PDA

View Full Version : Finally got my 37" SCM sander to work....

Albert Lee
06-05-2014, 6:10 AM
I've bought my 30 years old 37" SCM Uno (With platen) about 2 months ago(just over $1000USD) and apparently it was not oscillating, I was a bit worried and thought there maybe multiple issues with it, the technician from a well known machinery dealer/service company came through 2 weeks ago and found a faulty part, a plastic spoon with a small missing rubber half round at its narrow end which blocks air to activate the oscillation, he was hoping this is the only part required (probably the most expensive plastic spoon ever? $80 USD! ), we wouldnt know until the faulty part has been replaced

The technician came through this morning, fitted the faulty part, the machine runs. good.

the faulty part

The technician then spend about an 30min adjusting the machine and gave me a 10-15 min session about the sander adjustments and what to watchout for.

After the adjustment the sander on the left side will sand 0.05mm deeper than the right side. I dont know what is 0.05mm in inches, but I know 1mm is about 0.04 inches. so 0.05mm is about 0.04/20 = 0.002 inches! needless to say, I am very happy with this accuracy.

The technician commented the machine is in very good shape, has not been used much in its life time, if I clean it regularly, it will probably will outlive me.... Which is a good news!