PDA

View Full Version : Stone Mountain Chisels...

Harold Burrell
06-06-2014, 10:07 AM
Does anybody know anything about these (http://ptreeusa.com/bench_chisel.htm) (you have to go down the page a bit to see them)? Are they any good? They are on sale now for $19.99 for a set of 4.

Andrew Pitonyak
06-06-2014, 10:37 AM
I am not familiar with these, but, I see that they list the tool steel as 115CRRV3. I expect that they really mean 115CRV3. Apparently Pfeil uses their own blend that is similar to the 115CRV3. Of course, what really matters is then how they happen to treat the steel afterwards, but, the after tempering hardness should be about 60 (agrees with what they post) which is about like A2.

The handles look similar to the Mk2 Beveled edge bench chisels by Ashley Iles but the ones you mentioned cost for the entire set about what you pay for one of the Ashley Iles chisels. The handles look similar to the handles on the Stanley 150 series chisels, which are cheap cheap cheap ($10 for three chisels). I have a new set (made in china) and an old set (made in spain). They sharpen well, but don't hold an edge. I bought a set to practice sharpening so I did not mess up a nicer set of Pfeils. I found that I like the handles for when I am chopping out dovetails. The thing is that the 150 series seems to be everywhere, so, you might be able to find a set that you can hold in your hand to see if you like the feel (http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-16-150-Series-3-Piece-Chisel/dp/B00002X1YO)

Good price if the steel is good, but, I don't see any references to their chisels apart from turning. Interested in what you decide.

Harold Burrell
06-06-2014, 10:44 AM
I am not familiar with these, but, I see that they list the tool steel as 115CRRV3. I expect that they really mean 115CRV3. Apparently Pfeil uses their own blend that is similar to the 115CRV3. Of course, what really matters is then how they happen to treat the steel afterwards, but, the after tempering hardness should be about 60 (agrees with what they post) which is about like A2.

The handles look similar to the Mk2 Beveled edge bench chisels by Ashley Iles but the ones you mentioned cost for the entire set about what you pay for one of the Ashley Iles chisels. The handles look similar to the handles on the Stanley 150 series chisels, which are cheap cheap cheap ($10 for three chisels). I have a new set (made in china) and an old set (made in spain). They sharpen well, but don't hold an edge. I bought a set to practice sharpening so I did not mess up a nicer set of Pfeils. I found that I like the handles for when I am chopping out dovetails. The thing is that the 150 series seems to be everywhere, so, you might be able to find a set that you can hold in your hand to see if you like the feel (http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-16-150-Series-3-Piece-Chisel/dp/B00002X1YO)

Good price if the steel is good, but, I don't see any references to their chisels apart from turning. Interested in what you decide.

I might just go for it for $20 for 4. Can't lose too much. Then again...do I really need another set of "so-so" chisels???

Decisions, decisions...

Brian Ashton
06-06-2014, 11:44 AM
I'd say they'll be good enough to chip off concrete and paint - but not much else.

glenn bradley
06-06-2014, 12:08 PM
I like having a set of beaters available when I want to chisel something that I won't use my regulalr chisels on. For $20, they ought to do the trick.

David Weaver
06-06-2014, 12:25 PM
They could be anything, but if their hardness spec is accurate, you'll be able to do work with them. I wouldn't be afraid of them.

I had a set of chinese chisels from woodcraft years ago, and they specified their hardness and in my opinion met the hardness they specced. They were pretty decent chisels for the price. It's the ones that don't specify hardness that I'd be concerned about.

Those will probably have fat side bevels, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them otherwise being as good as any other chisels you have in terms of edge holding - unless you've got V11 or japanese chisels.

Harold Burrell
06-06-2014, 1:03 PM
...unless you've got V11 or japanese chisels.

Nope. Maybe someday...

Malcolm Schweizer
06-06-2014, 3:29 PM
They remind me of the blue-handled Marples, of which I had a set that lasted me forever. In fact, I still have them, but after many times leaving them out in the rain while boatbuilding outside (tool abuse- guilty), I retired them to beater status. I do occasionally sharpen one up when I need to do some outdoors work and it looks like rain. I also use them in green wood since they are already rusted.

george wilson
06-06-2014, 3:32 PM
I haven't tried chiseling down any stone mountains for quite a while.

Malcolm Schweizer
06-06-2014, 3:32 PM
By the way, if you were looking for a set to grind to some sort of custom spec, like a fishtail, skew, or low angle, these seem like they would be a good choice for that if you are like me and typically screw stuff up the first go 'round. You wouldn't be out too much!

David Weaver
06-06-2014, 3:47 PM

They obviously got their naming convention from harbor freight.

I'm waiting for a brand called "big tough smelly american".

Tony Zaffuto
06-06-2014, 4:06 PM
They remind me of the blue-handled Marples, of which I had a set that lasted me forever. In fact, I still have them, but after many times leaving them out in the rain while boatbuilding outside (tool abuse- guilty), I retired them to beater status. I do occasionally sharpen one up when I need to do some outdoors work and it looks like rain. I also use them in green wood since they are already rusted.

I was going to post the same observation.

Several months ago, I got a set of 4 chisels for $18.00 at an antique mall, labeled Greenlee, looked just like the blue handled chisels (Record, Marple, etc.). Made in Sheffield, with very tiny side lands. Top notch edge holding ability and the 1" one has become a constant companion of mine in the shop, topping the many dozens of other brands I have/

Harold Burrell
06-06-2014, 4:53 PM

Hmmm...maybe these were used to carve out Mt Rushmore.

Jim Koepke
06-06-2014, 5:07 PM
Hmmm...maybe these were used to carve out Mt Rushmore.

I thought Stone Mountain was in Georgia.

Mt Rushmore is in South Dakota.

Gee George, you've done everything! You really should find a ghost writer to publish a book.

jtk

Harold Burrell
06-06-2014, 6:41 PM
I thought Stone Mountain was in Georgia.

Mt Rushmore is in South Dakota.

Yeah, you're right. My bad.

Hey! That's a pretty cool carving! Isn't that General William T. Sherman? ;)

Jim Matthews
06-06-2014, 6:55 PM
They look like the unknown maker chisels I found for short money at the local "Big Lots" store.

C'mon - twenty buck?
I gotsta know...

Jim Koepke
06-07-2014, 1:16 AM
Yeah, you're right. My bad.

Hey! That's a pretty cool carving! Isn't that General William T. Sherman? ;)

The figures are of Jefferson Davis, Robert E. Lee and Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson.

jtk

Harold Burrell
06-07-2014, 7:36 AM
The figures are of Jefferson Davis, Robert E. Lee and Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson.

jtk

ummm...Believe it or not, I already knew that. I was just trying to "get your goat" thinking you might be from Georgia or something, where the mere mention of William Tecumseh Sherman causes people to go into convulsions. :D