PDA

View Full Version : Router Table Tops - Phenolic vs MDF

George Bokros
06-05-2014, 7:33 PM
I am considering upgrading my router table with a new top and fence. I am considering whether the added cost of phenolic vs MDF (between $90 and $135, depends on what size Woodpecker top I choose) is worth it. I know a cast iron top is best but truthfully I don't know anyone that has a cast iron router table top.

Your thoughts?

Thanks

George

Ken Platt
06-05-2014, 7:46 PM
Well, I have a cast iron top, got the biggest I could find, from Bench Dog IIRC. I like it. I figured, all my other tool tops are cast iron, why not the router table?

That said, before this I had a laminate one which slowly dished in the middle despite my attempts to shore it up. But it was inexpensive and served for many years just fine.

Ken

Jamie Buxton
06-05-2014, 7:49 PM
MDF has a few drawbacks. Over time MDF sags, unless it is well-supported by the box below. MDF is soft, so it wears easily. MDF swells if it gets water on it.

MDF covered top and bottom with formica gets around most of those issues. But I have to admit mine sagged over the course of twenty years or so.

Cast iron top? Well, I'm somebody who has one. Peachtree, $240, is an extension wing on my Unisaw.

Clay Fails
06-05-2014, 8:03 PM
I have the General International with cast iron top. I like it and would recommend you take a look at it. Very nice packsge with the fence, lift, etc.

George Bokros
06-05-2014, 9:53 PM
I have a good lift, Woodpeckers Side Winder. I just really need a better fence but thinking that a new top would be good to add.

George Bokros
06-07-2014, 7:03 AM
Does anybody have a phenolic router table top???

George

Phil Thien
06-07-2014, 10:04 AM

George

Well the top of my lift is phenolic and it has worn terrifically. Personally, I'd make my own top. But if I was buying one, I certainly would pick the phenolic over the MDF.

Only warning is much of the phenolic I've purchased hasn't been flat. But I imagine Woodpeckers is using nice flat stuff.

Thomas Hotchkin
06-07-2014, 4:34 PM
George
Have you seen my no sag router table top. IIRC it was about $50.00 plus. Tom http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?192909-Have-you-seen-my-no-sag-router-table-top!&highlight=have+you+seen+my+no+sage+router+top

Mike Heidrick
06-07-2014, 7:37 PM
Two layers MDF (glue and screw together), biscuit on an edge of 1.5" Oak, Laminate (bought a defect piece from menards for $10) the whole top. Cut out for teh router plate or lift. Attach to a table that has good supports. Works amazing and super cheap. That was my delta saws extension table - The saw fence was used to clamp on the router fence. I am sure the new owner still uses it.

Don Huffer
06-07-2014, 8:00 PM
Well, I have a cast iron top, got the biggest I could find, from Bench Dog IIRC. I like it. I figured, all my other tool tops are cast iron, why not the router table?

That said, before this I had a laminate one which slowly dished in the middle despite my attempts to shore it up. But it was inexpensive and served for many years just fine.

Ken

I have a feeling I'm not going to be happy until my top is cast iron. God for you.

Don

Don Huffer
06-07-2014, 8:08 PM
I saw a Corian top on a router table and will probably build my next one out of that. I have a router lift but it doesn't hang from the top. So sagging is not a problem.

Phenolic is a very good choice.

Don

William C Rogers
06-08-2014, 6:19 AM
I have a phenolic top. I bought one of the JoinTech tops from the guy selling them on eBay. It had a minor blemish on the back side. I installed it in a old piece of hardboard similar to a solid wood door about two inches thick. It is very solid. My previous top was two pieces of 3/4 MDF with a Formica top. Worked fine but had a leak in the roof and the water got to the MDF running that top. I have never had a cast iron top so can't comment on that, but can tell you the phenolic is much better than the MDF. If phenolic, I would get one already machined for the lift. I wanted to be able to use a feather board and had to cut the slot in my top. Phenolic is tough and basically trashed that bit for the one slot.

George Bokros
06-08-2014, 7:52 AM
Thanks for all the input. I have decided to get the phenolic top from Woodpeckers. I am not however purchasing the stand to go with it, instead will be using my existing stand / legs. With phenolic being so hard my plan is to mount the phenolic top to a piece of plywood using the per-drilled and tapped holes in the phenolic to attach the top to the ply then attach the ply to my existing stand / legs. This will be less expensive, WP leg set is for their larger top is $190, and allows me to recycle my existing stand / legs.

Does this sound like a good plan??

Thanks

George

Don Huffer
06-08-2014, 11:29 AM
George
Be sure to just make it flat. But please don't get out the micrometer and feeler gauges. Research the best height for working. Router work is different than other work and for me I like it a bit higher than work bench and table saw. Just MHO.

Don

George Bokros
06-08-2014, 11:45 AM
George
Be sure to just make it flat. But please don't get out the micrometer and feeler gauges. Research the best height for working. Router work is different than other work and for me I like it a bit higher than work bench and table saw. Just MHO.

Don

My current router table top is 1" thick. The phenolic is only 3/4" that plus the 3/4" ply will make the new top ~1/2" higher than the height of my current router table top.

My table saw is 3 1/2" higher than my router table now.

George

jim gossage
06-08-2014, 11:52 AM
Don't assume that phenolis is flat, despite the ads that usu say "dead flat". I bought a jessem phenolic and it was crowned 0.025". I complained and they sent another that was crowned 0.015". I plan to build a new table w mdf and a stout ash frame underneath to hopefully prevent sagging.

Keith Hankins
06-08-2014, 1:01 PM
My top is the same with the 2 layers of mdf with formica top and no sag after 10 years.

John Downey
06-08-2014, 2:40 PM
Honestly, I think people worry far too much about flat.

I've been using this for years, it's not flat and it just doesn't matter much:

Fancy stuff and dead flat is nice, but I'd rather get some work done.

Don Huffer
06-08-2014, 6:09 PM
Well I didn't hang my router on the top so I have a lot of advantages you hangers don't have. My lift is another best for router tops.

Would be very hard to find a router table with a better setup and ease of use.

Besides router sag is over rated.

Don

Rick Potter
06-08-2014, 8:47 PM
Hey George,

Before you do all this work, try setting your current table on a pallet or whatever, and see if you like it higher. I have one that is about 40" high, and I love it. You might too. A lot easier on the back. Mine is next to the TS outfeed table and it is also nice to not have to move it as the work slides right over the outfeed table.

Rick P.

Tom M King
06-08-2014, 8:56 PM

George
I have several that I made from modern bowling alley flooring, which is solid phenolic. It's about 3/8" thick, non-flexible, really flat, and harder than a rock. It was given to me as scrap left over from the redoing of a local bowling alley. It comes with a nice fake woodgrain finish on the top, but I can't imagine anything that would work better.

Grant Wilkinson
06-09-2014, 2:08 PM
I've had 2 Jessem phenolic tops and both sagged. My router in on a Jessem lift attached to the top.