PDA

View Full Version : Older Centauro band saw

Dennis Boyce
06-06-2014, 1:56 PM
Hello, I'm considering buying this band saw. I haven't seen it in person as it is a long way from where I live. I am hoping that forum members could give me a little insight as to the history of this model. Also the plus and minuses for a saw like this and what to look for when I do go see it in person.

The owner describes it as being a Centauro 3hp. 3 phase with the wheels measuring 50cm.
I hope that the new paint isn't covering defects.

Thanks, Dennis. 290767290766290765290763

Gus Dundon
06-06-2014, 5:11 PM
Centauro is an Italian saw. Not sure though with its relation to Minimax.
it looks like the vintage Centauro 700 or Primultini Band saw .

Dennis Boyce
06-07-2014, 10:34 PM
Thanks, Gus. I was wondering about the tires as they look frayed. Do you think that I could get another 40,000 miles out of them?

Dennis

Jamie Buxton
06-08-2014, 12:03 AM
Uhh... where's the motor? Or even where does the motor mount?

Other than that, it looks interesting. Cast iron, and minimal covers over the wheels and blades, so it might be pre-WW2. No rust, despite these pics being outdoors. Yeah, the tires are gone, and the side blade bearings look to be missing. So it is a project piece, but it has good bones.

Where in the world is it?

Peter Kelly
06-08-2014, 12:44 AM
I suspect this saw is not in North America.

Rich Riddle
06-08-2014, 7:12 PM
Dave will likely be here to offer advice. Centauro offers a good bandsaw and rebrands them for several companies. If it's much of a drive and not dirt cheat, I would wait for one that is closer. Where do you live?

Jim Matthews
06-08-2014, 7:34 PM
That is one sweet piece of Arn, regardless of geography.

Any way you can scope the bearings?

David Kumm
06-08-2014, 10:06 PM
Centauro did and i believe still does make a cast iron series of saws. Looks to be 1950s or 60s and missing some frame guards but a pretty cool saw. Is it direct drive or belt? I have a Yates snowflake 20" and it has about 10" of resaw and a 1 hp DD motor so this has a larger motor but lighter castings. Not a dedicated resaw but I bet it could be smooth all around machine with a decent sized table. Price should be < 1000 ? Dave

Dennis Boyce
06-09-2014, 2:29 PM
Me and the saw are in Mexico but pretty far from each other and the toll roads here are some of the most expensive in the world.
In the picture shot from the back, the plate for the motor can be seen in the crotch. I haven't seen a photo of the motor yet.
I can't tell anything about the bearings but it could need some.
I realistically do have to look at this as a project saw.
Seller says that it weighs 400 kilograms/880lbs. does that seem close to correct?
Would anyone have an idea on how much the table weighs?

Thanks to all for the replies, Dennis