PDA

View Full Version : Shop Hangers with Magnets

Keith Outten
06-06-2014, 12:55 PM
Awhile back I was in the process of glueing pen blanks and needed to make more of these shop hangers so I stopped what I was doing and got one of my metal benders off the shelf to make these. I use these to hang up every type of project you can imagine but most of the time they are a good way to hang up metal parts for painting. I can replace the magnets with spring clamps or hang items direct from the lower hook if it fits. The magnets were salvaged from old computer hard drives.

These are made from 1/4" round stock so they are very cheap to make and they are indispensable in my shop.

Shane Copps
06-06-2014, 2:37 PM
Cool Idea. Hope you don't mind if I steal it?

Shawn Pixley
06-06-2014, 7:48 PM
Keith,

Shane beat me to this. i want to steal that idea!

Raymond Fries
06-06-2014, 10:03 PM
Ditto for using the your idea as it is great. Gotta love this place...

Keith Outten
06-07-2014, 6:23 AM
I hope you guys enjoy your new hangers. These are simple 90 degree bends so you don't need a bender which makes it easy for anyone to make them real quick. The bends in my hangers will fit a 1" square tubing which I always seem to have a lot of in my inventory and I have 9 foot long pieces tied to the roll up door frame.

If you are thinking about bending metal for your own shop I recommend the Grizzly Metal Crafting Tool Set (http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2014/Main/645) model H5502. It has three bending machines that are all you really need to make some very nice shelf brackets and a host of projects for your home and workshop. The cost is $192.95 and you will have more fun for the money than you know.

The picture below is one of the benders in this set. It will bend multiple angles and roll round or flat material to make rings. This is the bender I used to make my hangers.

Andy Pogue
12-19-2014, 11:56 AM
Wow! What did the magnets come out of?

Keith Outten
12-19-2014, 1:27 PM
The magnets were salvaged from old computer hard drives. I find lots of uses for the hard drive magnets, I must have 20 or 30 of them in my shop. The magnets from large SCSI drives that came out of our server are about a quarter inch thick and they are a bit too powerful to use....I wouldn't want to get my finger between them and a piece of steel :)

Malcolm Schweizer
12-21-2014, 6:10 AM
Looks awesome, until someone opens that roll up door! :eek:

Keith Outten
12-21-2014, 7:10 AM
The size of the bends allows the door to roll up without contact with the hangers. They ultimately move all over my shop as I use them for lots of different projects. A couple days ago I used them for Christmas ornaments. Shortly they will be used to paint new shop hangers as soon as I get them welded.

I also have several large magnets that have handles that make great temporary hangers for electrical cords, face masks and they work great on the band saw. I buy these at Big Lots when they are on sale for a couple bucks each.

Halgeir Wold
12-21-2014, 8:15 AM
Nice idea, but the items hung on the magnets may get magnetic themselves, alloy depending....
Magnetic screwdrivers can be both a bliss and a nightmare.. :-)