /stationary power tools so my inclination would be to get something new,… Which probably brings me back to winning the lottery! I love hand saws and enjoy using them for every sawing task, but I have to confess resawing any reasonably sized piece of hardwoods is I think the reason why God invented band saws.

Yes the drawers are half blind dovetails in the front and through dovetails in the back. The corner blocks in the front are because the cock beading I applied around the outside of the drawers was thicker than 1/8" it should have been, and so the rabbit around the outside the drawers planed away about half the width of the dovetail joints joining 1/2" wide drawer sides that join the drawer front. At that point the drawers were already finished and assembled and I just added the corner blocks for some extra safety margin.

This was the first time I used cock beading around drawers. Next time I'll use a combination of thicker drawer sides and thinner applied beading, so that the rabbit removes less of the wood in the joint. - Definitely a lesson learned!

Thanks to everyone for the very thoughtful and generous comments. Chris, it's nice to know I am not the only one who has had more difficulty recently uploading photos - nice to know it's not "the Alzheimer's"!

All the best, Mike

Bill White
06-10-2014, 9:33 AM
Absolutely stunning.
Ya done good.
Bill

Jim Koepke
06-10-2014, 11:54 AM
Fantastic build and documentation. The LOYL should be thrilled.

No its not Alzheimers. Something changed a few months ago. Not sure what, but uploading pics is a big pain now. Used to be much better.

I noticed this a while back and posted in the tech forum about it. This started at the time of the last maintenance upgrade. Here is the post with the answer:

Yes, this is all an unfortunate change to vBulletin.

Long version: vBulletin had a very nice flash-based uploader based on a Yahoo API, but a vulnerability was discovered in this API. Unfortunately, Yahoo has end-of-life'd the API, and will not be fixing the vulnerability; and apparently the makers of vBulletin have no intention of writing their own. So, they have reverted back to the basic uploader, and left users wondering what happened to the nice uploader. vBulletin sites that still have the nice uploader capability have likely not addressed the vulnerability.

Short version: The uploader has reverted to the "basic uploader" to address a vulnerability discovered in the nice flash-based uploader.

Hopefully, vBulletin will come up with a better solution than keeping all my users wondering what the heck happened.

PS: We can upgrade SawmillCreek to vBulletin 5. However, this is a major undertaking, will involve downtime, has risks, and of course, will change where "everything is" (TM), which will garner many more complaints than the uploader. We will move to 5 eventually, but probably not until May at the earliest.

jtk

Don Kingston
06-14-2014, 12:02 AM
Mike Allen.
Several times I have read the parts of this thread and checked all the photo's and it is, to me fantastic. The descriptions will help me along and help inspire me to do more. The thorough descriptions and pics are great.
Hope you continue to do it this way. I don't comment a lot mainly because I don't know a lot but hope you know it's totally fascinating. Should be coming out in book form soon.
Great Looking chest of drawers and finish. Also agree with the black stain highlight.
Don Kingston

Wayne Babkirk
06-14-2014, 2:20 AM
Beautiful work and very inspiring.

Wayne