PDA

View Full Version : BS, DC, YL pics

Gary Herrmann
06-29-2005, 11:13 AM
Thought I'd finally get around to posting some pics of my relatively recent aquisitions. YL stands for yellow lab. I wonder how many people will read this just to find that out. :D Technically, its a power tool pic because you can see the base of the DC (a Jet 1200 with the remote option) in the background...

And yes, I need to paint the walls in the basement. I don't even want to know how much water got in the basement during the flood of '93.

The MM 16 is the new model. Leo is a 2 year old model.

Chris Barton
06-29-2005, 11:54 AM
Great pictures! Kurt Loup is one of our SMC regulars and recently bought a MM16 on some sort of special and had considerable difficulties with it. How has yours been. A bandsaw with at least 12" resaw capacity is my only remaining purchase for my shop.

Chris

Jim Becker
06-29-2005, 12:01 PM
All very nice "tools", no matter whether powered by electricity or by kibble... ;)

Gary Herrmann
06-29-2005, 12:29 PM
But I haven't used it for any projects yet. Just test cuts. I want to play with the fence a little bit more to get the drift down right for the 1/2" blade I've got on there now.

Cosmetically, the saw isn't perfect (a very small pit in the table and some paint blemishes), but the table is flat, square to the blade (minimal adjustment was required), the guides seem to be working fine, the motor is very nice (and quiet).

This is my first bandsaw, so I don't know a whole lot, but I just went back down and it passed the nickel test. I balanced a nickel on edge in several locations on the table, started it up and the nickel didn't fall over.

This experience makes me think that I will be buying more Minimax products when I have the need and the funds.

Maybe Kurt got one that is a bit further away from the good end of the continuum? I hope he gets everything sorted out.

Michael Gabbay
06-29-2005, 1:22 PM
Nice tools! I think a small blemish on the table is acceptable. After you work withit for a year you'll se other scratches. How do you like the cannister?

Oh yes the 2 year old lab! :eek: My girl is 10 1/2 and still thinks she's 2. Leo looks pretty calm or did you just get back in from 8 hours of ball playing? :)

Mike

Kurt Loup
06-29-2005, 2:06 PM
Chris and Gary,

Actually, I purchased a Mini Max E16, not the MM16. I have the vibration issue that I had essentially resolved. To Mini Max's credit, they have been extremely helpful and sent me some blades for my trouble. I couldn't ask for better support. Attached is a picture of my E16. I plan to make a resaw fence this weekend to try out on a 12" hard maple board I purchased.

Kurt

http://www.loup-garou.net/sitebuilder/images/saw-449x581.jpg

Richard Wolf
06-29-2005, 3:32 PM
Gary, when MimiMax calls you for a follow up, and they will, just ask for some touchup paint. Small bottle with brush in cap and it works great.
I do not think the dog can pass as a power tool, looks like very little power to me. But he is cute!
See a recent thread in off topics about shop dogs, some good looking pups, and cats.

www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=21026
Richard

Chris Barton
06-29-2005, 6:37 PM
Hey Kurt,

My bad on the MM16 versus E16 statement. What's the difference? Also, great looking headboards in the backgroung of your picture...

Chris

scott spencer
06-29-2005, 6:59 PM
I likes what I sees! (but the mobile base on the YL looks a little inoperable in that condition! ;)

Kurt Loup
06-29-2005, 7:52 PM
Hey Kurt,

My bad on the MM16 versus E16 statement. What's the difference? Also, great looking headboards in the backgroung of your picture...

Chris

Chris,

The MM16 is 500 lbs., has 4.8 HP and 16" resaw vs. 320 lbs., 2.5 HP and 12" resaw. Most importantly for me, the E16 was $1400 cheaper than the MM16. There isn't any info on the MM webpage about the E16, but I understand the production models will be arriving in about 60 days. I think the E16 will go for about $1400. The head and footboards are for a mahogany bed I finished over the weekend for junior's bedroom. Months ago I posted a question regarding the orientation of the grain on the raised panels. To utilize the 20" wide board the best, I decided to run the grain horizontally vs. vertically.

Kurt

Corey Hallagan
06-29-2005, 8:16 PM
Sweet gloat Gary! Nice stuff..can't get excited about the dog right now.. I just had to give the dog a bath... dug in the mud and covered head to tow!!!

Corey

Jim Schmoll
06-29-2005, 11:30 PM
I realy like the head board in the back ground.

Jim frim Idyllwild CA

Tom Sontag
06-30-2005, 12:40 AM
Sweet lookin' machinery Gary. I have the older MM16 and wouldn't trade it for, um, for anything less. Let us know if you decide to spring for the Lenox 1" carbide blade - the cut is incredible, definitely a step above regular blades. I have had breakage issues though. Has this issue been well thrashed out around here?

Anyhow, nice machines and adorable pup. 2 years is still lots of puppy, right?

Gary Herrmann
06-30-2005, 8:39 AM
Yeah Tom, lots and lots of puppy. We also have a 6 yr old black lab, but his preferred spot is in the kitchen. He's also still a puppy. Come to think of it, I had a 14 year old lab that still had a bunch of puppy in him. Probably one of the reasons I like the breed so much.