PDA

View Full Version : Mail Call!

steven c newman
06-06-2014, 2:10 PM
Had a large box show up in the mail today. Inside the medium Flat Rate box was a Stanley #5290762 that won't take too much to tune up. Also there was a second plane290764the only thing as far as a name on it is a COLUMBIA stamped into the iron. Otherwise, it is about the same as a 9-1/2. Knuckle cap?

Third item to climb out of the box was the290772Stanley #620 Eggbeater Drill. Bummed out that there were no drill bits in the handle:mad: And the final item in the medium flat rate box was a Kit290773from DRI Industries. Supposed to be able to buils a fingerclamp out of it, all I have to do is make the jaws. Looks like I have a bit of fun coming up. $46 and change, counting shipping.:eek: Maybe it was a good deal. anyway?

Daniel Rode
06-06-2014, 2:36 PM
Bah!

All I got in the mail was a stack of bills. I like your mail way better. $46 counting shipping? I suspect the #5 is worth more than that as is. In fact, I'll give you $47 for it right now sight unseen :)

Marty Gulseth
06-06-2014, 2:50 PM
Methinks you must have been treating your postman very kindly.

Regards,

Marty

steven c newman
06-06-2014, 3:59 PM
Cleaned up the Columbia Block plane, might have taken 45 minutes, tops290776290782and tried it out on some walnut scrap. I even flatten the sole a bit with everything clamped up290783and then I laid out some parts to start working on the clamp kit290784Might get to that after I mow the yard....

Bill Houghton
06-06-2014, 5:31 PM
The block plane looks like an early version of the Stanley #18 knuckle joint plane. People are more familiar with the No. 65 low angle plane, but the 18 is a good one too. That early cap can be a little tricky; watch that the screw is firmly in the slot as you close it, as it sometime kind of slides off. The early cap uses different physics than the later one: the early one uses a spring-steel arch for the part that touches the iron, with the lever cap part putting the spring under tension. The later cap uses an over-center set of levers to snap the cap down.

Congrats on some good scores. Not a bad price at all.