PDA

View Full Version : MM FS30 Smart Dished Tables...

Derek Arita
06-04-2014, 8:04 PM
Just posted this as a follow up to a thread on adjusting dished tables on a MM J/P. Thought there might be some interest here as it not only addresses MM j/p's, but also talks about flattening out of flat tables...
Just wanted to follow up on this thread to let those interested know how it all turned out. I took the tables off the FS30 and had them Blanchard ground at a high cost. Those who said that even Blanchard grinding wouldn't produce a dead-flat surface were right. The grind did however, result in 70% of each table being flat, with a much smaller dished area in the center of each table, measuring about .004", using a Veritas straight edge and feeler gages. This was far better than what I originally had.
Once reinstalled and adjusted, the FS30 is now producing jointed edges that are light free against the straight edge. After all this time of mediocre production from the machine, it's finally working like it should have from the beginning.
With all that said, I'm really disappointed in MM, more than ever now. If they had done the right thing and replaced my tables from the start, I wouldn't have had to spend all the money I did on a professional adjustment and a Blanchard grind, that produced tables that are finally, reasonable flat...enough to get a good adjustment going.
Had I asked for MM's help years after purchase, I would understand their lack of interest in solving the issue, however this was just a couple of months in.
At any rate, the grind was a good move and far less hassle than I thought it would be. The tables were easy to remove and reinstall. They are heavy, but not too heavy for this 61yo, 140 pounder to handle. For those of you who replied with similar issues with your J/P, I would recommend that you go for it, rather than live with an expensive J/P that is under-performing. More than likely, your grind will be many times cheaper than mine was...I think they saw me coming from miles away. Good luck with your dished MM j/p.