PDA

View Full Version : Afternoon Project

Chris DeGerolamo
06-06-2014, 3:21 PM

All of us going back and forth on firearm engraving, I figured I'd post these.

Please note there is no money in engraving firearms. Please explore other more productive uses on your engraving equipment. :cool:

Robert Walters
06-06-2014, 5:18 PM
Please note there is no money in engraving firearms. Please explore other more productive uses on your engraving equipment.

You keep saying that, I might have to ask gun owners to hand me chunks of wood that are sorta shaped like a grip, or a chunk of metal sorta shaped like a slide for me to engrave instead =)

I am curious though, what does the artwork of the checking look like?
Is it a bunch of /// and \\\ vectored lines layered on top of each other?
If so, does it get deeper where they intersect?

Chris DeGerolamo
06-06-2014, 6:07 PM
http://www.epiloglaser [dot] com/assets/downloads/sample-club/sc_gun_stock.cdr

You can download it there and see, but it's diamond shapes with several gradients of gray objects. Engraved in 3D mode, the varying power results in a 3D step. This is the only application I've [personally] found that makes money.

Robert Walters
06-06-2014, 8:47 PM
http://www.epiloglaser [dot] com/assets/downloads/sample-club/sc_gun_stock.cdr

You can download it there and see, but it's diamond shapes with several gradients of gray objects. Engraved in 3D mode, the varying power results in a 3D step. This is the only application I've [personally] found that makes money.

That's interesting...
Somehow I didn't expect it to be a 3D/raster gradient (jpg),
but I suppose that makes sense if you want that taper to each point.

It definitely gives me some ideas to play with as I really haven't played with 3D (on the laser) very much.

Firearms engraving that profitable huh?
Like WHEN you get the jobs (high cost per engraving), or lots of engravings (popularity)?

Konrad Birchfield
06-07-2014, 7:14 AM
Wow, those are great! Thanks for sharing this.
Konrad

Chris DeGerolamo
06-09-2014, 9:49 AM
That's interesting...
Firearms engraving that profitable huh?
Like WHEN you get the jobs (high cost per engraving), or lots of engravings (popularity)?

Both hold true. One-offs are charged accordingly; production runs are burn and turn.