PDA

View Full Version : My Latest

Larry Norton
06-29-2005, 9:01 AM
30 by 18 by 35 tall. This is an order. Thanks for looking.

Larry

Ken Fitzgerald
06-29-2005, 9:35 AM
Larry....great looking project......red oak? If so....what did you use for a finish and did you fill the pores? If you filled the pores....what did you use and how'd you do it?

Larry Norton
06-29-2005, 9:52 AM
Thanks, Ken. The finish is Sherwin Williams Fruitwood Oil Base stain (I really like their stains) with 3 sprayed coats of Sherwin Williams Water Base poly.

Sherwin Williams has a huge selection of stain color. I also use their paint exclusively. I have an Accuspray HVLP gun, and from the very first time I used it, the finish has been perfect. If I can spray and have no runs, anyone can do it.

Larry

Matt Meiser
06-29-2005, 11:21 AM
I like it. Good job!

Ray Bersch
06-29-2005, 11:29 AM
That's just plain cool - I really like it - good job.

Mike Alagna
06-29-2005, 12:05 PM
Nice job Larry. All solid I assume. The finish is great as usual. I finally bought spray equipment. I tried to take your advice on SW products but when I went to the store closest to me the guy there was so unhelpful I left. I was trying to ask him about thinning for spraying and what he reccommended and they guy just sais "I don't know what your talking about- we only sell for airless sprayers". Oh well. Maybe I will try another store.

Larry Norton
06-29-2005, 12:33 PM
Mike, I thin about 20%. SW is a little thick so sometime I add a little more water. You really don't have to be that critical.

Ken, I didn't fill the pores. I know I should be.

Mike, the sides and back are plywood. It doesn't look quite as good as solid oak, but it won't move and it saves time. The top, front and legs are solid oak.

Thanks for the compliments, guys.

Mike Alagna
06-29-2005, 12:44 PM
Larry, At least from the pictures you cant tell it is plywood. I use it whenever I can for the same reasons you mentioned. Nice job

Alan Turner
06-29-2005, 12:57 PM
Very tidy piece of work, and I agree with your use of plywood for the sides as were it solid, there would be problems at that width. You would need to use frame and panel, I would think.

Alden Miller
06-29-2005, 2:33 PM
Larry, it always amazes me how you can make that SYP look like oak! If it were me I'd just start with oak!

Good looking cabinet!

-Alden

Bob Noles
06-29-2005, 2:52 PM
Man... that thing is sweeeeeeet! Hope my wife don't see it or you'll be making another one just like it :)

Don Slaughter
06-29-2005, 5:32 PM
Great job, Larry. I really like the proportions... raised panel doors...legs & feet. Just really is a classy piece. Did you design it yourself or get plans?

Don

Corey Hallagan
06-29-2005, 7:43 PM
That is a great looking piece!! Nice work Larry!

Corey