PDA

View Full Version : Narex Paring Chisels, are they coated?

Andrew Pitonyak
06-05-2014, 1:56 AM
I purchased a set of 5 Narex Paring Chisels with my last order from Lee Valley. It looks like these may be coated in something. Anyone know off hand what I should use to remove it (or is it just in my head).

I made a box to hold them. Hand cut dovetails into Oak with a cherry top. Hand cut dovetails in Oak maybe easy for you experts, but, oak is not forgiving if you are off just a smidge.
I really like the front clasps that I used.

I am getting better at dealing with the inside of the box. If I posted a picture of the first box, it is a bit horrifying, but, this one is a few years later. I have another box that I just finished out the insides where I free handed the channels using a router. For these, I used the table saw to cut a groove but I did not push it all the way through. I then used a router to remove some of the curve left in the wood and I finished with a chisel. To make room for the handles, I used a combination of chisels and a tiny sanding drum on my Dremel.

Loren Woirhaye
06-05-2014, 4:35 AM
Probably lacquer. I have some chisels with coatings that just kind of wear off in use. I see the dirt line where the lacquer is wearing away. Brass horns are lacquered too to keep them shiny. Lacquer on the backs won't affect cutting or sharpening performance but if the dirt lines bother you lacquer thinner will take it off I reckon.

Tim Geary
06-05-2014, 6:13 AM
You can use a lacquer thinner to remove it.

Jim Matthews
06-05-2014, 6:29 AM
I just scraped the lacquer off my Narex mortising chisels,
with a cabinet scraper.

I didn't want any dissolved lacquer on my sharpening rig.