PDA

View Full Version : Used Unisaw help please

Michael Matticks
06-05-2014, 7:40 AM
Hi All,

This is my first post here as I just registered. However, I've been reading the forums for months to help me determine values of Unisaws specifically. I am in the market for a new one and have seen a lot of people get helped out on this forum to determine if it was fair deal. Now I have one in my sights and was hoping to get some feedback on it. Here is the craigslist link.
http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/tls/4503217836.html

It looks like a pretty clean machine. I have a good idea of what to look for when I go to see it tomorrow. My concern is price. I have done a lot of reading and it seems like a basic saw in that range, without all the extras should be in the 800-1000 range, correct me if I am wrong. So I guess, how much do the extras add like the Incra fence and crosscut jig, outfield, mobile base, add? He still has the original fence (unifence) as well.

I should mention I've already negotiated to $1200 but it doesn't seem like he will go lower than that. Is this a good/fair deal or should I wait for something better? I've been watching craiglist for a while and there have been some that have been for sale in the Chicago area and haven't sold in the $1200 range that are very similar to this saw minus the Incra add ons.

I appreciate any advise/input the collective can give me.

Thanks,
Mike

David Cramer
06-05-2014, 8:30 AM
I think it's a very fair deal, in my humble opinion anyways. Ask yourself if it were yours and you were selling it, what do you think would be a fair price?

What would a brand new one cost, even without the extras, and think of how much money you're saving, assuming that there are no issues with the saw.

I'm not rich, but if I were in the market I'd buy it and not worry about saving one or two benjamins instead being happy with what I saved over buying brand new one...they are not inexpensive.

Good luck

David

Charles Taylor
06-05-2014, 9:48 AM
I think $800 would be a not-unreasonable price for a 15-year-old Unisaw with no extras. (For perspective, a few years ago I paid $750 for one that at the time was about 21 years old.) So in my thinking it's all about the extra $400 for the accessories. Were I in your shoes, I'd look up the cost of acquiring each of these accessories separately (new or used) and then decide whether it's worth my $400 to get them with this saw. Without actually doing that homework, I'd say *shrug* probably so.

Bill McNiel
06-05-2014, 11:42 AM
This looks like a solid deal, not a screamer/gloat but a realistic price for a quality tool if the Incra accessories meet your needs. Your numbers for a "stock" Unisaw are valid where I live. About a year ago I sold my wife's Unisaw for $1,100.

Jim Andrew
06-05-2014, 12:15 PM
Think I would look at the cost of the Incra add ons. Does the guy have the original fence? Have never used a Incra fence, and rip table. Might be a great setup.

Michael Matticks
06-05-2014, 1:46 PM
Thanks for the input.

I have the Incra setup for a router table but not for a tablesaw. He does have the original unifence. I have read some great reviews for the Incra stuff. Brand new the table saw fence looks like it can be had around $500 and the Incra miter sled for about $200. Add in the outfeed extension table and mobile base we are looking at well over $1000 in accessories if I were to buy a stock saw and equip it the same as this. Granted, I may or may not choose to purchase the Incra setups were I do start from stock, but I suppose it doesn't hurt to have them. Plus, I can always sell them and put the Unifence back on if I really want.

He did offer the saw to me for $1000 for everything minus the two Incra setups, but I figure for $200 more....what can it hurt?

If anyone else has some input on this I'd appreciate it but as of right now I'm pretty well made up on getting it. I'm going to check it out tomorrow morning.

Thanks everybody.

Myk Rian
06-05-2014, 2:32 PM
Just be aware that it's a right tilt, if that makes a difference to you.

Steve Mellott
06-05-2014, 8:04 PM
Based on the condition (looks very clean) and all the extras (including the Incra fence), I think $1200 is a great price. The only drawback is that it is a right tilt, as mentioned earlier. If I was in the market, I would easily pay $1200 for that saw.